ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick with Alexis
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger's record is selling well in the US and Canada Return to archive
11-23-01 11:00 AM
VOODOO Mick Jagger's new record is selling fairly well this week and should enter the Billoard top forty around #25.

The record is gettng quite good reviews on this side of the pond (Ex: Rolling Stone magazine awarded the record 5 0ut of 5 stars)

I can tell you as fact that the US sales are what was expected. The people at the company feel the record is good enough to have legs (To last on the charts for quite a while) and attract some Stones fans who simply don't buy Solo Jagger disc's. They have done a hell of a job pushing this new record. An example of this is the tv special that aired last night.

As I write this the record has moved up several spots on the Amazon.com site as well as the CD now site. You can attribute this to the ABC special that aired in the United States last night. The record is in the top 20 and climbing on both sites (It will move up and down through the day)

On the other hand people are suprised how poorly the record is selling in England. We knew that there is a certain bitterness towards Jagger and Stones in England (Most of it is not deserved) but nothing like what we have seen.

The Brits are more into disposable music than the United States is. Remember how big the Spice Gilrs were and how big Robbie Williams is in England?

In the US Robbie Williams is a very minor star I would venture to say that the vast majority of teens do not even know who he is. He had a minor hit with that tune he stole from the 007 flick, but he hardly has a fanbase in the US.

While Jagger on the other hand is considered a true artist. He and the Stones in the US as well as most of the rest of the world are respected legends that continue to be the biggest live act in the world. You Brits should get your heads out of your arse and put down your Robbie and Spice records and search out the real thing.

On the other hand record companies do have a tough time of selling older artists to younger record buyers. Look at the sales of Eric Clapton's Paul McCartney,Rod Stewart's last record's even U2's last couple of disc's sold poorly. The problem is that older people don't buy as much music as young people and radio as well as Mtv is selling to teenagers and is not likely to take a chance playing a new record by a legendary artist. Jagger,Clapton etc are clearly bigger stars but the majority of their fanbase does not as many records as they once did.

But on the other hand these same artists sellout live concerts and have much more stronger fans bases than the average teen band. The record industry does not know how to get artists like Elton John or Mick Jagger equal play time with lightweights like Britney Spears.

It is true the Britney Spears sells more records than Elton John today but I would also bet my life that in ten years her fans would have moved on to the next flavor of the moment while Elton John will still be playing to large crowds and selling about the same # of records he does today.

Not to worry Stones fans, in most of the world Jagger's record will sell fairly well and the next Stones venture will be the ususal blockbuster. (see my prior post)
11-23-01 11:05 AM
VOODOO If only I could type as fast as i think. Sorry for the spelling errors that I just noticed.
11-23-01 11:32 AM
Lazy Bones Well that's good news! The boss has banned me from buying any albums until Christmas. Hopefully she's helped boost that number by one. I trust she knows better..lol!
Regarding, Being Mick, it was a nice glimpse as the program was offered on ABC and Global (Toronto-based) here in Canada.
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
11-23-01 12:26 PM
L&A Voodoo, you're the best !!!
11-23-01 01:51 PM
Bob Tamp It's a decent album. I think Virgin should go for DONT CALL ME UP and VOP asap to radio, and this album will be huge.
11-23-01 02:28 PM
Maxlugar VOP is good but I hate Don't Call Me Up.

My favorite so far is Hideway. If only the Reggae factor
of this song was turned up just a little more it would be classic.

Joy is growing on me too.
11-23-01 02:48 PM
st0nesfan Joy is growing on me too. -Maxluger

Personally I think this is the most underrated song on the album. This song rocks!!!
[Edited by st0nesfan]
11-23-01 03:08 PM
starfucker78 It's a nice album. There's only one song on it that I don't like: Gun.
It starts with a great guitar riff, but the dance beats ruin the song IMO.
Next single should be Joy or else Don't call me up (great chorus).
11-23-01 03:19 PM
Gazza >On the other hand people are suprised how poorly the record is selling in England. We knew that there is a certain bitterness towards Jagger and Stones in England (Most of it is not deserved) but nothing like what we have seen.

I dont think thats the case. Most of the reviews of the album Ive read in the press here have actually been positive - and thats in quite a wide spectrum from serious rock magazines to tabloid press reviews. One I read this week said it was the best thing hes done since "Some Girls" and the general consensus has been that its his best solo work. Fact is,the promotion has been lousy. No solo shows,no Tv appearances, minimal airplay on radio,no single and I havent seen any video on any of the 10 or so music channels available on satllite TV here. Yet there IS a market on TV & radio for this kind of music. Blame Virgin - no one else. Mick's the lead singer in a band which can still fill stadiums here - and which WILL do if they choose to do so again. His people seem more concerned with keeping his face on the front pages than on the music pages. It isnt doing his credibility much good

>The Brits are more into disposable music than the United States is. Remember how big the Spice Gilrs were and how big Robbie Williams is in England

I'm not sure I agree with that. Maybe to a point as far as singles go,but maybe not as much as youd think. The Spice Girls did quite well in America too from what I recall..and America has its own share of "disposable" acts such as the Backstreet Boys and N'Synch (when they went on tour over there,wasnt there talk they'd outgross even the Stones? I doubt that'd happen here) to name but two. I dont think I'd call Robbie Williams disposable in the same sense of the word either,just cos he happens to have a large and youthful market and started his career in a boy-band..hes quite popular with a wide age range actually.

