ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1985 Bakshi Prods
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones to play Superbowl half-time show! Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-06-02 07:11 PM
crb69 This morning on Q104.3FM NY the Radio Chick announced the Rolling Stones signed on to play a set during the Superbowl half-time show. She also mentioned that there was to be another band to play after them. They supposedly have another band available in case the Stones aren't ready due to the time slot. I would imagine the Stones would perform 2nd anyway...Cool huh?
12-06-02 08:18 PM
Scottfree Please say it isn't so.... This is just a bad dream (clicking heels 3 times)
12-06-02 08:18 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl That's cheap

The Stones must be always the top of the bill, that's a filling part for those in need like Britney or Aerosmith but not for the Rolling Stones grrrrrrrrrrrr
12-06-02 08:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Hey Scottfree seems that we posted the same feeling at the very same time!
12-06-02 09:39 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yeah, I must agree. They had McCartney perform before U2 last year... how crass. True, McCartney's song sucked and U2's tribute was actually quite touching (for once, U2 does something worthwhile), but as a matter of principle, The Stones kick the ass of whatever dickhead popstars they got to take up their precious time.

My ideal plan? Get out there, get Keith and Ronnie to commandeer one of those big rigs that they put the cameras on so they get high-angle shots, trade solos for ten fucking minutes on "You Can't Always Get What You Want", get down, and do "Sympathy". There's your fucking halftime show. Then I'd have Keith hit Terry Bradshaw in the head with his guitar.

-tSYX --- See the sunlight break the ice, for the birds of paradise, listen to the song they sing, awakening...
12-06-02 09:49 PM
stonedinaustralia yes, it doesn't sound very good does it - a bit too "populist" for their "image"

my guess it will be either diabolical (in away that only the stones can be diabolical) or they'll really pull something out of their collective hat and steal the show

but they should definitely top the bill - by my way of looking at things the stones play second fiddle to no one when it comes to "mainsteam" musical entertainment - they are, imho, so far beyond all that the thought of them being followed by some 15 minuter is not even funny
12-06-02 10:06 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I meant how cheap they are just because they are going to play during the Superbowl half-time show as they are being a side activity, but cheaper is not to be at the top of the bill! SHIT! What's next?
12-06-02 10:06 PM
Nasty Habits Yeah, it's kind of like Bob Dylan singing the national anthem before the first World Series game or something - it just does not fit the level of authority they command and deserve. But come on, SIA, while one might HOPE they do something totally diabolical or clever, they're just gonna come out, play three/four hits, get everybody's fist in the air and then quit it. I don't like the idea even though I will watch it and probably enjoy it.

btw, evening all.

12-06-02 10:15 PM
beer Any guesses as to what the three songs will be?
12-06-02 10:27 PM
Nasty Habits Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash

encore

Only Rock and Roll

What suppose the odds are on this -- less than even?

12-06-02 10:32 PM
stonedinaustralia nasty my friend - you're probably right - the operative word of course is "hope"

btw/if you haven't gone yet - did those lyrics i mentioned in my last email mean anyhting to you??
12-06-02 10:44 PM
Nasty Habits Sadly, no -- I am unable to place those cryptic words -- sound like something out of the Wicker Man. But rest assured, some day I will put on some album I've picked up thinking 'this looks like a weird bit of bizness' and at some point the words "there is a meeting . . . there is a meeting tonight" will crawl out of the speakers and I'll have to run to the computer to e-mail you.

It could happen, you know.

gotta jet -- have a nice evening everybody.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
12-06-02 10:59 PM
stonedinaustralia thanks anyway

btw/ how are things??...cool i trust

as you can imagine with my recent good fortune i'm feeling pretty optimistic these days

more than anything scoring those tickets was a huge RELIEF -that's a lot of heat and weight off my psychic being - still as i said over on the wembley thread - i'll not be entirely comfortable 'til i've got those tix in my hand - but i really feel "over the hump" as it were

and i fully understood those inverted commas when you i said i "deserved" to get them

i still can't believe it in a way - i was sceptical they would even do a small show down here and even if they did i thought my chances of being there were no better than 50/50 but to have rights of entry with the show still 2 months or so away has an almost surreal or should that be uber-real feel about it
12-06-02 11:24 PM
glencar This is awful. The radio chick is an idiot so let's hope this is just a rumor. U2 did an excellent job last year but usually it ends up being a fiasco.
12-07-02 12:09 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy The dream setlist:

Starfucker
Had It With You
Flip The Switch

Encore: Get Off Of My Cloud

That oughtta fuck up everybody in the audience a bit. 'Specially "Starfucker". Actually, maybe if they switched "Starfucker" and "Get Off Of My Cloud" it'd be nice... kinda start out with the familiar and progressively get more and more horrible until they just scar the children at home.

I still think Keith should hit Terry Bradshaw. And the rest of that lame football commentary crew. "I think it's gonna be an overturned coach's challenge... oh no, the ruling holds! What a surprise! What suspense!"

Christ, that game's become the symbol of American style these days - if you don't like it, cry until you get your way, and hold up everybody else's time in the process.

*sigh*. And my generation's not gonna make it any better...

-tSYX --- Talkin' bout my generation...
12-07-02 12:21 AM
FPM C10 Ugh. This is awful, if true (it does sound like something that won't happen.)Playing at the Super Bowl is SO beneath them. It's more a Creed or Britney kinda gig.
12-07-02 12:23 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
The dream setlist:

Starfucker
Had It With You
Flip The Switch

Encore: Get Off Of My Cloud

That oughtta fuck up everybody in the audience a bit. 'Specially "Starfucker". Actually, maybe if they switched "Starfucker" and "Get Off Of My Cloud" it'd be nice... kinda start out with the familiar and progressively get more and more horrible until they just scar the children at home.

