ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

"Why'd you have to leave us like that, you sod!
I could think of a hundred other fuckers who should have gone instead of him!
He wasn't even on my list!"

Keith Richards. Stu's funeral - New York City 1985
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: do you think Dylan hates Mick? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
2nd December 2006 01:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Also the only star sign to include both a Stone (two in fact) AND a Beatle.

Who?
2nd December 2006 07:04 PM
Navin
Bob Dylan has recorded with all the Stones guitarists on his albums - with Ron Wood, of course, and Mick Taylor both of whom also played live several times with the man...even Brian Jones had recording sessions with him sometime in '65 according to Wyman's book ["...dancing child with the chinese suit.."
"...because TIME is on his side..."]

Not really sure if he did any sessions with Keith
["The Prophet of Profit"]

["..you got something better, you got a HEART OF STONE..."]

2nd December 2006 07:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Who?

Woody
Charlie
Macca
4th December 2006 10:59 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Live Aid had nothing to do with it. Mick was already on the bill for that show as the Stones, as a band, had refused to play the gig. Dylan was meant to play with a band that Bill Graham had put together for him, but decided at a couple of days notice to do it acoustic - so he asked Woody to help him out. Woody in turn then asked Keith.

Ronnie is friends with pretty much everyone. He's not known as the 'holy host' for nothing. Without his ability to bond and bring people together, we wouldnt still have a band to discuss.

Good lord, Gazza. Do you just reel this stuff off the top of your head or do you have to refer to your files? LOL! Either way, pretty fuckin' impressive.
4th December 2006 12:05 PM
Gazza Nah.. Woody did a really good interview about Bob in the now-defunct UK Dylan magazine "The Telegraph" (without doubt the greatest fan magazine of all time) in the late 80's, in which he discussed the Live Aid episode at some length as well as some of his various other dealings with Dylan down the years.

It can be found in one of the two compendiums of interviews taken from the magazine that were published some years ago, "Wanted Man" or "All Across The Telegraph" - cant remember which one off the top of my head, though.
4th December 2006 12:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
Navin wrote:
Not really sure if he did any sessions with Keith

He didnt, but aside from his five guest appearances at Stones shows in 1995 and 1998 (when he was the opening act each time) he's played onstage with Keith at Live Aid (1985) and the 'Guitar Legends' Festival in Seville, Spain in 1991 (they did a duet of 'Shake, Rattle & Roll' together on that one as well as playing their own set of songs)

Woody has guested onstage with Bob on at least ten occasions that I can think of between 1985 and 2004. I was at the Hyde Park show in 1996 when Ronnie played for all of Dylan's set apart from the acoustic songs. That was a pleasant surprise!
4th December 2006 12:59 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:

He didnt, but aside from his five guest appearances at Stones shows in 1995 and 1998 (when he was the opening act each time) he's played onstage with Keith at Live Aid (1985) and the 'Guitar Legends' Festival in Seville, Spain in 1991 (they did a duet of 'Shake, Rattle & Roll' together on that one as well as playing their own set of songs)

Woody has guested onstage with Bob on at least ten occasions that I can think of between 1985 and 2004. I was at the Hyde Park show in 1996 when Ronnie played for all of Dylan's set apart from the acoustic songs. That was a pleasant surprise!

HOWE do I get the Hyde Park show Gary? Is it on a bootlegged DVD anywhere perchance? I would LOVE to see the antics on stage that night. YOU are one very lucky man my rnr friend!

Lucky indeed!

;-)
4th December 2006 01:05 PM
steel driving hammer Yes I do, thanks for asking.

Didn't he say once that anybody can write Satisfaction but nobody can write his songs?
4th December 2006 02:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
Martha wrote:

HOWE do I get the Hyde Park show Gary? Is it on a bootlegged DVD anywhere perchance? I would LOVE to see the antics on stage that night. YOU are one very lucky man my rnr friend!

Lucky indeed!

;-)

Parts of the Hyde Park show were actually broadcast on TV on Sky in the UK and HBO in the US. It was part of the "Mastercard Masters of Music" Concert for Prince Charles' "Princes Trust" charity. The bill consisted of Alanis Morisette, Bob Dylan, The Who and special guests performing 'Quadrophenia' and finally Eric Clapton. Took place on 29th June 1996. Al Kooper and Woody sat in during Dylan's set.

Was nice to see it on TV, but I think we only got 3 of Dylan's set and other countries got five (his set only consisted of 9 songs). It was a bit daft to broadcast 'Quadrophenia' and only include about a quarter of the songs. I probably have it on video or DVD somewhere..I'll have to dig it out for you

The biggest crowd I've ever been in (there were 150,000 people there!), and a bizarre setting as you arent allowed to buy alcohol in Hyde Park as its a public park.

Oh, and the ticket price was £8.50 (about $14), which even by 1996 standards was about a third of what you'd normally expect to pay to see a major act of that calibre. Let alone a whole host of them.
4th December 2006 02:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Yes I do, thanks for asking.

Didn't he say once that anybody can write Satisfaction but nobody can write his songs?

I think the story was, according to Tony Scaduto's Jagger bio, that he was bantering with Mick and said "I could have written 'Satisfaction' but YOU couldnt have written 'Tambourine Man'"....
[Edited by Gazza]
4th December 2006 02:21 PM
robpop
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I think the story was, according to Tony Scaduto's Jagger bio, that he was bantering with Mick and said "I could have written 'Satisfaction' but YOU couldnt have written 'Tambourine Man'"....
[Edited by Gazza]

Oh fuck, Could anybody else possibly have written "Tambourine Man"?
4th December 2006 02:26 PM
StonesChick
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

I think Mick's comment to that was, but could HE sing Satisfaction?
4th December 2006 03:34 PM
Doxa
quote:
StonesChick wrote:

I think Mick's comment to that was, but could HE sing Satisfaction?

