ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Dirty Work Sessions - Pathé-Marconi Studios
Boulogne-Billancourt, France - Spring 1985
© Christian FIOT
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lucinda Williams' "West" Coming 2.13 (nsc) Return to archive
8th December 2006 06:52 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle From billboard.com:
Loss and loneliness are at the core of Lucinda Williams' eighth album, "West," slated to be released Feb. 13 via Lost Highway.

The disc finds the critically acclaimed singer/songwriter coping with another painful breakup and the passing of her mother, whom she reminisces in songs like "Mama You Sweet" and "Fancy Funeral." In such songs as "Come On," "Learning How to Live" and "Everything Has Changed," the Grammy winner again deals with heartbreak.

"The songs deal with a chapter in my life and they definitely tell a story," Williams tells Billboard.com. "It's probably been the most prolific time in my life as a writer. I'd been through so many changes --my mother's death and a very tumultuous relationship that ended badly -- so obviously there's a lot of pain and struggling, but it ends with a look toward the future."

Featuring the Jayhawks' Gary Louris, celebrated drummer Jim Keltner, longtime Dylan bassist Tony Garnier (both of whom played on her "Essence" disc) and Williams' longtime guitarist Doug Petibone, "West" was co-produced by Williams and Hal Willner, whose credits include Elvis Costello, Lou Reed and Bill Frisell, who also guests on the "West."

The album's 13 songs together form a largely down-tempo disc, but "West" doesn't only find Williams in a somber mood. "Mama You Sweet" is upbeat and "Come On" is a nasty, almost raunchy kiss-off, musically akin to "Atonement" from her last album, 2003's "World Without Tears."

She injects doses of hope and light in tracks like "What If," in which she imagines a world where the president wears pink and a prostitute is a queen.

"I get tired of people looking at my songs and feeling that they're all sad and dark," she says. "There's more to them than that. Some people might read Flannery O'Connor and see that as simply dark -- and it is dark and disturbing --- but there's a philosophical aspect, even a comical aspect to it as well. I think that's all there on this album. It's a full circle, like I've come through a metamorphosis."
8th December 2006 07:50 PM
PartyDoll MEG Thanks, Lefty!! Looking forward to the new album, as I've heard lots of the new songs from the boots of her shows. Hope this means we'll get a U.S. Tour also!!
8th December 2006 08:14 PM
glencar Oh so exciting!
8th December 2006 08:16 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
glencar wrote:
Oh so exciting!

Pretty boring around here, huh Glenny?!!
8th December 2006 08:23 PM
glencar Oh yeah! Where is everyone? Filling out their surveys?
8th December 2006 08:33 PM
PartyDoll MEG Yep..think you are right. Just got 2 more back...
But I do like Lucinda
8th December 2006 08:37 PM
glencar I like that car tires on a road song. Don't know much else...
9th December 2006 09:38 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Pretty boring around here, huh Glenny?!!

"God, grant us the serenity to accept the fact that the tour is over,
The courage to hold out until next spring,
And the wisdom to not slit our wrists in the meantime."

Amen.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
9th December 2006 05:39 PM
Bloozehound she needs to bring back Gurf Morlix
9th December 2006 05:48 PM
Gazza The songs are very good, although I think theres some of the ones from the shows last year that wont be making the final cut.

'Jailhouse Tears' (which she played for me as a request 4 weeks ago even though the band didnt want to!), 'Real Love' and 'Come On' are particulary good
10th December 2006 11:57 AM
chevysales
quote:
glencar wrote:
Oh yeah! Where is everyone? Filling out their surveys?

what surveys?

i didn't get any?

and this jew has been too busy spending time xmas shopping (mom i hope your not reading this) for my non jewish wife and kids... alright so i buy like this one for them two for me

10th December 2006 10:09 PM
glencar
quote:
chevysales wrote:

what surveys?

i didn't get any?

and this jew has been too busy spending time xmas shopping (mom i hope your not reading this) for my non jewish wife and kids... alright so i buy like this one for them two for me

Hey, PM me yer address if you want a photo CD from AC!!!! Merry Christmas/happy Hannukah!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)