ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

"Why'd you have to leave us like that, you sod!
I could think of a hundred other fuckers who should have gone instead of him!
He wasn't even on my list!"

Keith Richards. Stu's funeral - New York City 1985
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones' Tour Top Grosser (From cnn.com) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
28th November 2006 04:01 PM
glencar
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

I can just imagine the crowd at the end clapping their hands going "been traveling far and wide, wondering who's gonna be my guide." That'd be sweet. Of course, they probably couldn't pull it off live. And the crowd wouldn't know the song anyways.

"rough justice" would be a great opener.

I didn't know many Who songs when I went to that concert but I still liked them. When did the Stones start caring about what the crowd wants to the extent that they shy away from showcasing their new material?
28th November 2006 04:17 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
glencar wrote:
I didn't know many Who songs when I went to that concert but I still liked them. When did the Stones start caring about what the crowd wants to the extent that they shy away from showcasing their new material?

Bridges Tour...even Voodoo didnt showcase much of that album either....not like most bands anyway....
28th November 2006 04:18 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
glencar wrote:

If the crowd doesn't get what they want, they won't return the next time. = less tour gross, so they must care to a pretty large extend.
28th November 2006 04:22 PM
MidnightRambler The Stones spoil their audiences by making it easy on them by playing all the warhorses.

It's a never ending cycle...they'll still play the warhorses and the audience will continue to eat it up. Doing so, hinders the audience to research new songs and dig up albums so they know the OTHER songs.

If the Stones kept their set lists as sharp as a knife, creatively, fans would be exposed to obscurer songs which will allow them to listen to the OTHER songs on "Sticky Fingers" "Black and Blue" or "IORR".

But it's too late now, the Stones are not like that. They have always been more or less a greatest hits show. That's what Joe Schmuck wants and that's what he'll get.
28th November 2006 04:25 PM
Saint Sway Joe Schmuck has spoken loudly.

And he wants Forty Licks.
28th November 2006 04:30 PM
glencar But teh thing is, the Stones have several hundred songs in their catalog. Most attendees would know even some of the more obscure songs. She Was Hot isn't all that well-known but the crowd ate it up the 3 times I saw it done. I don't mind the warhorse section of the show but mixing it up with drop-in visits by Live Wit Me or Paint It Black made things much better.

And for years the ballad was either Ruby Tuesday or Angie. This band has at least 30 other ballads that could have been rotated in that slot. I think the guaranteed sameness led many of us hardcore fans to be more picky about what shows to attend. I saw 4 shows on this mini-tour. A few years ago I would have seen 6 or 7. Ironic that this mini-tour they actually did mix it up quite a bit.
28th November 2006 05:17 PM
Soldatti Still, how many songs from 40 Licks were absent during the ABB tour?

- SFM
- The Last Time
- Not Fade Away
- HYSYMB
- Mother's Little Helper
- She's A Rainbow
- It's All Over Now
- Don't Stop
- Fool To Cry
- Mixed Emotions
- Emotional Rescue

among others...
28th November 2006 05:58 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Still, how many songs from 40 Licks were absent during the ABB tour?

- SFM
- The Last Time
- Not Fade Away
- HYSYMB
- Mother's Little Helper
- She's A Rainbow
- It's All Over Now
- Don't Stop
- Fool To Cry
- Mixed Emotions
- Emotional Rescue

among others...

that reminds me... I hated the song selections for Forty Licks.

its a crime they ommitted "Dance Little Sister"
28th November 2006 06:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Bridges Tour...even Voodoo didnt showcase much of that album either....not like most bands anyway....

Not true. They were playing much more of those two albums on those tours than they have on this one. And the rest of the setlists tended to have more "non hits" and songs resurrected after long absences than the current tour as well.
28th November 2006 06:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

If the crowd doesn't get what they want, they won't return the next time. = less tour gross, so they must care to a pretty large extend.

Other bands manage to showcase their new record, rediscover their back catalogue AND play a smattering of their best known songs as crowd pleasers. And its perfectly reasonable for people who are daft enough to pay a week's wage for a concert ticket to be aware that the band theyre going to see has a new 'product' and to invest what is about 5% of the ticket price in purchasing the bloody thing before they go to see them.

Seriously - how many people are going to go to a Stones concert and leave vowing never to go back because they didnt play all the favourites? When a band has a back catalogue of 330 songs over 44 years its understandable theyre not going to play everyones favourites. Plus, most people seeing the band are not seeing them for the first time.

The greatest rock n roll band in the world should not be a personal jukebox for the lame and the stupid. By this stage the audience should have reasonably progressed from "play what we know" to "know what they play".
28th November 2006 06:39 PM
glencar Why don't the Stones sell their CD's at the shows?
28th November 2006 06:59 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

8/1/94 RFK
BRAND NEW CAR
I GO WILD
THE WORST
YOU GOT ME ROCKIN
LOVE IS STRONG
SPARKS WILL FLY
OUT OF TEARS
THAT'S BUSTIN YOUR NEW RECORD AND I LOVED IT!
28th November 2006 08:12 PM
MikeyC613
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The greatest rock n roll band in the world should not be a personal jukebox for the lame and the stupid. By this stage the audience should have reasonably progressed from "play what we know" to "know what they play".

