ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Nagoya Dome, Japan - 5th april 2006
© Asahi with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: AC DC's Bon Scott To Be Immortalised Return to archive
7th December 2007 05:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels AC DC's Bon Scott To Be Immortalised
Statue of rock singer on view in Feb...

by Chris Beanland on 06/12/2007

Bon Scott, the late singer for Aussie rock legends AC/DC, is to be immortalised – a statue of him will be unveiled in February.

The statue of Scott will be shown to the public for the first time on February 24th during a testimonial concert in Perth, Western Australia.

The concert at the city’s Claremont Showgrounds will feature performances by Rose Tattoo, Noiseworks, The Screaming Jets and The Party Boys – a supergroup comprising former members of AC/DC, Status Quo, Mondo Rock and The Valentines.

Born in Scotland in 1946, Scott emigrated to Australia with his family in 1952 and was the singer with AC/DC from 1974 until his untimely death. He died in London on February 19th 1980, from alcohol poisoning, following a night out at the Camden Palace (now KOKO).

The statue will further cement Scott’s role as an icon of music in his adopted country. The National Trust of Australia have already placed Scott’s grave in Fremantle, near Perth, on a list of national cultural monuments.

AC/DC, who are still together with a new line up, were most famous for their two seminal rock albums – 1979’s Highway To Hell and 1980’s Back In Black.
7th December 2007 05:53 PM
pdog I'm just wondering, will it be hobbit sized like all the band members of Ac/Dc?
7th December 2007 07:03 PM
Mr Jurkka I just dont get it why people call Ac/Dc aussie band? Angus,Malcom,Brian are from Scotland?
7th December 2007 07:26 PM
stonedinaustralia well scott came here when he was 6 and the Young brothers were probably more or less the same age

but in a sense that's irrelevant - they are an australian band because that's where the band was formed and grew up -their initial audience was australian and their music was, in part at least, a response to that audience

i could also suggest there was a humour and attitude to the band, particularly the bon era, that was distinctly australian (not withstanding the migration issue) - again the band,like any band, is a product of and a response to its environment

it would be a bit daft to say they were a scots band
and johnson is a geordie isn't he??
7th December 2007 07:27 PM
pdog
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:
I just dont get it why people call Ac/Dc aussie band? Angus,Malcom,Brian are from Scotland?

Scottish hobbits sounds better too!
7th December 2007 09:21 PM
Scot Rocks We're claiming them!! haha nah definately an Aussie band, but with Scottish roots. Hopefully get on tour again!
There was some kind of similar tribute here about a year and a half ago.

Town's tribute to AC/DC front man

There was widespread support for the memorial project
A memorial to former AC/DC front man Bon Scott has been unveiled in the small Angus town of Kirriemuir.
Scott was born in Kirriemuir in 1946 and went on to become an international star with the Australian band.

His family emigrated from Scotland when he was six. He went on to rock success and died of alcohol poisoning in 1980 after drinking heavily in London.

The singer was remembered along with other famous Kirriemuir natives, including Peter Pan author JM Barrie.

The memorial plaque, carved from Caithness stone for free by a local tradesman, was unveiled on Saturday.

Musical legacy

Kirriemuir community council chairman Roland Proctor said there had been widespread backing for the idea.

"The whole community has been quite behind this," he said.

"I never knew Bon Scott at all. Until it was brought to my attention I was completely unaware of the man."

Mr Proctor added: "Music wasn't new in his family - Bon Scott's uncle played the piano in a local country dance band."

Despite Scott's rock star image, Mr Proctor said the memorial would fit in well in Kirriemuir.

"Kirriemuir has got the sort of image that it's a retirement home for people, but this is something we wanted to do," he said.

"This is a place for the young and old, it's inviting to everybody."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/4976606.stm

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)