ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick with Alexis
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Anthology Return to archive
11-26-01 07:44 AM
Mathijs Since Mick is looking through the tapes at his houses vault, I thought I give him a hand (most can be released as is):

1. Bright Lights Big City
2. Roadrunner
3. Meet Me in the Bottom
4. Soon Forgotten
5. Aftermath
6. Looking Tired
7. Panama Powder Room
8. English Summer
9. Get Yourself Together
10. Godzi
11. Trouble in Mind
12. Blow me Mama
13. Surprise Me
14. Hold on I'm Coming
15. Blood Red Wine
16. Highway Child
17. Lady
18. Still a Fool
19. Power Cut
20. Thief for the Blues
21. Aladdin Story
22. French Gig
23. I was just a Country Boy
24. Pennies from Heaven
25. The Jimmy Miller Show
26. Old Glory
27. I don't know the reason why
28. The Vulture
29. Toss the Coin
30. Aladdin Stomp
31. As Now
32. Dancing in the Light
33. Leather Jacket
34. Potted Shrimp
35. Rock It
36. Traveling Tiger
37. Travellin'Man
38. Fast Talking Slow Walking
39. Fragile
40. I'm Not Signifying
41. Sophia Loren
42. Ain't Gonna Lie
43. I Don�t Care
44. Criss Cross Man
45. Brown Leaves
46. First Thing
47. Jamaica I
48. Separately
49. You Should Have Seen Her Ass
50. Windmill
51. Drift Away
52. Living in the Heart of Love
53. Slow Down and Stop
54. Act Together
55. I Got a Letter I
56. Windcall
57. English Rose
58. Heatwave
59. Let's Do It Right (Come On Sugar)
60. Man Eating Woman
61. Shame,Shame, Shame
62. You Know What I Mean
63. Back to the Country
64. I Love Ladies (AKA as Sexy Night)
65. Munich Hilton
66. Claudine I
67. Covered in Bruises
68. Everlasting Is My Love I
69. Jah is Not Dead
70. Jah Wonderful
71. Los Trios Guitareros
72. Angeline
73. Biscuit Blues
74. Broken Head Blues
75. Brown Leaves
76. Disco Muzik
77. Do You Get Enough ?
78. Do You Think I Really Care ?
79. Fiji Jim
80. I Can't Help It (AKA as Shaved Stone)
81. I Need You
82. It's a Lie
83. It's All Wrong
84. Light Up
85. Never Let Her Go
86. No Spare Parts
87. Petrol Gang
88. Sheep Dip Blues
89. Some People Tell Me
90. Stay Where You Are
91. The Way She Held Me Tight
92. Up Against The Wall
93. When You're Gone (AKA Redeyes)
94. You Win Again
95. What Gives You The Right ?
96. Not The Way to Go
97. Back In The USA
98. Blues With a Feeling
99. I Ain't Superstitious
100. Knee Trembler (?)
101. My First Plea
102. One Night
103. Serious Love
104. Tallahassee Lassie
105. The Harder they Come
106. What Am I Living For 1
107. Your Angel Steps Out Of Heaven
108. Break Away (aka as Chain-Reaction-Groove)
109. Dancing Girls
110. Gangster's Moll
111. Guess I Should Know
112. I'll Let You Know
113. It Won't be Long
114. It's Cold Down there
115. Let's Go Steady
116. Linda Lu
117. Lonely at the Top
118. Munich Reggae
119. Sands of Time
120. Still In Love I
121. Sweet Home Chicago
122. We Had It All
123. What's the Matter ?
124. You're So Beautiful
125. All Mixed Up
126. Looking For
127. Still In Love
128. Paris Tried to talk her into It
129. Broken Hearts For Me and You
130. Crushed Pearl
131. Deep Love
132. For Your Precious
133. Invitation
134. Loving You
135. Some Of Us Are On Our Knees
136. Stricly Memphis
137. Treat Me Like a Fool
138. What Am I Supposed To Do
139. What Are You Gonna Do With My Love
140. You're too Much
141. For Your Precious Love
142. Giving it Up
143. Hang On Tonight
144. Hell Hound on My Trail
145. Hold On to Yourself
146. Hot Line
147. Ready Yourself
148. Sweet Thing
149. Three Oceans
150. When I Get to Thinking
151. You've Got Some Nerve

11-26-01 09:12 AM
nankerphelge Doesn't that just piss you off as a Stones fan?!

