ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

"Why'd you have to leave us like that, you sod!
I could think of a hundred other fuckers who should have gone instead of him!
He wasn't even on my list!"

Keith Richards. Stu's funeral - New York City 1985
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: (NSC) Walk This Way To The Best Gig Of The Year Return to archive
5th December 2006 05:23 PM
Dan http://www.nypost.com/seven/12052006/entertainment/music/walk_this_way_to_best_big_gig_of_the_year_music_dan_aquilante.htm

WALK THIS WAY TO BEST BIG GIG OF THE YEAR
By DAN AQUILANTE
An energized Steven Tyler never let up at the Beacon. December 5, 2006 -- AEROSMITH
ALL things considered - all things being the Stones' stadium specta cles on the Jersey side this sum mer and the Red Hot Chili Peppers sizzling springtime date at Irving Plaza - Sunday's Aerosmith gig at the Beacon stands as the top concert to play a major hall in N.Y.C. this year. Seriously.

Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler hit the stage running and never relaxed or relented during the two-hour set, which featured hits side by side with rarities from the band's early years when they were first crowned the kings of American blues-rock.

Because the show was a "Private Pass" gig with tickets available only to Citibank AAdvantage credit card holders, Tyler set up the ground rules early. He folded his arms, leaned back and got a dopey, drowsy look on his face, and said, "We won't be having any of this."

The standing-room-only crowd abided by standing up and dancing the night away. It was as if Tyler expected the worst at this corporate-sponsored event - and was blown away to discover how wrong he was about New York fans, as they matched the band's energy all the way to the encore "Walk This Way."

Since Aerosmith has so many original hits, you might not realize how great the band's admiration of the blues is. It was clear not only with the dusty early song "Nobody Knows Me," but also in terrific covers of blues-rock classics like "Walkin' the Dog," "Rattlesnake Shake" and "Baby Please Don't Go."

Aerosmith built a heart-pounding concert: real, in-the-moment rock 'n' roll where nothing felt forced, panties were tossed and the wall between band and fans was shattered.

They tackled their oldest, choicest tunes including "Living on the Edge," "Dream On" and "Sweet Emotion" - and offered them with the kind of musicianship you rarely hear in arena settings, where sound is often sloppy because of over-amplification.

The intimacy also gave Tyler and Perry a chance to speak about how songs were written and what they meant to the band. This show sparkled from unwavering confidence.

[email protected]

5th December 2006 05:29 PM
Saint Sway I should of went to this. I was crippled Sunday night with an unbearable migraine attack. Couldnt get off the couch. Fack.
5th December 2006 05:32 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I should of went to this. I was crippled Sunday night with an unbearable migraine attack. Couldnt get off the couch. Fack.

That sucks! I had to blow off the Melvins/Big Business and Dickies/Agent Orange because I found out the hard way that drinking heavily to numb cold symptoms while attending multiple gigs isn't always the best treatment plan.
5th December 2006 05:36 PM
lotsajizz I'm not surprised at this...Aerosmith has been playing with renewed energy for the last couple of years....people might laugh at Bobo, but it got them playin' better...
5th December 2006 05:40 PM
speedfreakjive uncanny irony / coincidence that Aerosmith are the main Stones clones, and they play the same place as the Stones a month later
5th December 2006 05:47 PM
Saint Sway Dan Arquete is the work music critic EVER. A moron.

"They tackled their oldest, choicest tunes including "Living on the Edge,""

WTF??

Clearly he knows nothing.

anyway.... one interesting point of note from the show that somehow escaped this reviewer was that this was the firstshow with Tom Hamilton since he started treatments for his cancer. He spoke to the audience and said a few words before "Dream On"

5th December 2006 05:56 PM
Saint Sway

5th December 2006 05:56 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Dan Arquete is the work music critic EVER. A moron.

"They tackled their oldest, choicest tunes including "Living on the Edge,""

WTF??

Clearly he knows nothing.

anyway.... one interesting point of note from the show that somehow escaped this reviewer was that this was the firstshow with Tom Hamilton since he started treatments for his cancer. He spoke to the audience and said a few words before "Dream On"

that is a stupid bit of writing indeed.
5th December 2006 06:06 PM
lotsajizz uh, Mr. Sway, as I then reported, Tom Hamilton came onstage at Mansfield this September...so that is not the first time he's returned since the cancer treatment
5th December 2006 09:25 PM
mrhipfl Saw them a couple of weeks ago. They were really raw and energized. In your face rock n' roll. Only a 14 song set, however.
5th December 2006 09:37 PM
Dan
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
Saw them a couple of weeks ago. They were really raw and energized. In your face rock n' roll. Only a 14 song set, however.

