ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

"Why'd you have to leave us like that, you sod!
I could think of a hundred other fuckers who should have gone instead of him!
He wasn't even on my list!"

Keith Richards. Stu's funeral - New York City 1985
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: best post Tattoo You album has to be!!!.... Return to archive Page: 1 2
5th December 2006 05:35 PM
speedfreakjive Voodoo Lounge!!!!!

IMHO the quality of most of the songs and the musicianship on this record makes it the best since 81'. apart from Suck On The Jugular which is awful.
Mick and Keith were working closely on this one, unlike any effort since.
5th December 2006 05:37 PM
Some Guy There was one?
5th December 2006 05:42 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
There was one?

what, good album since 81'?
given, but i am talking the best of what there was recorded
5th December 2006 05:43 PM
Joey

Tattoo You was the last great Rock n' Roll album EVER !

Kins.
5th December 2006 05:45 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Joey wrote:

Tattoo You was the last great Rock n' Roll album EVER !

Kins.

P-O-S-T-I-N.
5th December 2006 05:51 PM
Saint Sway Had It With You & One Hit To the Body are the 2 best songs post Tattoo You
5th December 2006 05:51 PM
speedfreakjive most of TY does lack a decent raw, edgy guitar soun though
5th December 2006 05:56 PM
robpop
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Had It With You & One Hit To the Body are the 2 best songs post Tattoo You

I think the best song of that era is "She Was Hot". I always did like that song. I wish I could have seen it live this fall.
5th December 2006 06:02 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
most of TY does lack a decent raw, edgy guitar soun though

nothing that couldnt be boostered on the Bang tour with an over the top horn arrangement and a trio of back ground singers
5th December 2006 06:05 PM
lotsajizz Mean Disposition
5th December 2006 06:52 PM
glencar
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Voodoo Lounge!!!!!

IMHO the quality of most of the songs and the musicianship on this record makes it the best since 81'. apart from Suck On The Jugular which is awful.
Mick and Keith were working closely on this one, unlike any effort since.

Not that I had a modicum of respect for you anyway but now I've lost the smidgen I had. I like a few songs from VL (Mean Disposition, the 2 Keefs, LIS) but overall. it's shite. I think it's the worst post-TY release.
5th December 2006 08:19 PM
Soldatti VL is by far their best post 1981 album, Dirty Work is their last authentic album.
5th December 2006 08:42 PM
Dan
quote:
glencar wrote:
Not that I had a modicum of respect for you anyway but now I've lost the smidgen I had. I like a few songs from VL (Mean Disposition, the 2 Keefs, LIS) but overall. it's shite. I think it's the worst post-TY release.

I am glad I didn't have to be the first one to say it. Very over-rated among Stones fans. It has a few standout tracks but is mostly a generic paint by numbers release. I liked it a lot the day it came out but a week later I wasn't even listening to it and still can't listen to it all the way through. The playing is okay, but most of the lyrics are unbelievably lame.

To me, it's a throwaway release as an excuse to tour because Mick still wasn't comfortable with a straight up nostalgia tour.

Also I think 1991-1994 are the best years for music ever, so not only does Voodoo Lounge not stack up well against previous Stones releases, many of which were re-issued at the same time, it doesn't match up well when stacked up against what many current bands were also releasing at that time. It also sounds really dated now.
5th December 2006 08:43 PM
Dan Best post TY release is Undercover. Sure about half the songs are lame but half the songs are as good as anything they have ever done.
5th December 2006 08:55 PM
Bloozehound pound for pound, Voodoo Lounge all the way
5th December 2006 09:06 PM
Poplar VL is OK (i like about half of it) and B2B has about 4 good tracks.

After some thought, I gotta go with ABB. It's got some good stuff, and I can make it all the way thru.
[Edited by Poplar]
5th December 2006 09:20 PM
mrhipfl All of the songs on Voodoo Lounge would have been great fillers, but few tracks really stand out. B2B flows better and has some really great stand-out tracks. ABB has too many fillers as well, but there are great ones in there.
5th December 2006 10:19 PM
Altamont
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
most of TY does lack a decent raw, edgy guitar soun though

We must be listening to different versions of Tattoo You! The guitar sound on that album is excellent IMO.

5th December 2006 10:32 PM
time is on my side Best post Tattoo You release???? (TY, by the way, gets better and better with age- the last truly great STONES album imo)

ABB
5th December 2006 10:41 PM
texile undercover - the last one with that great, nasty sound......
6th December 2006 12:59 AM
IanBillen
Maybe Voodoo for muscianship. It is more epic than ABB.

However, For straight ahead "no Frills" Stones we may have to go with ABB over everything since Tatoo You.

Ian
6th December 2006 07:01 AM
Honky Tonk Man Bridges To Babylon
6th December 2006 09:14 AM
Paranoid_Android 40 Licks!!!

Seriously, though...UNDERCOVER...I love the whole thing...
6th December 2006 11:26 AM
Saint Sway I like the Voodoo Brew discs

weird thing is the bsides are the best tracks for VL. Drive, Jump On Top Of Me, The Storm, So Young...
6th December 2006 11:50 AM
F505 A Bigger Bang no doubt. The rest is all weak with exception of a few scattered great songs like Continental Drift.
6th December 2006 12:49 PM
GotToRollMe I'm very partial to Bridges To Babylon. I still listen to it on a regular basis, and I can make it all the way through without skipping songs. Wish I could say that about ABB, although lately I've been appreciating it more and more. Took some time, but it's finally growing on me.
6th December 2006 01:19 PM
glencar I've always liked all of it with the exception of VL. BTB had me from the start as did ABB but I haven't listened to any of them lately.
6th December 2006 01:20 PM
Dan Also, it seems how much someone likes VL is inversely proportional to amount of discs bought since Flashpoint was released.
6th December 2006 01:22 PM
glencar Eh? I have them all.
6th December 2006 01:28 PM
Dan
quote:
glencar wrote:
Eh? I have them all.

I mean any other music between Flashpoint and VL. Seems people who only listen to the Stones see VL as the second coming.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)