ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New U2 Album....sucks. Return to archive
December 7th, 2004 09:59 AM
Sir Stonesalot On the strength of the sound of the U2 single "Vertigo", and the claim in the press of a return to a "guitar driven rock and roll" form...I plunked down my $8.99 and bought "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb".

It starts out with Vertigo, a song that I kinda like. It has a strong, beefy guitar sound, nice beat. It doesn't suck. But that is the only song on the CD that sounds like that. The rest of the album is dominated, AGAIN, by electronics. There's a slew of smarmy radio ballads, and the guitar sounds stop being beefy and start being tinkly. That is, IMO, a prescription for a shitty album.

This record sucks. It sucks worse than Live Licks! I can't see why I'd ever be bothered to play it again. If it is on your xmas list...scratch it off and tell your people to buy you something else. "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" is a waste of $8.99.

If U2 is the NEW "World's Greatest Band", then the Miami Dolphins are the best team in the NFL. What a fuckin' joke. Vertigo proves that U2 CAN put out a good rock and roll song....but like Aerosmith before them, they choose to make albums full of cheesy radio ballads.

Fuck them.

Oh, I almost forgot, Bono is a twat.
December 7th, 2004 10:02 AM
jb Amen SS------------------------------------>
December 7th, 2004 10:11 AM
Ten Thousand Motels <-------------------Amen SS

Now I know enough not to buy it. Not that I would have anyway. I never liked U2 but that's just me. But now I've got a good excuse....SS said it sucked and I'll take his word for it.
December 7th, 2004 10:14 AM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
<-------------------Amen SS

Now I know enough not to buy it. Not that I would have anyway. I never liked U2 but that's just me. But now I've got a good excuse....SS said it sucked and I'll take his word for it.

It will be a huge album nonetheless....they have marketed themeselves brilliantly, waited to tour while no other big names are out there, and for some reason, a lot of losers from the 80's still think of their college youth and relate to U2 in the early MTV days...we live in a time where rock is dead and this passes as "cutting edge".....
December 7th, 2004 10:40 AM
BILLWORKS
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
On the strength of the sound of the U2 single "Vertigo", and the claim in the press of a return to a "guitar driven rock and roll" form...I plunked down my $8.99 and bought "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb".

It starts out with Vertigo, a song that I kinda like. It has a strong, beefy guitar sound, nice beat. It doesn't suck. But that is the only song on the CD that sounds like that. The rest of the album is dominated, AGAIN, by electronics. There's a slew of smarmy radio ballads, and the guitar sounds stop being beefy and start being tinkly. That is, IMO, a prescription for a shitty album.

This record sucks. It sucks worse than Live Licks! I can't see why I'd ever be bothered to play it again. If it is on your xmas list...scratch it off and tell your people to buy you something else. "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" is a waste of $8.99.

If U2 is the NEW "World's Greatest Band", then the Miami Dolphins are the best team in the NFL. What a fuckin' joke. Vertigo proves that U2 CAN put out a good rock and roll song....but like Aerosmith before them, they choose to make albums full of cheesy radio ballads.

Fuck them.

GOD the almighty has spoken again. Please go playing with your Christmas toys and leave us alone
December 7th, 2004 10:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
BILLWORKS wrote:
GOD the almighty has spoken again.

December 7th, 2004 11:00 AM
Sir Stonesalot >a lot of losers from the 80's still think of their college youth and relate to U2 in the early MTV days<

You think so JB? I think it's more like, as you stated earlier, good marketing and media saturation. The hype about this record was enormous. It's gonna be huge because U2's lable WANTS it to be huge, and is willing to spend the $$$ to promote it properly.

I dunno JB, we must have been going to radically different parties back then. I remember the 80's as XTC, Dead Kennedys, The Replacements, X, and the Pixies....I don't ever recall U2 as being a big deal to me, or any of my friends.
December 7th, 2004 11:14 AM
Sir Stonesalot >GOD the almighty has spoken again. Please go playing with your Christmas toys and leave us alone<

Geez, who pissed in your cornflakes? Is your dad gonna beat up my dad? Are you looking forward to starting jr. high school next year?

If you disagree with what I say, tell us why. Instead of taking the time to create a new handle to hide behind and throw flames, why don't you grow some balls and stand up for YOUR opinion....if you even have one on the subject.

