ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1985 Bakshi Prods
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: jagger doco on aussie tv Return to archive
12-08-02 06:23 AM
corgi37 Pretty cool doco on jagger tonight. Went for an hour. Called "Mick Jagger: The Ultimate Performer". Some fanstastic stuff. It was about 3-4 years old though. Footage of the b2b show from san fran was fantastic. Interviews with bb king, mick taylor, paul jones. No real bombshell stuff that isnt already known. Current day altamont site was unreal. What a terrible place. b2b studio session footage was good too. One interesting thing, the program was made by Advent Productions, which is Prince "I am not gay" Edwards company.
12-08-02 07:13 AM
stonedinaustralia hey corg i saw it too

[quote]
No real bombshell stuff that isnt already known. Current day altamont site was unreal. -

>you're right - no bombshells - but i think most of them have been dropped - the re-enactment scenes were a bit impressionistic - ('tho i appreciate it is a broad stroke of the brush for popular consumption) - i could be wrong but i don't think keith had his guitar with him when he met mick on the dartford platform -

to see the altamont site from a relatively contemporary point of view - maybe not a bombshell - but certainly new light - no doubt about it, the altamont landscape (though a nice shade of green) and paul katner (born to be punched??...well, i'm being unkind) are both still fairly unattractive

- the photog. gerard mankovic (sp?) had some interesting insights -

good to see "performance" get the props it deserves

btw/did you hear what happened to donald cammell??.. he blew his own head off..just like in his own movie....well, glad that's his scene and not mine..scorpio rising indeed...

funny to hear mt complaining about having to "go with the flow" when he joined ... what the hell did he expect?? "hey- mick t you got any tunes ???" - mick t's problem was the same one brian and bill suffered with...the art of musicianship on a particular or a variety of instrument has only an indirect connection with the art of songwriting ("so what" - i hear you cry)

ultimately, mick is a voodooman - nice shot him taking charlie's arm as they left the stage one time - mick is total show biz and he knows - "as the drummer goes - so goes the band" - -you can have nina simone or maria callas or james muth f*$*in' brown singing but if the beat is all F45cked up - it aint woth a dime - best look for a job in the fashion industry

btw/ whats a "40" mean in ebonics

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
12-08-02 04:40 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

btw/ whats a "40" mean in ebonics

That's a 40 ounce can/bottle/container of beer, preferably a malt beer (e.g. Colt 45), and usually a cheap one (as long as it gets the job done!)

Personally, I've never had one of these--I live near Latrobe Pennsylvania, so I drink Rolling Rock, but Guinness when I can afford it.

--Rob.
12-08-02 05:36 PM
exile I saw it as well last night
I thought it was ok
No where near as good as the "Being Mick" doco he did on himself

12-09-02 07:19 AM
corgi37 i thought it was much better than being mick. But i thought that was good too. What i want to know is why were only some stones tunes used, and other tunes were "generic stonesy sounding" songs. If you taped it, watch it again. Alot of the old stuff didnt feature the actual song. The jagger special that the history channel on foxtel has shown, did the same thing. Must be a abkco thing. By the way stonedinaustralia, i dont think keith had a guitar when he met mick either. i agree on mick t too. I mean, he didnt get asked to submit songs. So after a while, he splits. Or couldnt handle the pace, or was pissed off because he wasnt getting writing credits (and you have to admit, goats head and IORR) have mick t influence all over them, but still, how many frigging songs has he written since 1974? Not a lot. Much less than old Bill himself. IF i was him, i'd be setting down an hour a day every morning and getting my butler to kick my ass for being such a dick wad for leaving them in the 1st place. No doubt, he is a blistering talent that played on their best records, but hey, he wasnt really one of them. For a start, he didnt have black hair, and his was too fluffy. He didnt move (1 member per band is only allowed to be stone still), he was too cute, and too damn gentle looking. But, boy, can he play.
12-09-02 03:47 PM
Monkey Woman > he didn't have black hair

Well, neither did Brian, Charlie and Mick J.

But I agree he must have felt odd-man out. Plus, as he admitted later, he couldn't handle the drugs.

The whole Mick T./Stones problem seems to me that in the beginning MT wanted to fit in but didn't succeed, or that he didn't realize how hard it could be to "be a Rolling Stone". And as he was very young, it was something that could feel like a loss or submersion of his identity. (All the others, by then, had a long story together, not him. When Ronnie joined, he felt more at home because he was a long time fan and friend.) So MT was disaffected and he quit. Then, afterwards, he apparently went through a episode of depression, which isn't rare at the end of an intense relationship.

Sad, indeed, for one so talented! In fact, as he's still a great guitarist, he could make a comeback, or could have done in the last 20 years. Psychological problems are another matter...
12-10-02 05:22 PM
exile Serously comparing this doco to "Being Mick"

this doco cheaply made with nothing new
all old footage was taken from 25x5 video
anything the didnt have was done with cheap actors on railway platforms
other than that fill the rest up with briges to babylon press confrence and concert snipets
Did enjoy the interview with Mick Taylor though

The Being Mick Doco was rich and insightful well made and quite funny at times I really enjoyed it.