ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Bill Wyman!!
In memory of Ian "Stu" Stewart
b. July 18, 1938 - d. December 12, 1985
© From "Rolling with the Stones" by Bill Wyman
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why? Why? Why? Return to archive
December 10th, 2005 01:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Elvis Presley still the UK chart king

It's official...

Elvis Presley remains the most successful UK chart act of all time - official!

The legend stays ahead of Cliff Richard after the Book of British Hit Singles & Albums officially unveiled their long awaited annual list of the Top 100 Most Successful Acts Of All Time.

The Top 100 is the most definitive and genuine list of its kind, as it is based on the total number of weeks each contender has spent on the official UK Singles and Albums charts and not on arbitrary voting.

This year Queen have overtaken The Beatles into third place, while Madonna is getting ever closer to the Fab Four.

This year's Top 20 is:

1. Elvis Presley
2. Cliff Richard
3. Queen
4. The Beatles
5. Madonna
6. Elton John
7. The Shadows
8. Michael Jackson
9. U2
10. David Bowie
11. Rod Stewart
12. Frank Sinatra
13. Diana Ross
14. Dire Straits
15. Simon & Garfunkel
16. The Rolling Stones
17. Abba
18. Fleetwood Mac
19. Phil Collins
20. Paul McCartney

© IPC MEDIA 1996-2005,
December 10th, 2005 02:05 PM
glencar Madonna overtaking the Rutles would be Rough Justtice!
December 10th, 2005 02:34 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Elvis Presley still the UK chart king

It's official...

Elvis Presley remains the most successful UK chart act of all time - official!

The legend stays ahead of Cliff Richard after the Book of British Hit Singles & Albums officially unveiled their long awaited annual list of the Top 100 Most Successful Acts Of All Time.

The Top 100 is the most definitive and genuine list of its kind, as it is based on the total number of weeks each contender has spent on the official UK Singles and Albums charts and not on arbitrary voting.

This year Queen have overtaken The Beatles into third place, while Madonna is getting ever closer to the Fab Four.

This year's Top 20 is:

1. Elvis Presley
2. Cliff Richard
3. Queen
4. The Beatles
5. Madonna
6. Elton John
7. The Shadows
8. Michael Jackson
9. U2
10. David Bowie
11. Rod Stewart
12. Frank Sinatra
13. Diana Ross
14. Dire Straits
15. Simon & Garfunkel
16. The Rolling Stones
17. Abba
18. Fleetwood Mac
19. Phil Collins
20. Paul McCartney

© IPC MEDIA 1996-2005,

The Dire Straits, Simon and garfunkel, Diana Ross, and Shadows are particularly humiliating. I expected U2 to be up there as many on all boards are turning to U2 and not supporting the Stones. We (true Stones fans) are at the end of an era....and i fear not even young Jake Cohl can save us!
December 10th, 2005 02:58 PM
the good The British are a great people, but for the life of me, I do not understand their uber appreciation for Queen; a cheesy, third rate act whose music should be reserved for karaoke bars and lounge singers.
December 10th, 2005 03:40 PM
lotsajizz bollocks--Freddie Mercury was one of the greatest live performers in rock history
December 10th, 2005 03:58 PM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
bollocks--Freddie Mercury was one of the greatest live performers in rock history

He DID kick ass at Live Aid ( circa 1985 )

Sadly , Live Aid will always be remembered as THE WHO's worst EVER cancert ( sic ) performance .

[ Edited by Petey ]

[Edited by Joey]
December 10th, 2005 04:24 PM
gimmekeef the Brits are a bust.....
December 10th, 2005 04:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
the Brits are a bust.....

Elvis is a bust.
December 10th, 2005 05:20 PM
the good
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
bollocks--Freddie Mercury was one of the greatest live performers in rock history

But the number three act of all time on the UK charts? Queen?
December 10th, 2005 06:32 PM
Soldatti
quote:
the good wrote:

But the number three act of all time on the UK charts? Queen?

Their success on the UK charts since 1991 was one of the most incredible things that I've seen.
Actually, Queen is the artist with most weeks on the UK albums chart with 1,335 weeks on the Top 75 while the Stones are #8 with 805 weeks and 10+ years of history.
They are the first/second favorite band in Britain after/before the Beatles.
December 10th, 2005 06:33 PM
Gazza well they were a chart act for 17 years (and still had a few chart entries after Freddie croaked it), so why the surprise

That list is only a reflection on an artist's longevity. Hence the high placing for Cliff, who had his first hit in 1958 and who is still making records (although thankfully they dont chart as high or get as much airplay as they used to)

Madonna has been having hits consistently for something like 21 years with no sign of slowing down, so she'll end up higher for sure

The Stones simply dont release enough new records, as we all know
[Edited by Gazza]
December 11th, 2005 12:41 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
well they were a chart act for 17 years (and still had a few chart entries after Freddie croaked it), so why the surprise

That list is only a reflection on an artist's longevity. Hence the high placing for Cliff, who had his first hit in 1958 and who is still making records (although thankfully they dont chart as high or get as much airplay as they used to)

Madonna has been having hits consistently for something like 21 years with no sign of slowing down, so she'll end up higher for sure

The Stones simply dont release enough new records, as we all know
[Edited by Gazza]

