ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1985 Bakshi Prods
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Great moments in Rock'n'Roll Return to archive
12-09-02 04:13 PM
sasca - The motorik beat splinters - 'It's not the side effects of crack-cocaine/ I'm thinking that it must be love.' Bowie, 'Station to Station'.
- The romance of a continent - 'And the bridge...it sighs' Roxy Music, 'A Song for Europe'.
- 'Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday' - hope and loss, the song soars into the repeat chorus.
- 'Only last summer, it's not so long, long ago' - a candle cupped against the wind, Syd Barrett, 'Wined and Dined.'

love you.

'To all who pass that they may see, rock'n'roll was a part of me.' - Nick Cohn.
[Edited by sasca]
[Edited by sasca]
12-09-02 04:19 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
sasca wrote:
- The motorik beat splinters - 'It's not the side effects of crack-cocaine/ I'm thinking that it must be love.' Bowie, 'Station to Station'.

yeah sasca - that's a great line
12-09-02 06:45 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
sasca wrote:

- The romance of a continent - 'And the bridge...it sighs' Roxy Music, 'A Song for Europe'.

'To those who pass that they may see, rock'n'roll was a part of me.'
[Edited by sasca]

It always kills me when he starts talking French.
Also nice: Editions of You, when Ferry says "That crazy music drives you insane -- this way!"

Some recent discoveries that start or break my heart:

1. The version of "It Ain't Me Babe", on the new Bob Dylan Genuine Bootleg series set - a piano solo, followed by a steel guitar solo, picked up effortlessly by the harmonica.

2. Mick Jagger's scream right before "Street Fighting Man" on "Welcome to Australia", from January 27th.

3. The Victims - "Television Addict" - "Just because I watch Dinah Shore doesn't mean I need a facelift! Doesn't mean my brain has slipped! Doesn't mean anything! Cause WE'RE NOT DUMB! WE'RE NOT DUMB! WE'RE NOT DUMB!"

4. A bunch of idiots from Detroit discover the amazing tension/release masterpiece that is Pharoah Saunders' Upper and Lower Egypt and decide to make rock and roll like that.

Lovely post.
12-09-02 07:08 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Some recent discoveries that start or break my heart:

1. The version of "It Ain't Me Babe", on the new Bob Dylan Genuine Bootleg series set - a piano solo, followed by a steel guitar solo, picked up effortlessly by the harmonica.

2. Mick Jagger's scream right before "Street Fighting Man" on "Welcome to Australia", from January 27th.

hey nasty, what's the detail on this new bob release - i've been meaning to make it into the city's premier alternative record store ("big star" records as it happens)to track down some more Trojan stuff (that mojo sampler has hardly left my CD players since i got it - about two months after you lot "up" north - except to give that el mocambo "worried about you" a damn good thrashing)..anyway i understand there's plenty of 75/76 stuff..does it include "deportees" and "railroad boy" - is there more bob on piano - people might diss his guitar and harmonica playing but his touch on the "ol' johanna" is heavenly?

re your point 2. - thanks to ulf i'm now beginning to undersatnd why everybody raves about the boots from the '73 Aus. tour - i got "happy" the other day (either perth or sydney) - on first hearing it bought tears to my eyes - the wild swaggering itensity of keith's sound and playing is electrifying - as i've said before they came here as gods and the evidence suggests they were playing like gods as well
12-09-02 07:23 PM
beer Hey SIA, The Aus '73 stuff is great huh? I've been listening to "Wizards of OZ"(Sydney Feb 27, '73) alot lately. If you haven't got it already, check out the Melbourne '66 boot, it's good too.
12-09-02 07:28 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

hey nasty, what's the detail on this new bob release - i've been meaning to make it into the city's premier alternative record store ("big star" records as it happens)to track down some more Trojan stuff (that mojo sampler has hardly left my CD players since i got it - about two months after you lot "up" north - except to give that el mocambo "worried about you" a damn good thrashing)..anyway i understand there's plenty of 75/76 stuff..does it include "deportees" and "railroad boy" - is there more bob on piano - people might diss his guitar and harmonica playing but his touch on the "ol' johanna" is heavenly?