Dead on, mate.
28th November 2006 08:37 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Why don't the Stones sell their CD's at the shows?

Stupidity

They obviously feel that the average Stones fan would be more interested in stuff like :

The Bigger Bang Toy Truck

(fear not, nostalgia fans, theres an Urban Jungle and Steel Wheels one too)

Magnet Sets

Playing cards

Jigsaw Puzzles

Ice-Cube Trays

Shoelaces

Stars & Stripes Tank & Brief Sets

and the fabulous and much sought after Some Girls Frilly Tank Top

....than actually going and doing something un rock'n'roll like buying their new record.

[Edited by Gazza]
28th November 2006 10:11 PM
glencar I've met some people who bragged about owning that stuff. It's a shame.
28th November 2006 10:21 PM
mrhipfl omg! Ice cube trays??! I haven't seen those before. I bet not even Kiss would produce something like that.
29th November 2006 11:22 AM
Saint Sway Brilliant post Gazza! You nailed it.

but the really sad part is that you've only begun to scrape the surface...
you forgot those horrible aviator sunglasses... rhinestone sandals... orange cosmetic bags.... logo socks.... car visor... head light cap... lip balm... animal print knickers... flip flops... playing cards... bobbleheads.... thongs... happy face tongue shirt... sunblock case.... mens cycling jersey... anything they could slap a football tongue on...

someone please post pics of these

quote:
Gazza wrote:

Stupidity

They obviously feel that the average Stones fan would be more interested in stuff like :

The Bigger Bang Toy Truck

(fear not, nostalgia fans, theres an Urban Jungle and Steel Wheels one too)

Magnet Sets

Playing cards

Jigsaw Puzzles

Ice-Cube Trays

Shoelaces

Stars & Stripes Tank & Brief Sets

and the fabulous and much sought after Some Girls Frilly Tank Top

....than actually going and doing something un rock'n'roll like buying their new record.

word

[Edited by Saint Sway]
29th November 2006 11:46 AM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Brilliant post Gazza! You nailed it.

but the really sad part is that you've only begun to scrape the surface...

I know, but...fuckin hell it was 1.30 am when I was copying and pasting that shit. I'd have been up all night if I hadnt chosen to be so 'selective'!
29th November 2006 11:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I've met some people who bragged about owning that stuff. It's a shame.

I hate to say it, but at times I think that there ARE some Stones fans who deserve to be shot.
29th November 2006 11:55 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
I've met some people who bragged about owning that stuff. It's a shame.

wait.... so your saying you actually met people that considered owning those shoelaces to be a feather in their cap?

did you fall over laughing or run away in fear?
5th December 2006 02:47 PM
Saint Sway Holy Fluck Gazza! Check out the horrendous xmas shit they are trying to sell!

http://www.rollingstones.com/store/mt.php

"for every $100 you spend you get a free Santa cap"

some of the ugliest & lamest shit they've tried to sell yet!
5th December 2006 04:49 PM
Soldatti What a joke, some of their stuff is great but the big part of it is silly.
5th December 2006 06:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Holy Fluck Gazza! Check out the horrendous xmas shit they are trying to sell!

http://www.rollingstones.com/store/mt.php

"for every $100 you spend you get a free Santa cap"

some of the ugliest & lamest shit they've tried to sell yet!

I stand by my comments of 29th November (see above). I would also extend those comments to whoever saw fit to demean the name and reputation of the greatest 'rock n roll' band in the world (for those of you old enough to remember when that was their prime reason for existing) by suggesting and sanctioning the sale of such a never-ending procession of sartorial diarrhoea in their name.
5th December 2006 06:20 PM
SweetVirginia Gazza, I know you are hoping to find these in your stocking this Christmas:

5th December 2006 06:24 PM
nanatod
quote:

5th December 2006 06:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Gazza, I know you are hoping to find these in your stocking this Christmas:

Please, please tell me you photoshopped that....
[Edited by Gazza]
5th December 2006 06:25 PM
SweetVirginia In the interest of full disclosure, I have one purchase from the RS store that I use ALL THE TIME:

5th December 2006 06:46 PM
glencar Now those are nice indeed! Howe do we get those?
5th December 2006 06:47 PM
glencar
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

wait.... so your saying you actually met people that considered owning those shoelaces to be a feather in their cap?

did you fall over laughing or run away in fear?

Fear, total fear. one thing I've learned about the i-net is howe many total losers are out there. But there are also many quality folks out there. It's like...real life!
5th December 2006 08:34 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
glencar wrote:
Now those are nice indeed! Howe do we get those?

They sold out at the RS store and not surprisingly those great business minds at RS.com did not restock them.

They are in the "What On Earth" catalog, though:

http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/whatonearth/Item_Rolling-Stones-Pint-Glasses-Set-of-4_AV2982.html

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)