For some reason I get the idea it was a great show because it was a short set, not in spite of it. Only because I have seen them do many 2 hour shows, none of which ever came close to what I saw last month.
5th December 2006 09:45 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Dan wrote:

For some reason I get the idea it was a great show because it was a short set, not in spite of it. Only because I have seen them do many 2 hour shows, none of which ever came close to what I saw last month.

true. If they had to play a full set, they'd have to pace themselves and wouldn't be able to let loose as much.
6th December 2006 11:24 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
uh, Mr. Sway, as I then reported, Tom Hamilton came onstage at Mansfield this September...so that is not the first time he's returned since the cancer treatment

first full show hes performed
6th December 2006 12:54 PM
GotToRollMe Dammit! If I'd known they were playing the Beacon, I would have SO been there. The audio is up on Dime, by the way:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=124215

6th December 2006 01:09 PM
Saint Sway GTRM, the show wasnt publicly advertised. It was a private show thru Citibank. And most of their employees snatched up tickets before their card holders could.
6th December 2006 01:37 PM
Dan There is apparently also a DVD but as of now it's for sale only.
6th December 2006 01:59 PM
glencar Dan Aquilante is not the best critic going. I find it hard to believe that this show beat any Stones show.
6th December 2006 02:01 PM
Dan
quote:
glencar wrote:
Dan Aquilante is not the best critic going. I find it hard to believe that this show beat any Stones show.

I would have to say the 2 Aero shows I saw were much better than Dodger Stadium. Just rocked a lot harder all around.
6th December 2006 02:04 PM
glencar I've seen them once & they were okay.
6th December 2006 02:19 PM
Saint Sway ck out this story from Tyler's blog:
(backstage getting b12 shots from the rock doc)

------
Then it was 5 mintues with the doc...re-upped my vitamins...B12 shot in the
butt... Joey got one too and taught me how to stand on one leg so my butt
cheeck wasn't so tight. My ass is so tight after 5 months - don't want the
needle gettin stuck. Thanks Joey! The doctor said last month when he was
at the Stones concert - doin' them -. he wore an Aerosmith shirt and they
poked fun at him. So when he walked in with a Stones shirt we made him go
out and not come back till he changed it...tou f*@%in' che...
------
6th December 2006 02:19 PM
Nellcote Nobody knows me as a dusty classic?
Er, GC, you are right, this cat is jaded.
Might he be referring to a song off their debut lp called "Movin Out"? I cannot stand rock critics who can't be factually correct.
BTW, they played this tune at my high school in 1974!!!
6th December 2006 02:22 PM
glencar
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
ck out this story from Tyler's blog:
(backstage getting b12 shots from the rock doc)

------
Then it was 5 mintues with the doc...re-upped my vitamins...B12 shot in the
butt... Joey got one too and taught me how to stand on one leg so my butt
cheeck wasn't so tight. My ass is so tight after 5 months - don't want the
needle gettin stuck. Thanks Joey! The doctor said last month when he was
at the Stones concert - doin' them -. he wore an Aerosmith shirt and they
poked fun at him. So when he walked in with a Stones shirt we made him go
out and not come back till he changed it...tou f*@%in' che...
------

B12 is for energy? That splains a lot!
6th December 2006 02:23 PM
glencar
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Nobody knows me as a dusty classic?
Er, GC, you are right, this cat is jaded.
Might he be referring to a song off their debut lp called "Movin Out"? I cannot stand rock critics who can't be factually correct.
BTW, they played this tune at my high school in 1974!!!

I bought today's post this am at the bagel place but haven't read it yet!
6th December 2006 02:47 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
B12 is for energy? That splains a lot!

yeah. Rockers always get b12 shots in their ass.

my friend is a doc at PNC, Borgata etc for concerts. He brags about how he's met all these rock stars.... I have to keep reminding him that he's meeting them while sticking a needle in their ass. Its not exactly trashing hotel rooms with Zeppelin at the Hyatt House
6th December 2006 02:48 PM
Dan I don't like needles, can I just chop up the vitamins and snort them?
6th December 2006 04:42 PM
Saint Sway heres a vid of Tyler showing how its done or taken... scroll down

http://forums.aeroforceone.com/viewtopic.php?t=47566&start=360&sid=b75dd846cd1274a28aa4dcd5c46b5e26
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)