My pal Maxmeister sent me a two CD set with fully 90 minutes of music I never heard before. Most of the stuff on that list I have never even heard of.

I'm sure all bands have stuff in the vaults that the haven't/won't release -- but it is absolutely impossible to have that much unreleased tuneage without at least 20 GREAT songs in it -- there is no reason for it. What the fuck are they waiting for?

I'm gonna have a stroke here..
11-26-01 10:15 AM
Cardinal Fang ...105. The Harder they Come.......

Yeah !! That's a great song with Keith on lead vocals.

It's SO GOOD, they ought to think about releasing it as a SINGLE !!

Release it for Christmas with a Christmas song as a B-Side too!! But not something corny like a Bing Crosby type Christmas song. No, it should be like a rocking Chuck Berry type of Christmas song.

They ought to think about doing something like that. I can almost see it now................................Probably never happen.

Later.

11-26-01 02:18 PM
Nellcote Hey Cardnial!

105 is not correct. This was already released as the
B side to "Run Rudoplh Run", back in the 70's, or during
my smoking days. Probably a good vinyl store may have it for you, at $$. Great song though.

Nellcote
11-26-01 02:24 PM
nankerphelge some people we just ain't reachin'
11-26-01 02:40 PM
Gazza Nice list - but quite a few of those songs have never even circulated

For all we know,many of them may just exist in a rough unfinished form

Dont forget also the countless "alternate" versions of already released songs,many of which would be worthy of release in themselves
11-26-01 02:42 PM
Gazza
>105 is not correct. This was already released as the
B side to "Run Rudoplh Run", back in the 70's, or during
my smoking days. Probably a good vinyl store may have it for you, at $$. Great song though.

keith's solo version was released officially. However,the Stones also recorded it in Hollywood in Aug/September 1978 - I presume thats the version hes referring to

11-26-01 02:43 PM
Maxlugar Yeah! And they should release the next album with all the
fast songs on one side and all the slow songs on the other!

Why the hell don't they do that?!

Friggin' sons of bitches!
11-26-01 03:24 PM
Joey Do you think Jagger reads this board ???

I know for a fact he reads other message boards .

11-26-01 03:43 PM
moy
quote:
Joey wrote:
Do you think Jagger reads this board ???

I know for a fact he reads other message boards.

i don't think mick jagger or keith richards use to read message boards, which boards do you know for a fact he reads?

11-26-01 04:13 PM
Mathijs Of course many of these tracks don't circulate -we don't even know if they fucking exist! BUT, it just shows how little we hardcore fans know! Two years ago we didn't now about half the songs on VGP's Fast talking, and they al DID exist! At least this list of songs stirs up the discussion �and puts an end to the �there�s no 40 good tracks available�.

Cardinal Fang -with your wisdom and wit: with The Harder They Come I mean either the 1975 version with Jeff Beck, the 1977 version with Sly & Robbie, the late 978 version of the Stones, or the late 1978/early 1979 solo version of Keith, which exists in a 15 minute version. At least Gazza was right.

Mathijs
Ps if you research well, you might be able to find at least 100 more, especially the early sixties and early 80�s have many more unreleased/unknown/uncirculated tracks.
11-26-01 04:26 PM
KeepRigid What would you suggest Mick do with this list, Mathijs? Do you think they should just release everything they've got in one massive package?

-How would they tour behind an outtake Anthology? 50,000 people and Mick launches into I Love Ladies? I don't think so.

-Do they release a "lost" album from their prime, featuring fan faves like Old Glory and Toss the Coin? What about the legal end of it- who has to see money from the recordings, are the rights tied up, etc.? Do they really want to hit the road at 60 and compete with their past?

-Do they couple new material with their greatest hits- and essentially negate any chance of the new material being well-received? Will critics keep an open mind to the new stuff over Brown Sugar and Honky-tonk Women?

-Do they package recent outtakes with stuff that's 20, 30 years old and essentially toss it away by marking it as 'From the Vaults', or should they keep it for a Tattoo You-type release?

-Should they recut some of the stronger material from the older outtakes for a new album- or will this offend the die-hards who've been awaiting the official release of the original version?

-Do they compile a definitive Anthology or break the material down using any/all of the above scenarios?