Exactly, and he also said that Dylan actually said it to Keith. Anyway the proposition holds true, he admitted (with a laugh), but he would like to hear Dylan singing "Satisfaction".

- Doxa
4th December 2006 04:26 PM
Saint Sway I've heard Dylan sing Brown Sugar. And it was pretty cool actually.
4th December 2006 04:45 PM
The Wick
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

According to Keith, he actually said that to Keith but said I could have written Satisfaction but you couldn't have written Desolation Row.
4th December 2006 07:49 PM
mojoman
quote:
The Wick wrote:

According to Keith, he actually said that to Keith but said I could have written Satisfaction but you couldn't have written Desolation Row.

ok desolation row is a great song at the top of bobby's canon but it ain't satisfaction. could bobby have written like a rolling stone without keef?
[Edited by mojoman]
[Edited by mojoman]
4th December 2006 08:33 PM
Gazza
quote:
mojoman wrote:

ok desolation row is a great song at the top of bobby's canon but it ain't satisfaction.

Correct. Its far better
4th December 2006 08:46 PM
Mel Belli Call me a blasphemer, but I've always found "Desolation Row" a bore.
4th December 2006 08:46 PM
WJ
quote:
mojoman wrote:

ok desolation row is a great song at the top of bobby's canon but it ain't satisfaction. could bobby have written like a rolling stone without keef?

Like a Rolling Stone was actually written about Brian Jones.

FYI
4th December 2006 09:05 PM
mojoman
quote:
WJ wrote:

FYI

thats cool!!!
4th December 2006 09:49 PM
Lazy Bones 04/12/2006
Dylan/Stones’ Like A Rolling Stone: rock’s highest peak

Thanks to Gerhard Bonhoffer for alerting me to the video clip from You Tube of Dylan as a guest of the Rolling Stones at a gig in Brazil, on the band’s Bridges To Babylon tour.

The sight of the Poet Laureate of Rock n Roll duetting with Sir Jack Flash, the greatest rock performer of them all, fronting rock’s best live band, on the best rock song ever written, brought tears to my eyes. Almost seven minutes of uncontrollable joy: a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Even on a computer screen.

Is this video clip the highest peak of rock music? I think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTqEW2em0u4

Gerry Smith
4th December 2006 10:20 PM
Mel Belli That was frickin' beautiful. Loved watching Mick trying to anticipate Bob's phrasing. Hilarious. Great performance all around.
4th December 2006 11:27 PM
Bruno It was so cool to watch it by TV, I was only 13 then. You liked the performance; if you can, search Gimme Shelter from this show, the best I´ve ever heard, truly thrilling.

You see the people jumping like mad and singing along? That´s why we´re the best audience in the whole world - I´d like to hear Madafaka´s opinion about that
5th December 2006 01:34 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
04/12/2006
Dylan/Stones’ Like A Rolling Stone: rock’s highest peak

Thanks to Gerhard Bonhoffer for alerting me to the video clip from You Tube of Dylan as a guest of the Rolling Stones at a gig in Brazil, on the band’s Bridges To Babylon tour.

The sight of the Poet Laureate of Rock n Roll duetting with Sir Jack Flash, the greatest rock performer of them all, fronting rock’s best live band, on the best rock song ever written, brought tears to my eyes. Almost seven minutes of uncontrollable joy: a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Even on a computer screen.

Is this video clip the highest peak of rock music? I think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTqEW2em0u4

Gerry Smith

Oh hell yes!
Bless you my son.
5th December 2006 05:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Call me a blasphemer, but I've always found "Desolation Row" a bore.

"Now, look! No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle! "

quote:
WJ wrote:

No it wasn't!!

[Edited by Gazza]
5th December 2006 06:47 AM
Kilroy Yeah Bob Dylan hates Mick Jagger like Coke Hates Pepsi. Come On Thats Bull Shoot.
5th December 2006 06:57 AM
WJ
quote:
Gazza wrote:

No it wasn't!!

Yes, it was!!
5th December 2006 07:02 AM
Gazza Dylan's never said that. He's talked about the genesis of that song several times and never indicated that its about a specific person (the subject of the song - going by the lyrics - is female, anyway).

The irony of the Stones covering a song supposedly written about Brian Jones is quite funny, though!

That now makes two songs on the same album that are 'supposedly' about Brian Jones, if you believe the 'Ballad of a thin man' crap.

[Edited by Gazza]
5th December 2006 07:05 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Call me a blasphemer, but I've always found "Desolation Row" a bore.

J'Accuse! Blasphémateur! Hérétique!

5th December 2006 07:12 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Bruno wrote:
It was so cool to watch it by TV, I was only 13 then. You liked the performance; if you can, search Gimme Shelter from this show, the best I´ve ever heard, truly thrilling.

You see the people jumping like mad and singing along? That´s why we´re the best audience in the whole world - I´d like to hear Madafaka´s opinion about that

Ya mean this one? I absolutely loved this album and this tour. And I have to agree with you about the audience. After watching this year's River Plate Stadium gig, I was in awe of the Buenos Aires crowd.

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)