I feel horrible that the few true stones fans in the UK have to put up with this humiliation. the level of ridicule must be off the charts
December 11th, 2005 01:22 AM
glencar About Queen: When I was at Wembley in 1999 for the second Stones concert, the pre-concert rain that would have been a downer was easy to handle. The PA system played Radio Gaga & a couple of other silly Queen songs & it actually was enjoyable watching the crowd sing along. In fact, the Stones played essentially the same concert as the night before so that crowd performance was certainly more memorable.
December 11th, 2005 02:06 AM
keefjunkie radio gaga and its a kinda magic are the two WORST songs ive ever heard..

now with that being said STONE COLD CRAZY,tie your mother down,bohemian rhapsody,bicycle,we are the champions,another one bites the dust,we will rock you and countless other albums cuts are some of the best songs ive ever heard

i left dozens off that list btw

December 11th, 2005 02:09 AM
ShaneJazz Queen a third-rate musical act?
Freddie Mercury: amazing voice, awesome showmanship and great on the piano
Brian May INCREDIBLE guitarist
Roger Taylor and John Deacon- very good musicians who also wrote killer songs.
I just want to know who The Shadows are?
December 11th, 2005 02:27 AM
the good
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:

now with that being said STONE COLD CRAZY,tie your mother down,bohemian rhapsody,bicycle,we are the champions,another one bites the dust,we will rock you and countless other albums cuts are some of the best songs ive ever heard

i left dozens off that list btw

Stone cold Crazy (sucks)

Tie your mother down (sucks)

Bicycle! HAHA! Song sucks. (I must say, however, the prefix for the word is only too fitting for "old bums rush" Mercury.)

We are the champions (this song does NOT suck. It is, however, stupid)

Another one bites the dust (bites)

We will rock you (tolerable, but only because it was used to begin an episode of Cheers)

The ones you left off the list (suck)
December 11th, 2005 02:30 AM
ShaneJazz Stone Cold Crazy and Tie Your Mother Down both suck? Wow, The Good, interesting opinion. I'd love to know what you currently think is good music? Did you like A Bigger Bang?
December 11th, 2005 09:41 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
the good wrote:

Stone cold Crazy (sucks)

Tie your mother down (sucks)

Bicycle! HAHA! Song sucks. (I must say, however, the prefix for the word is only too fitting for "old bums rush" Mercury.)

We are the champions (this song does NOT suck. It is, however, stupid)

Another one bites the dust (bites)

We will rock you (tolerable, but only because it was used to begin an episode of Cheers)

The ones you left off the list (suck)

have faith....maturity WILL come
December 11th, 2005 09:50 AM
Ten Thousand Motels How many years before someone overtakes Elvis I wonder?
Could Madonna do it eventually?
December 11th, 2005 09:52 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
ShaneJazz wrote:
I just want to know who The Shadows are?

I think they're, or were, Cliff Richards back up band, but I might be wrong.
December 11th, 2005 12:42 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
How many years before someone overtakes Elvis I wonder?
Could Madonna do it eventually?

as long as Jake Cohl does not make a major push for the stones, U2 will top all lists and will not suffer from the same ticket sales issues that the stones are currently suffering through!
December 11th, 2005 02:27 PM
glencar Jake Cohl has nothing to do with album sales. The Stones could sell out another six tours but their album sales are flat. Don't you read Soldatti?
December 11th, 2005 07:46 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
Jake Cohl has nothing to do with album sales. The Stones could sell out another six tours but their album sales are flat. Don't you read Soldatti?

There is still a portion of the stones audiences who are hearing ONNYA, RJ, RFD, BOMH, Infamy, etc for the first time at the shows and are then buying the album afterwards....Young Jake truly does have his hand in this!

December 11th, 2005 08:33 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
Jake Cohl has nothing to do with album sales. The Stones could sell out another six tours but their album sales are flat. Don't you read Soldatti?

It's not flat, their albums have better chart positions than many nowadays pop stars. The difference is that A Bigger Bang debuted at #2 in UK (missing the #1 by 11 copies) but went out of the chart in 4 weeks, while a pop star debuts at #8 or #15 but it remains a whole year on the chart. James Blunt was the guy that outsold ABB and he's still at #7 while ABB is out of the chart for months.
Appeal to the young crowd is the key of album sales and the Stones are very far from being hype to the kids, thank god that they still have a strong fanbase that push the new albums in the top 10 on the opening week.
December 11th, 2005 11:50 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

It's not flat, their albums have better chart positions than many nowadays pop stars. The difference is that A Bigger Bang debuted at #2 in UK (missing the #1 by 11 copies) but went out of the chart in 4 weeks, while a pop star debuts at #8 or #15 but it remains a whole year on the chart. James Blunt was the guy that outsold ABB and he's still at #7 while ABB is out of the chart for months.
Appeal to the young crowd is the key of album sales and the Stones are very far from being hype to the kids, thank god that they still have a strong fanbase that push the new albums in the top 10 on the opening week.

great points....sadly, todays youth leaves alot to be desired with thier taste in music...and I am not far out of that demographic....one day they will be humiliated when Fiddy Cent or Bono and the "end world hunger trio" are unable to keep their releases on the charts...they will be begging for Young Jake!!
December 12th, 2005 12:01 AM
glencar "Flat" is when the Stones don't outsell their previous studio releases. Your data has indicated that already.
December 12th, 2005 12:23 AM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
"Flat" is when the Stones don't outsell their previous studio releases. Your data has indicated that already.

.... [ edited by my baby joey ]

i shall send him a sweater
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)