-What about a new album- which means even more outtakes? Do they cut a new album, saving an Anthology project for the band's downtime?

-Many have suggested that they don't have time to record a new album before next summer, even though it could always come out after the tour is underway. Do we really expect the band to sit around rifling through old tapes instead of rehearsing and gearing up for a large tour? True, Mick appears to have plans for releasing some older material, but who's to say they aren't long-range plans?

What's everyone's thoughts about this? If you want to demand it, you've got to follow it through logically.

[Edited by KeepRigid]
11-26-01 06:28 PM
Gazza Keith doesnt bother with the internet at all - so he said in an AOL interview anyway on the last tour

Mick's a bit of a surfer when hes not too busy knocking off models,socializing with Elton or imitating the lovely Ms Winslet.

As to whether he reads THIS board - well hes admitted in interviews hes read a few,so I guess its certainly possible in theory.
11-26-01 08:26 PM
Cardinal Ximinez I need no anthology project while The Stones are a functioning, recording, touring band.

There's plenty of time for anthologies after they hang it up. And then I'd suggest doing it like the Beatles did, release 2cds every so many months. That way you could have a 10cd set, but you don't have to lay out 3 figures at one time. A video series would be nice too.

And I want on the team that does the compilations!
11-26-01 08:34 PM
yellow1 Mathijs:
This looks like Karnbach's list to me...
You're being your usual inaccurate self when you write that most of these tracks oare finished.
Another "inacurracy" is your statement that most of the tracks on Fast Talking were unknow two years ago. Maybe to you, but this is totally wrong since they were first released back in 1995 on "Could You Walk On Water", which I must say was a BIG surprise !

If you want REAL list of circulated tracks go there: http://juiced.hypermart.net/

Needs some updating, especially for the GOODY GOODY 1985 tracks that recently fell into my lap !
11-26-01 08:35 PM
yellow1 Nanker/Maxmeister - what's on these two CDs ? Anything uncirculated ?
email me at [email protected] if you wish
11-26-01 09:27 PM
justinkurian This is my first post, so I don't know if this is going to work. But, I've been a stones fan for a few years, but I've never come across any boots of studio material. If anyone could tell me how I could get my hands on 'em that would be fuckin' great.
[Edited by justinkurian]
11-27-01 05:03 AM
Mathijs Yellow1, you don�t seem to get the point. First, this wasn�t Karnbach�s list, this was YOUR list, from YOUR website (edited by me. Btw: Karnbach�s book is horrible �even concerts that circulate on tape for 20 years are printed with faulty set lists in his book).

I did say that it is unknown whether these tracks exist or are finished product. I also said that many, at least half of the list �are finished product, ready to be released in an anthology like release. Let me explain: I consider Gangster�s Maul a finished song, ready to be released. Please Mick, leave the vocals as is, THAT�S THE FUN OF A BEATLES-LIKE ANTHOLOGY!

And you�re right, Fast Talking stems from 1995, in my memory it was just a year or two I�ve heard this for the first time, but must have been the remastered version then. Time flies when you�re having fun it seems�.

The point is: your website lists some 250 tracks, Nico Zentgraf lists at least 400 tracks, WE JUST DON�T KNOW what�s in the vaults, but it must be a lot! Still once in a while tracks appear unknown to any collector -remember the acetate with a Brian Jones penned song?

And in what form would I like to see this anthology? Beatles like? Tattoo You style? I don�t know, I am not an artist as Jagger is, Jagger has surprised the world for 40 years, I bet he can come up with another one. I would prefer it Grateful Dead style: just release EVERYTHING for the fans �on CDR I don�t care, as long as WE hardcore fans can get it somewhere.

