ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Dirty Work Sessions - Pathé-Marconi Studios
Boulogne-Billancourt, France - Spring 1985
© Christian FIOT
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Beep, beep. Beep, beep. Yeah! Return to archive
8th December 2006 03:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Beep, beep. Beep, beep. Yeah!
Misty Harris, CanWest News Service
Dec 7,2006

The Beatles may have had a ticket to ride in 1965, but in 2006, it's Drive My Car that has landed them at the No. 5 spot on a list of Canada's favourite driving songs. Bryan Adams' Summer of '69 is No. 1.

The music that launched a thousand road trips has been named Canada's favourite driving song in a new national poll. Bryan Adams' classic anthem Summer of '69 toppled Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild — which took the No. 2 and 3 positions, respectively — to win the top spot on the list of essential travelling tunes.

Bryan Adams topped the list of Canadians' favourite songs to sing along to while driving.

It's Only Rock and Roll by The Rolling Stones and Drive My Car by The Beatles rounded out the top five, followed by Tom Petty's Free Falling and Golden Earring's Radar Love.

The Pontiac G5 poll, released yesterday in tandem with the automotive maker's world-record attempt for the largest group singalong in Montreal and Toronto, asked 1,000 Canadians to choose their favourite driving song from a list put forward by a panel of music journalists.

"It has to be the sort of song that, when you're on the open highway and it comes on the stereo, there's a solidifying moment," says Aaron Brophy, managing editor of Chart Magazine. "Like, bam! You can't help but sing or bop along, tapping your hand on the steering wheel."

Fully, 66% of Canadians confess to performing car-aoke; of that group, 73% are women and 58% are men. One in three will sing along with family and friends, with only a quarter braving solo performances.

More than a third of respondents (35%) say these road recitals enhance the driving experience and help pass time behind the wheel. Perhaps related is the fact that 31% claim to be natural performers who love to sing wherever they are.

While 50% say they've been busted singing by other drivers, 77% will continue to rock out regardless. Alberta and Ontario drivers boast the most crooning confidence under scrutiny, at 82% and 81%, respectively. British Columbians are the most shy, with more than two in three drivers silencing themselves after being spotted mid-performance.

Quebecers may be the most discreet car-aoke artists in the country, with only 34% having been caught by fellow drivers -- or so they believe.

"I'm sure there are many, many people who are oblivious that someone in the next lane is looking over thinking, 'Wow, that person is really going at it!' " says Brophy.

Monique Ninassi, a constable with the Edmonton Police Service, has spent enough time on patrol to know this to be true, having witnessed countless Canadians channel their inner rock stars on the road.

"As soon as they see the police, they stop singing right away," she says. "They think it's such an offence, like, 'Oh my God, I better smarten up and look all serious.' "

Ninassi finds this reaction amusing since she has been known to belt out a tune behind the wheel herself. When working Christmas Day, for example, she and her partner decided to broadcast holiday music through their patrol car's loudspeaker.

"Jingle Bells came on and I thought, 'I'm going to start singing!' " recalls Ninassi, laughing. "What the heck? It was Christmas and I thought everybody should get into the spirit."
8th December 2006 05:16 PM
voodoopug
8th December 2006 05:19 PM
glencar Just more evidence that Canada needs to get its act together.
8th December 2006 05:24 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
Just more evidence that Canada needs to get its act together.

I say we invade!
8th December 2006 05:49 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I say we invade!

Why not? US pokes its nose everywhere else....
8th December 2006 06:03 PM
glencar SUIT UP!
8th December 2006 06:13 PM
mojoman i thought this was a roadrunner thread
8th December 2006 07:00 PM
MrPleasant I thought this was about "Goin' Mobile".
8th December 2006 11:33 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
mojoman wrote:
i thought this was a roadrunner thread

Me too! I'm so disappointed...

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)