ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1985 Bakshi Prods
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Please expain e-bay to me Return to archive
12-09-02 05:09 PM
jb I bid 2300 on 2 tickets , but the reserve was not met and the auction ended w/out a winner. Today, there is a listing for 9th row center and someone bids 2100 and it says reserve met...auction is to end in 8 days...I try to bid 2400 dollars and all of a sudden it comes up 'Cannot place bid, auction over"..I look at the item and there is no winner....I look at the bid history and see 8 times the seller has cancelled the bid early....What I don't get, is that once the reserve is met, you have a binding contract. Why is a seller permitted to cancel his bid after their has been an acceptance? I am really pissed I lost these tickets as they were very reasonably..
[Edited by jb]
12-09-02 05:24 PM
TT 2300 bucks is a reasonable price? Are you an oil magnat?
12-09-02 05:26 PM
jb No...but I have seen those seats going for 3500-4000 a piece on various scalpers web-sites...I would have gladly paid b/t 2400 and 3500 for a pair!
[Edited by jb]
12-09-02 06:06 PM
nankerphelge It does suck when you can't tell what the reserve is. You should have used Buy It Now -- that way you would have known the reserve was met and it was still in your range!

The other option you had was to increase your own bid in $100 increments until the "reserve not met" sign came down, and then wait for the auction to end.

12-09-02 06:22 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jb wrote:
I bid 2300 on 2 tickets , but the reserve was not met and the auction ended w/out a winner. Today, there is a listing for 9th row center and someone bids 2100 and it says reserve met...auction is to end in 8 days...I try to bid 2400 dollars and all of a sudden it comes up 'Cannot place bid, auction over"..I look at the item and there is no winner....I look at the bid history and see 8 times the seller has cancelled the bid early....What I don't get, is that once the reserve is met, you have a binding contract. Why is a seller permitted to cancel his bid after their has been an acceptance? I am really pissed I lost these tickets as they were very reasonably..
[Edited by jb]

Someone must have made a deal with the ticket broker for the tix, and the seller cancelled the auction early, having gotten what he wanted. Also, E-bay takes a percentage of the final value, so often when this much money is involved the seller will cancel the auction early so he doesn't have to pay E-Bay their cut.

As far as E-Bay and binding contracts -- in my experience on E-Bay the "binding contract" has only the most tertiary contact with reality -- If a seller doesn't want to pay he's not going to and a buyer is going to do whatever he/she wants -- I've had items pulled from me at the last moment. The only binding contract comes when money changes hands. Nanker is right, if you see tickets with the buy it now option that are where you want them, I'd get those.

You could also try contacting the seller directly with the "question for seller" option to find out what they have and if they are in your price/optimal location range. But I always assumed that your outlandish ticket expenditures were just jb urban legends. I think you're mad to pay over a grand for tix, when you yourself say the demand is nowhere near what it used to be. But if this question for seller thing works out you can float me a ticket to MSG in thanks.