Talkin' bout my generation...

bravo tSYX - that's the spirit!! - "your" generation obviously has it too - not that i need to tell you but it's attitude not age - how about "winning ugly" - not only would it scare the kids at home but quite few stones fans would reel in horror as well - also it would provide a nicely jaundiced view of the "contest" element of the event
12-07-02 12:42 AM
Maxlugar Sweet merciful sperm on a triscuit!

No!

Friggin' no!

This is not going to happen!

Do not Brittney-fy my Stones!

I'm shitting my pants in disgust right now!
12-07-02 12:45 AM
2000 Man
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Ugh. This is awful, if true (it does sound like something that won't happen.)Playing at the Super Bowl is SO beneath them. It's more a Creed or Britney kinda gig.

I'm with you. I don't want the NFL mucking up my love of rock n' roll at all. Let 'em have Paul and U2. Hell, throw in Aerosmith and a Led Zeppelin reunion. Then I can go take a shit and read the sports page in peace during halftime.
12-07-02 08:51 AM
crb69 Let's look at the real picture here. We all love the dark side of the Stones; the Keef side if you will. Mick always appealed to both sides very well. He remained the pop star but always gave us true Stones fans what we wanted all along. Keef is, and always will be, that bohemian that we love. Don't you guys see why they have lasted so long. They have not only reinvented themselves many times but remained to come out on top when they seemed fit. Now they are just living up to their title, "The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band in the World, THE ROLLING STONES". I feel with every tour since '81 they've been on top showing the world, just with numbers alone, that they are the epitomy of Rock 'N Roll. They've been doing this, proving this if you will, for 40 years. No band will ever do this again. They know it & we all know it. They want to go out with a bang and play to everyone that they possibly can at this point. It's exposure all over again. Why do true Stones fans get mad at the band just trying to appeal to as many people as they can. They are doing it because they can. They aren't just doing it for the money, they are doing it for Rock 'N Roll. I'm also sick of hearing the Miss You's and other radio friendly songs, but that's what sells. Anyone who enjoys those songs has the freedom to buy the other cd's and discover the real Stones that we love. So enjoy everything they offer us now, because when they're gone, a big part of rock 'n roll will be gone with them...

My vote for tunes I think they will do:
Don't Stop - Start Me Up - I.O.R.R.
12-07-02 09:17 AM
nankerphelge The only way this could possibly work is if they refuse to leave the field and they have to cancel the rest of the game. That would be cool. Keith using his guitar to knock the skulls of any Event Staff that comes near the stage! Hijack the Superbowl boys, otherwise just say No!
12-07-02 09:42 AM
Maxlugar Damn good idea Nanks.

This is so upsetting.

I can see the wide shots now:

Stage in the middle of the field with the small crowd of morons they let run up to it and jump up and down and scream throughout the songs. Not a single Eminem lovin' one of them knowing the songs.

Blech!
12-07-02 10:21 AM
Nellcote Bring it on! This would boost the sales for everything.

Put 40 Licks beyond Beatles #1 in sales, following a hot
HBO special on 01/18/03.

As one whom witnessed U2 live at XXXVI as the Mighty Pats won, it was a power event, given the tragic situation it portrayed.

Macca too saccarin.....

THE STONES WOULD ROCK LIKE NO OTHER HALFTIME SHOW EVER.
Period.

Keith at a National USA event, biggest TV draw of the year?
Can you not wait for this or what?

Remember the ovation they got when they came out at the Concert for America? This could be where the queue came from for this, if it is true.

Please let this happen...
How sweet it is!

3 Tunes

Start Me Up
Don't Stop
Honky Tonk Woman (with Video?) Boy, that would kick butt!

[Edited by Nellcote]
[Edited by Nellcote]
12-07-02 10:41 AM
Gazza >Any guesses as to what the three songs will be?

All Sold Out
Money
Luxury

Ouch!
12-07-02 11:32 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash

encore

Only Rock and Roll

What suppose the odds are on this -- less than even?

I don't know what the odds are, ask Joey!

Go VT, beat Miami!
12-07-02 01:16 PM
prism Unfortunately but logically they will probably do Don't Stop
12-07-02 03:19 PM
Highwire Rob What I wan'na know is, will Mick wear the (American) football tights? Yellow ones?
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
12-07-02 03:30 PM
Moonisup Don't lie to me
Jigsaw puzzle
I'm just playing for the money hehehee

FUCK IT

if the stones would do THAT, the will be just like Britney

don't stop will be in it
12-08-02 11:36 AM
Stones Fan, Gar As much as I would love to see the Stones perform anytime, anywhere,I just can't see them doing the half time thing. This could be a train wreck. A few years ago, as I recall Aerosmith did the half time gig and ended up doing a jam with some "boy band" and Brittney. Oh the Horror!!! I pray this is a crazy rumor.
12-08-02 06:03 PM
rocker ok everybody, get off your high horse. its only rock n' roll and the stones are gonna expose the whole world to it. i think it will be cool.

if you dont like it, the n ronnie wood is gonna knock yer teeth out one by one.

id like to see em do "dont stop, happy, and midnight rambler"
Page: 1 2