Mathijs
11-27-01 11:58 PM
yellow1 Being inacurate again, I'm afraid, this is not my list. There's nothing called "Blow Me" on there thank God and other stuff is missing. Anyway if it were really my list, you should have credited me in the first place.
I don't know if I'm not getting the point, but you're making a point that's not well supported. As far as I know, there are only a handful of songs that were made ready for release. Sure the Stones worked on dozens of songs each time, but only focused on 10 or 15 for the REAL sessions when they produced the CD.
I stand by my list posted in another thread:
Living Is a Harder Love
Drift Away
Act Together (needs lyrics though)
Claudine
Let's Go Steady (Keith cover)
We had it all (Keith cover)
Make It Now (Keith, VL)
You Got It Made (Keith, VL)
are the only songs that we know for a fact are finished, the rest is baseless speculation.
11-28-01 04:44 AM
Mathijs Yellow1, this is your web site, right? http://juiced.hypermart.net/
That�s where I took the list from, and Blow Me Mama is in the Sixties section, at around 1967. If I took your list and just copied it I would give credit, but now I have edited half of the songs out of it since I believe they are working titles for other songs in the list, or working titles for officially released tracks �Silver Blanket for Salt of The Earth, Rotten Roll for Before They Make Me Run).

Further, I don�t know if you actually KNOW the songs you have on your list, but REAL FINISHED product are:

1. Bright Lights Big City
2. Roadrunner
3. Meet Me in the Bottom
4. Soon Forgotten
5. Looking Tired
6. Get Yourself Together
7. I don't know the reason why
8. Still a Fool (Hillside Blues)
9. Travellin' Man
10. Fast Talking Slow Walking
11. Criss Cross Man (a.k.a. Save Me)
12. Drift Away
13. Living in the Heart of Love
14. Claudine
15. Jah is Not Dead
16. Do You Think I Really Care ?
17. Fiji Gin
18. Some People Tell Me
19. The Way She Held Me Tight
20. Gangster's Moll
21. Let's Go Steady
22. Lonely at the Top
23. We Had It All
24. All Mixed Up
25. Invitation
26. Strictly Memphis
27. What Are You Gonna Do With My Love
28. You're too Much

Not finished product, but very suitable for a �Beatles Anthology� style release:
1. Blood Red Wine
2. Highway Child
3. Aladdin Story (needs lyrics)
4. Leather Jacket (needs lyrics)
5. I'm Not Signifying
6. Separately (best song ever, needs lyrics)
7. You Should Have Seen Her Ass
8. Slow Down and Stop
9. Act Together
10. Let's Do It Right (Come On Sugar)
11. Man Eating Woman
12. Shame,Shame, Shame (in fact, there�s about 400 minutes of tape available with many many tracks �for example an early work out of Strictly Memphis)
13. I Love Ladies (AKA as Sexy Night)
14. Munich Hilton
15. Everlasting Is My Love I
16. Los Trios Guitareros
17. You Win Again
18. What Gives You the Right?
19. Not The Way to Go
20. Back In The USA
21. Blues With a Feeling
22. I Ain't Superstitious
23. Tallahassee Lassie
24. The Harder they Come
25. What Am I Living For 1
26. Your Angel Steps Out Of Heaven
27. Linda Lu
28. What's the Matter ?
29. Looking For Trouble
30. Loving You

Again, I don�t want to argue about which song is finished/does exist/is fantasy/a jam, but I just want to �prove� there�s dozens of songs hardcore fans now about that CAN be released, and that we hardcore fans probably only know half of the list. Please remember the four acetates that were auctioned at Sotheby�s last year, with four tracks COMPLETELY unknown to collectors on them. This new tape of Dirty Work outtakes has shown up (with Some of Us are on Our Knees), and half of the tracks we didn�t know about. And let me surprise you: I know where this is coming from, and the owner of the tape has 7 (seven!) more of these tapes, with about 4 tapes really �releasable� (the rest are recordings through an open window�).

Mathijs
11-28-01 01:04 PM
yellow1 My bad anout "Blow Me Mama", Karnbach must have hacked my site...But then you left out Miami

Many songs on your list of Ready for Release are simply not finished. Here are some thoughts though
9. Travellin' Man

These are blues jams

15. Jah is Not Dead

That's an interesting one. Needs a new Jagger vocal though because at one point he says "If you wanna do coke, do it in another room..." !

17. Fiji Gin
18. Some People Tell Me

ok, provided Jagger did record new vocals for these at the end of 1993. He supposedly recorded 6 new vocals, so we're missing one (So Young was released)

20. Gangster's Moll - NOT FINISHED AT ALL
22. Lonely at the Top - NOT FINISHED AT ALL

These are run trhoughs and are not finished at all. Gangster's Moll was tried again for Steel Wheels, but they couldn't pull it off. I'm told they tried it again for B2B

24. All Mixed Up

possibly although it's not very good

25. Invitation

That's basically a rambling vocal jam between Mick and Bobby Womack and it's pretty much unreleasable !

