ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Bill Wyman!!
In memory of Ian "Stu" Stewart
b. July 18, 1938 - d. December 12, 1985
© From "Rolling with the Stones" by Bill Wyman
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 25 years ago Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 8th, 2005 06:16 PM
Dan Didn't Keith get his ass kicked in a bar in the 70s?
December 8th, 2005 06:49 PM
stonedinaustralia had forgotten about that Dan but think you maybe correct

from memeory if he didn't get it kicked he came close to it
December 8th, 2005 06:54 PM
kath
quote:
recent 1970 interview revelations

in 1970 john was drunk, bitter and didn't like anybody or any thing.

it's really unfortunate that this "recent 1970" interview was released so close to the 25th anniversary of his assassination. if he had been asked the same questions in 1980, they would have been markedly different i'm sure.

December 8th, 2005 06:57 PM
Dan
quote:
kath wrote:

it's really unfortunate that this "recent 1970" interview was released so close to the 25th anniversary of his assassination. if he had been asked the same questions in 1980, they would have been markedly different i'm sure.

Also not to pour fires on the flames but it was only relatively recently that the Stones put out Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed and started to surpass the other British invasion groups of the time, most of whom had ceased to exist by 1970.

December 8th, 2005 11:36 PM
FPM C10
quote:
kath wrote:

I don't think he was drunk, but at the time of the interview he was undergoing primal scream therapy with Dr. Janov. He was dredging up everything that was causing him pain. He just happened to be doing it in print. Obviously later in life his opinions on Mick and Paul mellowed a bit.
December 9th, 2005 10:08 AM
Chuck I wonder what his kid, Julian, thought of that nude album cover. Dad with his new girlfriend. Julian was about 8 at the time.

Go to any store and you'll find a copy of John Lennon's 'Drawings for Sean.' There's no 'Drawings for Julian,' though.
December 9th, 2005 01:55 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Chuck wrote:
I wonder what his kid, Julian, thought of that nude album cover. Dad with his new girlfriend. Julian was about 8 at the time.

Go to any store and you'll find a copy of John Lennon's 'Drawings for Sean.' There's no 'Drawings for Julian,' though.

Obviously, John was no saint. Who are all of these people saying that he was one??? Everyone I know, who greatly admire him as a person and musician, are aware of his failings and many mistakes. They know that his treatment toward his first wife and Julian was wrong and inexcusable. My guess is the first person to admit it, if he were alive today, would probably be Lennon himself.

It's interesting to note that Lennon often described himself as a pig and a violent man. It seems he was always trying to become a better person as he wasn't satisfied of who he was in the past.

Who knows whether or not his treatment toward Julian would have changed and they would have grown closer together later in life?? No one knows and that's one of the many tragedies of his murder and early death.

This is a statement from Julian Lennon himself:

September 2005

Statement from Julian Lennon on the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's death

As the anniversary of Dad's death approaches, I have, inevitably, started receiving many requests for interviews. I am not going to give any interviews on the subject; I genuinely feel that I have talked about Dad enough. But I do appreciate the enormous interest people have in my father and his legacy and so, in lieu of interviews, I am going to say just this:

“Dad was a great talent whose music and ideals are an inspiration to millions. Yet I have always had very mixed feelings about Dad. He was the father I loved who let me down in so many ways. Who knows how our relationship might have developed if he had not been murdered … it's painful to think that his early death robbed me of the chance for us to know each other better. What can never be taken away are his words and music, that's his legacy for me. It's in my blood for a start. Like Dad I became a musician too, and as with many other artistes in this world his words and music continue to influence me today and probably forever more.”

Also, I can direct you to two projects to which I have made a contribution. First, Mum's book. As you probably know by now, Mum has written a biography about Dad and her time with him and I have provided the Foreword. I am immensely proud of her achievement – it's an honest and truthful account of the ten years they shared together – half his adult life! I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know the truth, the real truth about Dad and his life with Mum. The book is called ‘John' and is published on 26 September 2005 .

And the second is a TV profile of Dad which will transmit on BBC Television in October. I very, very rarely take part in shows like this but I was impressed with the integrity of the company who are making it for the BBC and their commitment to making it a balanced and thoughtful programme.

I expect there will be lots of other programmes and profiles commemorating and celebrating Dad on and around 8 December … for Mum and me that day will be one of private remembrance.

