ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Dirty Work Sessions - Pathé-Marconi Studios
Boulogne-Billancourt, France - Spring 1985
© Christian FIOT
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Amazing first hand account of Altamont Return to archive
7th December 2006 12:58 AM
Dan This dude is living history, one of my favorite internet posters.

http://www.metalsludge.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=91364
7th December 2006 06:41 AM
FotiniD Thanks for the link Dan, that was an excellent telling of the story. I can't even imagine what it feels like to actually be one of the people who attented Altamont. Living history indeed!
7th December 2006 07:17 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Thanks for the link Dan, that was an excellent telling of the story. I can't even imagine what it feels like to actually be one of the people who attented Altamont. Living history indeed!

I know a few folks who were there and without exception every one of them had a good time and were pretty much unaware that there was anything seriously bad taking place.
7th December 2006 07:19 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I know a few folks who were there and without exception every one of them had a good time and were pretty much unaware that there was anything seriously bad taking place.

Now that's a shock. You've just ruined my fantasies of what it was like being there

But that's the way it always happen, isn't it? Legend comes in, reality steps out.
7th December 2006 07:34 AM
Gazza Ties in with what I've read that pretty much all the hassle that most people experienced (aside from the stuff like people taking bad acid etc which could happen anywhere and would be especially more likely in a crowd of 400,000 hippies!) was down near the front as can be seen in the film.

A lot of people seemed to be unaware of just what had happened until word filtered through a day or two later. You even get that impression in 'Gimme Shelter' where the DJ at the start of the movie is talking about reports and rumours coming through about fights and stabbings. It wasnt exactly all over the news immediately afterwards, it would seem
7th December 2006 08:52 AM
Mathijs Altamont hardly received any attention until AFTER the Gimme Shelter movie was released. It's a bit the same as with Woodstock: Woodstock only became famous after the 1973 movie was released.

Mathijs
7th December 2006 09:18 AM
Lil Brian
quote:
Gazza wrote: I know a few folks who were there and without exception every one of them had a good time and were pretty much unaware that there was anything seriously bad taking place.

Same here.
7th December 2006 09:34 AM
Stones Security "Altamont hardly received any attention until AFTER the Gimme Shelter movie was released. It's a bit the same as with Woodstock: Woodstock only became famous after the 1973 movie was released."

ZZZZzzzzzz

Were you even there buttfuck?

No, didn't think so.

7th December 2006 09:38 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Altamont hardly received any attention until AFTER the Gimme Shelter movie was released. It's a bit the same as with Woodstock: Woodstock only became famous after the 1973 movie was released.

Mathijs

Not really. There was massive coverage of the aftermath of Altamont in the music press in the weeks that followed the event, although it wasnt seen as an event of cultural significance as Woodstock, and the problems that surrounded the event wouldnt have got as much coverage in non-music sections of the media as many would think. Still, half a million people turning up to any event at short notice would certainly be considered a major news event

Woodstock was front page news on the NY Times on the day it took place (its even mentioned in the film) and the whole hype surrounding the event got international coverage soon afterwards, and not just in the music press. The show was originally a paying concert and they had planned for 200,000 to turn up - at least double that showed up so they made it a free festival. The fact that none of the towns around Woodstock would offer a site due to a fear that as many as a million people might show up would indicate that it was quite evident early on that this was going to be something pretty massive.

The film was released in 1970, not 1973.
[Edited by Gazza]
7th December 2006 09:58 AM
GotToRollMe Correct. Woodstock was HUGE news from the get-go. I was too young to attend, but I still remember it being all over the TV news as well as the newspapers.
7th December 2006 10:30 AM
Stones Security See that.

More proof that mASSthjis has no clue.

I'm putting out an APB on this guy.

7th December 2006 11:33 AM
Lil Brian I passed along the above link to a gal here in town that was there. Here's what she emailed back:

"Are you trying to make me feel ANCIENT......37 yrs ago??? Yikes. What I remember is that it was never sure where they were going to hold the event until really late. We left Berkeley in the middle of the night and drove to Altamont but the traffic was so crazy and not moving that we ended up parking on the freeway and walking up over these hills until we found the stage which was at the bottom with hills rising around it. Totally crowded so we ended up quite far from the stage...spread the blankets and spend the day drinking cheap wine, smoking cheap weed, and we must of eaten but I don't remember. The crowd started to get anxious the longer they had been waiting and I almost think that they waited until near dark to start the concert.
I totally remember a huge, gigantic, very very fat naked man that wandered through the crowd and to be truthful the rest is sort of a blur until the Stones and then it got really odd with fits and starts of songs and pleading by Mick and total weirdness.
When we left it was pitch dark and you had to thread your way through the hills back to the car and then wait.
How's that for a boring trip down memory lane??"

7th December 2006 11:43 AM
Drewby I dont think that guy said anything that wasnt in the movie except for the part about CSNY and Santana....Pulling our leg or not?
7th December 2006 11:58 AM
Chuck "The Stones finally came on, with Mick Taylor blazing solos on his Gibson ES 335 guitar..."

lol. He played an SG.

7th December 2006 12:40 PM
Dan
quote:
Drewby wrote:
I dont think that guy said anything that wasnt in the movie except for the part about CSNY and Santana....Pulling our leg or not?

Nah, he is a real guy. He has a long posting history supported by music and private photos, not to mention his true identity is no secret to the people on the board. He has told many great inside stories of the local music scene, often supported by photos he appears in.

And I don't see what Metal Sludge being a heavy metal site has to do with anything. That's rock music too. I know some music snobs don't think so but nobody takes those arrogant fuckwits seriously.
7th December 2006 12:51 PM
glencar
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Correct. Woodstock was HUGE news from the get-go. I was too young to attend, but I still remember it being all over the TV news as well as the newspapers.

Yes, I was a young'un back then too but I remember hearing about it. I was told it was a bad place.
7th December 2006 01:40 PM
Lil Brian She said any weekend you could go into the city and see Hendrix, or Janis, or Cream, or whoever too. All general admission, just sit anywhere. It certainly was a different era!
7th December 2006 05:37 PM
Soldatti Great review, the dude lived the whole chaos.
37 years since Altamont!
Time flies...
7th December 2006 10:28 PM
chevysales
quote:
Dan wrote:
This dude is living history, one of my favorite internet posters.

http://www.metalsludge.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=91364

a poster on Undercover actually helped out there with stage setup etc.... i believe for bill graham
9th December 2006 05:57 AM
corgi37 Woodstock the movie also won the Academy Award for best doco.

It was an amazing time, but i think the things forgotten about from that era are equally important.

Kent State is virtually totally wiped (and no one got convicted), and Monteray Pop Festival, which can be argued started it all, is hardly ever mentioned.
Also, the importance of a tv show like "Julia" should not be underestimated.

Altamont would have been nothing except for the film crew.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)