ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Nagoya Dome, Japan - 5th april 2006
© Asahi with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Two "NEW" shows of The Who @ Wolfgang's Vault Return to archive
5th December 2007 12:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Hey Joey!!

One of the last shows of the infamous Who tour of 1973 found the British quartet playing to an enthusiastic sold-out audience at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Highlighting material from their recently released Quadrophenia album, as well as old Who favorites, this lengthy set captures the band at a pivotal moment in their career. Also check out the very last show of the tour from the Capital Center in Maryland, and head back to ‘73 with these two sets of quintessential classic rock

CLICK HERE

and LARGO Too.. Capital Center, Largo, MD 12/06/1973

HERE

5th December 2007 05:56 PM
Lil Brian A few, nice interviews tapes in the Stones section too.
5th December 2007 06:03 PM
Joey
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Hey Joey!!

One of the last shows of the infamous Who tour of 1973 found the British quartet playing to an enthusiastic sold-out audience at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Highlighting material from their recently released Quadrophenia album, as well as old Who favorites, this lengthy set captures the band at a pivotal moment in their career. Also check out the very last show of the tour from the Capital Center in Maryland, and head back to ‘73 with these two sets of quintessential classic rock

CLICK HERE

and LARGO Too.. Capital Center, Largo, MD 12/06/1973

HERE

Bless You Voodoo .....

You are much loved by Joey

Joeykins
5th December 2007 06:10 PM
Joey " Which brings us to the second-to-last night of this tour, when the band took to the stage of the Spectrum in Philadelphia before a sold-out house. Excerpts of this show, recorded for broadcast by the King Biscuit Flower Hour, have been the primary source of high quality recordings from this tour. The KBFH recordings from this night and the final tour stop in Largo, Maryland, have also been the source of collector confusion and the subject of debate for nearly 35 years. Ubiquitously bootlegged ever since the initial broadcasts in 1974, only those excerpts of this night's recordings have ever circulated. Here for the first time ever is the vast majority of The Spectrum performance, from the original King Biscuit masters and sounding sonically superior to all other versions of this material in existence. Not only does this include all but one of the songs from this legendary night, but the final reel included the entirety of the encore, previously unknown to have been recorded.

The performance kicks off in fine form with a double dose of primal Who, first with the opener "I Can't Explain" followed by a ferocious "Summertime Blues" to warm things up. Next up is an expanded version of John Entwhistle's "My Wife," before they cap off this initial segment of the performance with their signature song, "My Generation." Both feature impressive instrumental exchanges between Townsend, Entwhistle and Moon, with the latter taken at a furious tempo and pummeling in its delivery.

Next, Townsend addresses the audience directly and prefaces the performance of Quadrophenia by way of explaining, "The better part of an album what we wrote about ourselves being Mods. When we were little. The story about the Mod kid and we call it Quadrophenia. Being Mod meant a lot more in England, I think, than it ever did in America. I think you think of it being a Carnaby Street thing. It's not just a looking back, it's a kind of bringing up to date. Quadrophenia's about where we all are today, maybe you, too. The story is set on a rock in the middle of a stormy sea. In quadrophonic, as well!" With that said, the backing track of "I Am The Sea" leads into the full blown performance of "Quadrophenia." Townsend jumps in a bit early, but "The Real Me" and "The Punk And The Godfather" both cook with a fiery intensity. Daltrey's vocals are full of raw passion and the rhythm section of Entwhistle and Moon is explosive. Townsend delivers another explanation prior to "I’m One" revealing some of his own childhood perceptions. This song, much like his classic "Behind Blue Eyes," begins as a solo vehicle for Townsend's voice and guitar alone, before the entire group kicks in to dramatic effect. The remainder of the "Quadrophenia" material here features plenty of great ensemble playing and those familiar with the KBFH broadcasts will welcome the appearance of the never-before-heard "5:15," the riff-heavy "Sea And Sand" and a 10- minute "Drowned" that includes some inspired jamming.

Despite the technical limitations of the equipment, which are more prominent during the latter parts of "Quadrophenia,” this portion of the recording concludes with a humorous "Bell Boy," featuring Keith Moon altering his lyrics to recall the hotel room destroyed in Montreal earlier that week, followed by an engaging performance of "Dr. Jimmy." Unfortunately the sole missing item is the grand finale of "Love, Reign O'er Me," but otherwise these are the finest 1973 era “Quadrophenia” performances anyone is likely to have ever heard.

Following the "Quadrophenia" presentation, they launch into a powerful "Won't Get Fooled Again, before wrapping up with two classic tracks from Townsend's earlier magnum opus, Tommy. First they deliver a frenetic rendition of "Pinball Wizard," here humorously introduced as "Pineball Blizzard!," followed by a majestic set closing finale of "See Me, Feel Me," that leaves the ecstatic audience clamoring for more. For nearly eight solid minutes this audience roars it's approval . Unison chants of "WE WANT THE WHO!" are heard over and over again. When the band returns to the stage amidst thunderous applause, they cut loose into a smoldering version of "Naked Eye" with Daltrey leading the way. For a solid 13 minutes, this encore burns with intensity, culminating in the destruction of Townsend's cherry sunburst Les Paul Deluxe. "

... I am now moist
6th December 2007 12:07 AM
Jaggedblues That really is a classic Who show, especially for Quad fans. I like the Quadrophenia in Phil-oo-delphia boot of the show, it's smokin'. There's the ever-present torrent of it at LLR. Essential IMO.
7th December 2007 05:13 AM
corgi37 I know it sounds childish, but the "King biscuit flower hour" just sounds so bloody gay!
7th December 2007 10:25 AM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I know it sounds childish, but the "King biscuit flower hour" just sounds so bloody gay!

Corgi ...................................

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)