It's all from 1975, so nothing from the '76 leg of the RTR, which is where Deportee and Railroad Boy is from. No piano, Bob dint play it on the Rolling Thunder Review, except in rehearsal rumes. It is two CDs worth of material from the original leg of the RTR, and the sound is completely amazing - the masters were I guess 24 track and I honestly have never heard a live recording sound so good - the instruments mesh but are clear, the sound is loud but lush, not harsh, and there are certainly copious amounts of what Stones fans term "the drive". The music sounds to me like the good parts of a cocaine rush - or what I remember of them, anyway. Fast, energetic, hopeful, hellbent - I really can't understand how Dylan manages to get the words to A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall on the hard rock version they real off towards the beginning of disc 1. And the version of Hurricane is just tremendous - you never heard it so fast. Ideally this would have been one disc of '75 and one disc of '76, but no one consulted me, and the results are pretty excellent no matter what. Try to get the "special edition" with the DVD - it only has two tracks, both from Renaldo and Clara, but you really haven't lived until you've watched the Rolling Thunder Review perform ISIS in DVD clarity.

If you're gonna get the Trojan boxes, might I recommend the Tighten Up box, the first Ska box, and the Mod Reggae box -- all cover from early 60s to the early 70s and contain so much lovely music. Either that or give me your addy and I will send you three cds worth of Nasty mixdowns from the Trojan sets that just might NEVER leave your CD player. I know -- I made them for Max, but I've probably played them myself 20 times.

quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

re your point 2. - thanks to ulf i'm now beginning to undersatnd why everybody raves about the boots from the '73 Aus. tour - i got "happy" the other day (either perth or sydney) - on first hearing it bought tears to my eyes - the wild swaggering itensity of keith's sound and playing is electrifying - as i've said before they came here as gods and the evidence suggests they were playing like gods as well

When all is said and done, when it all shakes down, and when the evidence has all been collected, it may turn out that Australia '73 is my favorite Rolling Stones "tour" of all time. Both Sydney from the 27th (which I had not heard until a very very generous fellow countryman of yours sent it my way recently) and Perth have a wildness that is lacking in Europe '73, and a looseness lacking in America '72. It's as if they feel they're out of the spotlight of America and Europe and they just get the fuck DOWN. They may have been doing a LOT of drugs as well - I don't know. But they sound fairly relaxed, and they sound into their shit, and the results are just ridiculously right up my rock and roll alley. Midnight Rambler from Sydney the 27th is BEYOND crazy, and I will still put the Bitch from Perth up against any live recording you can name and say, 'no, THIS, this . . . this is perfection.'

Anyway, I'm going home for the day. Be good, yo.

Thought for the day: Every pum is the same pum pum.

12-09-02 07:29 PM
stonedinaustralia hey beer

so that '66 stuff is ok? - i guess i'ver never really given it much thought - i've alwayd kind of dismissed brian era live stuff (without having heard much of it)on the basis of "got live if you want it" - i.e. very rudimentary noise covered with an almost impenetrable layer of screaming teeenaged girls
12-09-02 07:34 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
hey beer

so that '66 stuff is ok? - i guess i'ver never really given it much thought - i've alwayd kind of dismissed brian era live stuff (without having heard much of it)on the basis of "got live if you want it" - i.e. very rudimentary noise covered with an almost impenetrable layer of screaming teeenaged girls

Weren't you in punk rock bands? Rudimentary noise is where it's at! Oh, yeah, buddy - you got to hear Australia '66, Hawaii '66, and the stuff from the Paris radio tapes (see if there's a version of Paint It Black from Paris '66 on any of your download sites - to hear it is to FREAK!). Brian era live Stones, when you can hear it, is like the greatest punk rock band ever unloading a shotgun straight in your face.

btw sia -- Check above post for Rolling Thunder/Reggae/Australia '73 commentary, in case ya missed it.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
12-09-02 07:44 PM
beer Hell yeah, the Australia and Hawaii '66 boots are totally punk! "Mothers Little Helper" and "Paint it Black" are great. Plus the Melbourne show has "She Said Yeah", "That's How Strong My Love Is", and "Have Mercy", which are sorta rare. Great stuff.
12-09-02 07:59 PM
stonedinaustralia nasty - yes i love rudimentary noise - it's the screaming girls that i find hard a bit hard on the ears