December 9th, 2005 02:27 PM
jb Enough of himn already.........it's a Stones board!!! We don't really need to focus on a Beatle.
December 9th, 2005 02:30 PM
glencar The worst thing Lennon did to his older son was letting the She Devil second wife give him a pittance from his Dad's vast wealth.
December 9th, 2005 02:34 PM
time is on my side
quote:
jb wrote:
Enough of himn already.........it's a Stones board!!! We don't really need to focus on a Beatle.

The thread clearly states what the topic is!!!! What in the hell are you reading it for!!! Don't you know that each thread has a topic???
December 9th, 2005 02:35 PM
glencar Joshy has the right to express his anti-Beatle thoughts.
December 9th, 2005 02:36 PM
time is on my side
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy has the right to express his anti-Beatle thoughts.

I have the right to talk about Lennon on a topic that is clearly about his death 25 years ago
December 9th, 2005 02:39 PM
glencar Hmm, did I say you didn't? Relax & draw a deep breath. Play some Yoko...
December 9th, 2005 02:40 PM
jb WWJD?
December 9th, 2005 02:44 PM
time is on my side
quote:
glencar wrote:
Hmm, did I say you didn't? Relax & draw a deep breath. Play some Yoko...

No you didn't but JB actually did & that's what I was responding to.

Peace, I'm not going to get into it any further as there's probably nobody on this board who will back me up. Have a good day.
December 9th, 2005 02:49 PM
glencar No problem. John wouldn't want us fighting over this stuff anyway.
December 9th, 2005 04:35 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:
WWJD?

Hey-Hey- Jew Got Me Rockin!
December 9th, 2005 04:42 PM
voodoopug
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

Hey-Hey- Jew Got Me Rockin!

in Josh's world it stands for "What Would Jake Do"

I am not a Beatle fan, I hate them, but I also hate the John Lennon was wrongfully taken from the world, he was a musician third and a father and husband first.
December 10th, 2005 01:58 AM
Brainbell Jangler I'll back you up, TIOMS. I don't care how many drinks he buys or how pleasant he may be in person, on this topic josh is an asshole. And John was willing to call an asshole an asshole.

When Mick was asked recently who he missed most among his friends and acquaintances who predeceased him, who did he say? John Lennon. Who did Keith say "kicked open the door" for the Stones? The Beatles. May we PLEASE have your permission to show them some respect now, mr. josh, sir, please?
December 11th, 2005 05:23 PM
gypsy
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
I'll back you up, TIOMS. I don't care how many drinks he buys or how pleasant he may be in person, on this topic josh is an asshole. And John was willing to call an asshole an asshole.

When Mick was asked recently who he missed most among his friends and acquaintances who predeceased him, who did he say? John Lennon. Who did Keith say "kicked open the door" for the Stones? The Beatles. May we PLEASE have your permission to show them some respect now, mr. josh, sir, please?

Josh may be an asshole to you - but he is a true friend to me and many others.

However, I do find it sad that people are bashing Lennon on this thread. I mean, clearly, they can read...so if they don't like Lennon, then they shouldn't reply at all. It's that simple.
December 11th, 2005 06:30 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

I mean, clearly, they can read...so if they don't like Lennon, then they shouldn't reply at all. It's that simple.

Come to Joey ............................
December 11th, 2005 08:42 PM
time is on my side
quote:
gypsy wrote:

However, I do find it sad that people are bashing Lennon on this thread. I mean, clearly, they can read...so if they don't like Lennon, then they shouldn't reply at all. It's that simple.

This is what I was trying to say. It's just much better stated here in this post by Gypsy.

Personally, I could care less whether someone greatly admires Lennon or hates him. We seem to have plenty of both on this board. I understand there are people on a STONES board who hate all things Beatles. To each their own. My view has always been he was one of the great artist of the 20th century and greatly admire his work all the way through his Imagine album (not a big fan of his post Imagine albums).

I just find it in poor taste to blast him right around the TIME of the 25th anniversary of his death when he was brutally murdered by some nut case trying to get his name in the paper. People are trying to express, however imperfectly, first how much his music meant to them and secondly their outrage at the senselessness of his death. Give some slack.

After another week or so, for those so inclined, go ahead and blast Lennon for all the many mistakes he made during life or the worthlessness of his music. It's your right.
December 12th, 2005 12:07 AM
glencar I played Imagine tonight. I'm all verklempt!
December 12th, 2005 06:04 AM
gypsy
quote:
glencar wrote:
I played Imagine tonight. I'm all verklempt!

I always get all "verklempt" whenever I play that song. We (my High School graduating class) chose it as our song. So it is even more bittersweet to me.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)