ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Dirty Work Sessions - Pathé-Marconi Studios
Boulogne-Billancourt, France - Spring 1985
© Christian FIOT
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Highwire Return to archive
7th December 2006 09:16 PM
WattsAtScotts I was watching the video today and listening to Flaspoint, this song is killer! The riff is amazing and the video is really smokin', is this a forgotten gem that should be played live?
7th December 2006 10:33 PM
Soldatti Much better than Neocon!
8th December 2006 12:27 AM
Bloozehound I prefer sex drive
8th December 2006 12:41 AM
rogerriffin
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I prefer sex drive

All prefer the sex drive, but musically Highwire rules
8th December 2006 12:55 AM
pdog It plays well while reading The Iraq Report!
8th December 2006 12:57 AM
glencar Yes both are snooze worthy!
8th December 2006 01:04 AM
JOHNNYSTONED Highwire is one of the stones high water moments in the
last 15 years. not only did the lyrics take a risk and stand ,which is great, but the riff is killer and guitars all over the place really make it soar.
8th December 2006 11:05 AM
Soldatti
quote:
JOHNNYSTONED wrote:
Highwire is one of the stones high water moments in the
last 15 years. not only did the lyrics take a risk and stand ,which is great, but the riff is killer and guitars all over the place really make it soar.

And they had balls to release it as single too.
8th December 2006 11:18 AM
Honky Tonk Man Didn't the BBC ban it, or was it just Top Of The Pops?

It's okay, if a little bland, but its too much of a moment in time tune to work now I think. Even if the Iraq theme is still somewhat relevant.
8th December 2006 11:34 AM
Some Guy I want to hear that song again and can't find it.
8th December 2006 11:42 AM
Saint Sway friggin great tune!

I remember the 1st time I heard Highwire on the radio. I was so psyched hearing that opening riff. It was such a refreshing throwback Stones sound after the slick Steel Wheels record. I loved Talk Is Cheap but hated the guitar sound on Wheels. It was so great to hear a Stones song with vintage Jagger attitude and snarl again backed by Keith riffs.

I thought that song was gonna be huge but it never went anywhere.

I dont care though. I still consider it to be there Street Fighting Man pt II
8th December 2006 11:45 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I want to hear that song again and can't find it.

check under the couch
8th December 2006 02:06 PM
glencar It's on Flashpoint.
8th December 2006 05:36 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I thought that song was gonna be huge but it never went anywhere.

It was a hit on rock radio, 3 weeks at #1 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks, their last #1 there so far.
8th December 2006 05:44 PM
glencar Talk about going out with a whimper...
8th December 2006 08:32 PM
Throwaway Love the song...great riff and phrasing of the lyrics, and the solo is cool--not Keith's typical style but it works (his style in teh sense that less is more, but a diff type of playing). AND if you crank it up during the fadeout, you will hear some cool Keith riffing that you may have missed before..
8th December 2006 10:53 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox i thought mick played the riff on this one
8th December 2006 11:02 PM
Throwaway Mick playing the riff/rhythm guitar, Keith playin the solo/soloing during the fadeout..Bill's last session w/ the band?
9th December 2006 05:35 PM
MikeyC613 Juan Dixon played High Wire after the National Championship game in the Maryland locker room
9th December 2006 05:43 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Didn't the BBC ban it, or was it just Top Of The Pops?

It's okay, if a little bland, but its too much of a moment in time tune to work now I think. Even if the Iraq theme is still somewhat relevant.

The BBC, in a fit of utter paranaoid lunacy, banned about half of their playlist for much of the Gulf War - some of it for very tenuous reasons, like "Rock The Casbah" by The Clash or "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins (WTF?) , so 'High Wire' being banned was no major accomplishment. I did hear it a couple of times when it was first released though, so it mustnt have been a 'blanket' ban

Its a terrific song. Cant see how anyone can think it 'bland' with snarling guitars and drums like that. They should have played it.
10th December 2006 08:57 PM
Bitch

released as a single March 11 1991, then on Flashpoint
10th December 2006 09:29 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The BBC, in a fit of utter paranaoid lunacy, banned about half of their playlist for much of the Gulf War - some of it for very tenuous reasons, like "Rock The Casbah" by The Clash or "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins (WTF?) , so 'High Wire' being banned was no major accomplishment. I did hear it a couple of times when it was first released though, so it mustnt have been a 'blanket' ban

Its a terrific song. Cant see how anyone can think it 'bland' with snarling guitars and drums like that. They should have played it.

I don't think it's bland. It's just one of those songs (and rare they are) wherein the Stones sound like they're trying to hard.
10th December 2006 10:51 PM
Nellcote with extras...

10th December 2006 11:44 PM
Throwaway Mikey- I don't read you

As for this song, any musicians ever try to figure out the tab for it? For a supposed Jagger opening riff/verse playing, it seems a bit complex, and i can't get the chords to sound right (could be sus/6th chords???)

[Edited by Throwaway]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)