ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1985 Bakshi Prods
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ebonics Exam Return to archive
12-08-02 01:47 AM
VoodooTattoo Since someone on another thread was inquiring about ebonics and its applications, I have taken an old exam previously used by many to provide an accurate test one's aptitude concerning Ebonics culture and pronounciation

Note: The following is not designed to be racist in any way, but reflects the dialect of an actual inner city culture.

Note2: I will post the key to this exam sometime soon. Answer with A,B,C,D, and essay below that.

1) You just robbed som dude with $20 in his wallet. You can buy:
A. A dime and two 40's
B. A new pair of Fila's
C. A used ride
D. Yo mama

2) It's tha end of da monf again and da man is on your back for da rent.
You:
A. Bust a cap in his rear
B. Say, "Man, why you all up in ma bidness?"
C. Have anuther kid on welfare
D. Yo mama

3) You drink haff a 40. How much is left:
A. Haff
B. Da uther haff
C. Zum mo
D. Bout enuff fo yo mama

4) You, beein da bom you are, dress yo self in da morn in which of deese:
A. "Man, what's a brotha like me doin up at dis time in da morn?"
B. Da AK47 with yo Fila's
C. You blade and ya colurs
D. Yo mama dress you

6) Tiz yo 21st birfday. You:
A. Hook up with yo woman down the block and treat her to MceeDees
B. Treat yo self to crack, ice cream, and 40's
C. I do'no maff
D. Stay in da crib wit yo mama.

JEOG-MAFEE

7) Wher iz da mutherland at:
A. Afrika
B. Compton
C. Souff Centra
D. Yo mama

8) What am da capita of California?
A. Da Hood
B. Compton
C. Compton
D. Yo mama

ANALAMA-G'S

9) Tek 9 : Gatt ::
A. St. Ive's : Colt 45
B. Fila's : Nike
C. Tu pac : Barry White
D. Yo mama : yo mama

10) Malt Liquor : Da Chronic ::
A. Da Man : Da Systum
B. ReeRun : MC Hammer
C. Fat Albert : Shaft
D. Yo : mama

NO. LOOKIE HERE FOO. I GOTS TO AXE YOU AN EXXAY QUEXTIUN: IN 25 WURDS MO O LESS, TELL UZ ME WHO AM DA MAN?

So dat we may give uh you yo cowrecked sco, sine yo tag below
12-08-02 02:36 AM
stonedinaustralia thanx vt - that was me!! - i'll post my answers soon - hope i make the cut- cheers!!

one question 'tho - why "ebonics" - is it from "ebony" i.e. black??... or have i now answered my own question??

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
12-08-02 07:58 AM
nankerphelge And some Jagbonics:

Ahsaw ertodee atdee rihcepshaw
(I saw her today at the reception)

Ahdonwanu feeda 'ogs
(I don't want you to feed the hogs)

Ani 'ida speedinsodma shu
(And I hid the speed inside my shoe)

Denwah duyuteet mebadlay
(Then why do you treat me badly)

12-08-02 08:09 AM
stonedinaustralia nanker , yes, jagbonics and ebonics can be seen as one...aahh misss you baaaaby and i'll fuck yo' mama if she's still good lookin'

without getting all serious on yo' ass (as it were) - that's why i love the stones - remember the TAMI show!! - they even followed james brown and topped it!! - no relation to mick (brown that is) - as i understand it
12-08-02 09:14 AM
nankerphelge James Brown is playing here in DC at the end of the month. I saw him a little over a year ago at the same club and the guy was great!

When he sang Sex Machine this tall, big black woman behind me started dancing around like mad and yelling "I want to have sex" at the top of her lungs! Some short white dude was on it in seconds!

I remember when he got busted in the 80s doing 100mph in a Cadillac in one of the Carolinas while on mushrooms!! That would be either a textbook megaNolte or perhaps a whole new class of fucked up!

What would you call it if you started partying in South Carolina in the morning, woke up the next day in a North Carolina jail with mushroom breath and no recollection of the last 24 hours whatsoever except occasionally sticking your head out the window at high speed yellin' "HHHEEEEEEeeeeey" at all the cops chasing you (and really digging it at the time)!

That has to have some special name I would think?
A Brownie!!??

[Edited by nankerphelge]
12-08-02 09:38 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:

I remember when he got busted in the 80s doing 100mph in a Cadillac in one of the Carolinas while on mushrooms!! That would be either a textbook megaNolte or perhaps a whole new class of fucked up!

yes , i remember that - he was here shortly before or after that - early '88 - i saw him - at the "apollo stadium" - i kid you not, that was it's name - a western suburbs basketball stadium in adelaide (where i saw both chuck berry and little richard in '73) - he was still great - his rythym guitarist was the business and maceo was still on sax - he came back 10 years later - i didn't see him then but i was told first hand he was a bit tired - did i ever tell you about the biggest disappointment in my life was seeing ray charles around '96 -

anyway nanker, forget james for the brownie, it's poor willie down at the crossroads for that one - i believe he's sinking down...

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
12-08-02 10:53 AM
sirmoonie I saw him being interviewed once, might have been on Stern, and he said 3 or 4 times: "I'm a man's man! I look good! I smell good!" It was hilarious. The man is the ultimate hedonist.

Love that ebonics quiz, btw. Uh, uh...woppa, appa pie, fench figh, docca peppa...
12-08-02 12:51 PM
Highwire Rob It's a pity, I speak 70's Jive but that's about as dead as Latin these days.

For the following sound clips go to http://www.moviequotequiz.com/reviews/airplane.html

"Can I get you something?"
"Chi, mo' fo buttuh layin' into the bone, 'sjackin' me up. Tightly."
"I'm sorry, I don't understand."
"Cut he say can't hang."
"Oh stewardess? I speak Jive."
"Oh, good."
"He said that he's in great pain, and he wants to know if you can help him."
"Alright, would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine."
"Jes' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch up on the rebound on the med side."
"What it is, big mama, my mama didn't raise no dummies, I dug her rap."
"Cut me some slack, Jack!"
[Volley of Jive talkin']
"Chump don't want no help, chump don't get no help."
"Say can't hang, say seven up."
"Jive ass dude don't got no brains, anyhow."
--------------------------------------------
Hey the same site has these memorable Airplane sound bites for our Rock's Off friend Joey:

"Joey, d'you ever hang around the gymnasium?"
"Joey? You like movies about gladiators?"
"Joey? Have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison?"
12-10-02 01:57 AM
product of rancid
quote:

I be balln in da hizzyood on da souf sizzy uf LA... owutisayin my crew an I bey kiggin it olschizzyol... gotsta giv propsta my bizzyoyeee...

12-10-02 02:12 AM
product of rancid
quote:
product of rancid wrote:

We'fah = welfare