ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Bill Wyman!!
In memory of Ian "Stu" Stewart
b. July 18, 1938 - d. December 12, 1985
© From "Rolling with the Stones" by Bill Wyman
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Thriller...Brits favourite video Return to archive
December 12th, 2005 06:17 AM
Ten Thousand Motels 'Thriller' Voted Best Music Video Of All Time

Beating the likes of Eminem and Madonna...
by Jeff Ando on 12/11/2005
Gigwiswe.com

Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' has been named the favourite music video of all time.

The video, first released in 1983, beat off competition from Eminem's 'Stan' and Madonna's 'Like a Prayer'.

Robbie Williams' 'Rock DJ' came in fourth, with Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer' behind in fifth.

The video was the first big budget music video or short film, featuring all the latest special effects of the time.

The list was voted for by the British public.

Vikki Timmons, spokeswomen for digital music channel The Box, who were responsible for the countdown, said: "'Thriller' was an instant hit in 1983 when it was released and it was well ahead of its time.

"It's amazing to think that although there have been huge advances in technology and some amazing new music videos over the past few years, 'Thriller' still tops the list."

More than 7,000 votes were cast in The Box's search for the top 100 Greatest Music Videos of All Time.

So not that many, in all fairness...

December 12th, 2005 07:15 AM
IanBillen
I won't argue that. You gotta give credit where it is due. You won't find too many people that will argue against Thriller. Album or Video. Both were
huge! If I had to pick one video that was monumental it would no doubt be Thriller.

Ian
December 12th, 2005 09:07 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
"It's amazing to think that although there have been huge advances in technology and some amazing new music videos over the past few years, 'Thriller' still tops the list."

not really that amazing. Videos are very passe now and hardly anyone cares about them, or singles in general - plus theres so many music TV stations, they lose their impact.

Whats interesting is that most of those videos mentioned date from the '80's - which was a decade when a major artist's new groundbreaking video was more of a musical 'event'.

'Thriller' was certainly in that category (wasnt it the first music 'longform' video and the first to be released as a home video?)
December 12th, 2005 10:26 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

not really that amazing. Videos are very passe now and hardly anyone cares about them, or singles in general - plus theres so many music TV stations, they lose their impact.

Whats interesting is that most of those videos mentioned date from the '80's - which was a decade when a major artist's new groundbreaking video was more of a musical 'event'.

'Thriller' was certainly in that category (wasnt it the first music 'longform' video and the first to be released as a home video?)

it was the first to be released with a home video....I cannot beleive this beat out "Start Me Up".....a true work of art, but then again, the UK press is only waiting for the stones to die as they hate them with such strong vigor!
December 12th, 2005 10:34 AM
jb Gazza , sadly, has once again been humiliated by the English public............I feel a trip to MSG 1/20th is in order to purge yourself of the hateful attitude Europans/British have towards the band.
December 12th, 2005 11:36 AM
gimmekeef My vote was for the video shoot where Michael The Molester was on fire ..so to speak....
December 12th, 2005 11:37 AM
voodoopug
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
My vote was for the video shoot where Michael The Molester was on fire ..so to speak....

good post...that is historic!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)