I think if anything the UK is more likely to embrace newer and younger acts,and that applies to quite a diverse range of musical genres,not just the disposable chart crap. Many of those acts arent necessarily the sort of bands that appeal to 10 year old girls. Theres been quite a few good bands have come out of the UK in the last decade since the whole "Britpop" thing took off (when bands finally started getting back to playing rock'n'roll with guitars in a style influenced by both the Stones and Beatles). A lot of that stuff simply wont get played on US radio or TV for various reasons - its a cyclical thing,I guess - America was more into UK bands in the 60's. Doesnt happen now (Im not puting the Stones in that category as theyve been around so long you cant label them - they belong in their category due to their longevity and universal appeal)

Fact is,very few UK acts have done well chart-wise in America in the last 15 years for various reasons - be it a very insular market,cultural differences or simply the lack of effort to conquer such a huge market - Bush being a strange exception..a band who sell very well in the US but who couldnt get arrested in their own country and who hardly anyone knows. Oasis - the biggest band to come out of the UK in the last 25 years and a band whose biggest influences are probably the Beatles and the Stones - didnt do well in the US for a multitude of reasons - be it culturally (Americans found them obnoxious,they werent keen on Americans either) and the fact that with such a huge fanbase in the UK and Europe they didnt feel the need to really push themselves in the US (maybe it was also because a US tour takes so long and the Gallaghers would probably have stabbed each other had they been on the road together for more than a month)
11-23-01 03:39 PM
KeepRigid Joy and Gun are the two that I expected to hate, yet ended up really liking (to my surprise).

Most of the songs on this album seem to get better towards the end, and I really like the gospel-tinged vocals that sing the chorus in Joy.

My favorite part of Gun is at about 2:30, when the it goes into that cool little musical interlude. (Did someone here comment that it sounds like a Bond film, or did I just think that?) Anyway, it definitely sounds like James Bond- with the orchestration leading into the acoustic and wah-wah guitars. I picture the Moonraker attempting re-entry.

The chorus is probably my least favorite part of the song, but I do like the dynamic shift from the soft verses.
11-23-01 06:39 PM
Stray Cat Totally agree Gazza. The British music scene is geared towards 8 to 13 year olds nowadays.The Stones,solo or band have no chance of decent airplay in the UK
11-24-01 04:07 PM
VOODOO The numbers for Jagger's record are getting even better in the US.

If you look at Friday and Saturday #'s Jaggers record will end up in the top 25 perhaps the top 20.

A couple of weeks back God Gave Me Everything was the most added rock song on radio according to the Billboard charts.

Jaggers last record Wandering Spirit got to #11 and went gold. I bet this new record will sell at least as many copies due to the great reviews it is getting here in the US.

I work in the business and from what I have heard the global sales are about what was expected for the record to this point with the exception of Jagger's homeland where the record is not selling well at all.
11-24-01 05:04 PM
adam krupa What is this - the fucking Rolling Stones promotion commitee? You don't fool me- why you trying to promote their new stuff, we all know their best stuff has passed, but there is no harm them doing the music for fun.

When you need something to work like they did when they first started, it's a completely different beast, to waking up in the morning knowing that you can have a fry up WITH EGGS + BACON!
I want to know something interesting about the stones - not boring shit like - "They are a GOOD BAND AND WHY DO YOU BRITS HATE THEM?" sO come on the fans tell me something that is INTERESTING
11-24-01 08:49 PM
VOODOO Hey Adam fuck off I'm not trying to fool you (Which wouldn't be to hard)

The Stones can still cut it today and it seems the people in the US know this while the people in England are buying Robbie Williams records. I agree we will most likely never see another Exile on Main Street or Sticky Fingers. But even a bad Stones disc is better than anything on your charts today.

And by the way as a whole we think Oasis is the most overated band in the history of the world. They are or were the 90's version of the Monkees. The way they rip off the Beatles is almost funny.

The people who even know who they are in the US (They don't have hit records here and they open for the Black Crows in the US) laugh at these Beatle wannabe's.
11-25-01 01:32 AM
Happy Motherfucker Yeah Adam fuck off like Voodoo said! And by the way, would somebody please tell me who the hell Robbie Williams is? Sounds like somebody that I went to school with or something. Mick fuck'n Jagger does not! It's to bad that The Stones can't get the respect that they deserve in their homeland. They will always be The Tops with us Yanks here!
11-26-01 09:51 PM
justinkurian I hate Oasis, but, i feel like i need to clear something up. Oasis and The Black Crowes were on a double bill, so they alternated opening the shows...just like the Dylan/Phil Lesh shows a year ago.
[Edited by justinkurian]
11-29-01 12:27 PM
adam krupa hahahah good one Justin - I've never been that keen on Oasis either. Maybe these people need to go get one?
11-29-01 01:16 PM
justinkurian Adam, can you explain that last part?

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.