26. Strictly Memphis
27. What Are You Gonna Do With My Love
28. You're too Much

ok

People shouldn't put too much stock in the 400 minutes (360 actually at the last count) of 1975 Rotterdam tapes as there's nothing of great interest on there and to make matters worse were recorded through a window! Jamming in the raw. The "best" was released on Could You Walk On The Water and Jamming With The Stones already. I've made a mp3 cdr if anyone's interested.

Interesting what you write about the Dirty Work Outttakes. The best stuff was put out in 89/90 with Dirtiest Work though. The stuff released last year is pretty much bottom of the barrel and I'm not anxious to hear the stuff recorded through a window ! Have you heard any of the remaining 7 tapes ?
What's the Sotheby's tape you're referring to ? Never heard about that before.
11-29-01 08:16 AM
Mathijs Yellow1, I don�t think we understand eachother; I am dying for a TRUE Stones Anthology for the last 10 years. I want it just like the Beatles Anthology: full of gems, half-gems, gems with mistakes, -the lot. So when we go through the list:

9. Travellin' Man
>>These are blues jams

Yes! And they are the best blues jams ever done by the Stones! Release them AS IS!!

15. Jah is Not Dead
17. Fiji Gin
18. Some People Tell Me
>>That's an interesting one. Needs a new Jagger vocal though because at one point he says "If you wanna do coke, do it in another room..." !

Again: these tracks are great due to the spontaneity!! Don�t spoil the fun by having Jagger put some �neat� vocals on it! Some People is great due to the rawness of the vocals (Btw, they did release this track �disguised as Wished I Never Met You �the guitar line is the same). Do You Think I Really Care is great DUE to the laid back vocals of Jagger, and the weaving of Ronnies Pedal Steel and Jaggers guitar. NO NEW JAGGER VOCALS!

20. Gangster's Moll - NOT FINISHED AT ALL
22. Lonely at the Top - NOT FINISHED AT ALL
Gangster�s Moll � I agree about the version we all know �but the Stones have recorded several takes of it, and it was planned to be released on Emotional Resque and later even Steel Wheels. So there are more �finished- takes available. Lonely At The Top �No it�s not finished, but put it out!! The Stones seem to like releasing mistakes �remember Love In Vain from Stripped?

25. Invitation
That's basically a rambling vocal jam between Mick and Bobby Womack and it's pretty much unreleasable !

But it�s a great song!! Didn�t the Stones grow big due to their �rambling spontaneity�? This is the spontaneity I am missing so much these days!

Of course the Rotterdam 75 tapes can�t be released, they sound horrible. But the tapes were recorded next to the Stones Mobile unit, don�t you thing they have hours of tapes waiting somewhere? And yes, I have heard the DW tapes �and agrea with you it�s bottom of the barrel. But it�s just to prove we hardcore collectors don�t know more than 10% of what the Stones have recorded in 40 years of studio time. Can I give the Stones some more hints?

1. Release the tapes of the Stephan Stills� basement jams, 1969;
2. Release the Mick Taylor/Mick Jagger tapes �Stargroves 1970
3. Release the tapes of Keith and Gram Parsons, recorded in 1971;
4. Release the jams with Eric Clapton, 1975;
5. Release the Hollywood recordings of 1978;
6. Release the Muddy Waters Checkerboard tapes;

The Stones have recorded EVERY concert given from the 1972 on! Start releasing box sets!

Mathijs
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Rollling Stones in Review

http://stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl/

The Lowdown on the Guitars of Keith Richards
Bootleg Reviews
Brussels Affair 1973
Vinyl Gang Productions / The Swingin' Pig
----------------------------------------------------------------
11-29-01 09:43 AM
hayo Mathijs I couldn't agree with you more!
What about releasing for example the El Mocambo concerts from 1977.
Some of the best concerts they have given in the Ronnie Wood era.
(Based on Love You Live and bootleg material that we collectors already have.)
They could release this for example via their website.
It's time for decent Box sets!
11-29-01 10:10 PM
yellow1 Talking about tapes, I would probably swin across the Atlantic Ocean if I could get the key to that cupboard where Mick stores the tapes of all these sessions, as seen on "Being Mick" !

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.