Oh, and one other thing, I'm not a christian, so it's xmas toys for me.
December 7th, 2004 11:59 AM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>GOD the almighty has spoken again. Please go playing with your Christmas toys and leave us alone<

Geez, who pissed in your cornflakes? Is your dad gonna beat up my dad? Are you looking forward to starting jr. high school next year?

If you disagree with what I say, tell us why. Instead of taking the time to create a new handle to hide behind and throw flames, why don't you grow some balls and stand up for YOUR opinion....if you even have one on the subject.

Oh, and one other thing, I'm not a christian, so it's xmas toys for me.

December 7th, 2004 01:18 PM
Factory Girl Thank you, SS. I value your opinion.

U2's last decent effert was Zooropa.

Bono is resembling Elton these days.
December 7th, 2004 01:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Bono is resembling Elton these days.<

Yeah, I don't think either one would be caught dead without those stupid sunglasses.

Elton is a twat for being such a damn diva...Bono is a twat because he's Bono.
December 7th, 2004 01:36 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>Bono is resembling Elton these days.<

Yeah, I don't think either one would be caught dead without those stupid sunglasses.

Elton is a twat for being such a damn diva...Bono is a twat because he's Bono.

December 7th, 2004 01:41 PM
TomL Thanks SS, almost picked up. Now thats 3 more drinks at a stones show.
December 7th, 2004 01:47 PM
Factory Girl TomL, get Libertines "up the Bracket" instead.

You don't need a Stones' show to throw back 3 drinks, do you???
December 7th, 2004 02:55 PM
CraigP This is my first post on this board and I must say that U2 does SUCK!
December 7th, 2004 03:45 PM
Riffhard I don't know SS? While I fully agree that the hype for the disk is overblown I still think that it's got it's strengths as well. "Miracle Drug" is a cool tune. As is "Love and Peace or Else",and "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your On". It's definetly a softer album than "Vertigo" would have lead you to believe,but there is still a redeeming quality to many of the songs. I will go on record right now as saying there will be at least three major hits on this disk. It is their most radio friendly album since Achtung Baby.

You may not dig the electronic sound of the Edge's sound,but that has dominated U2 shit for a long time now. It certainly is not as good as the Stones are,but it's better than any studio Stones album since 1997 at least! I think that it's one those records that tends to grow on you. I have been listening to it for well over a month and I like it much more now than I did when I got it.

If you are even a marginal fan of the band there is something that you will like here. If you are a hardcore fan(which I'm not)you will love it without hesitation.

Bono a twat? Yes,but he really does believe in the things he believes in. He has a genuine passion about what he feels is right and he really does try and change things that he feels are wrong,ie;third world debt,etc. He talks the talk,but nobody could ever accuse him of not walking the walk as well. All that social work and his oh so earnest lyrics has made him come across as a Johnny Do-Good. Which dosen't really endear him to the piss and vinegar rock and roll fans that the Stones appeal to. Whatever though,I like the Beatles too!

Don't tell Josh that last part.

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]
December 7th, 2004 04:09 PM
Joey <---------- It will be a huge album nonetheless....they have marketed themeselves ( sic ) brilliantly, waited to tour while no other big names are out there, and for some reason, a lot of losers from the 80's still think of their college youth and relate to U2 in the early MTV days...we live in a time where rock is dead and this passes as "cutting edge".....
December 7th, 2004 04:14 PM
gypsy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
On the strength of the sound of the U2 single "Vertigo", and the claim in the press of a return to a "guitar driven rock and roll" form...I plunked down my $8.99 and bought "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb".

Fuck them.

I can't believe you actually bought it. Did you do it just to annoy your wife?
December 7th, 2004 06:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot >"Miracle Drug" is a cool tune. As is "Love and Peace or Else",and "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your On".<

If you say so. Those songs sounded like fluffy adult contemporary crap to me. If you like that sort of thing, more power to ya. I prefer rock and roll.

>It's definetly a softer album than "Vertigo" would have lead you to believe<

Agreed. One of the many reasons why I hate it.

>I will go on record right now as saying there will be at least three major hits on this disk. It is their most radio friendly album since Achtung Baby.<

And that makes it a good record? I guess you forgot that I can't stomach commercial radio drivel...and that is exactly what this tripe is that U2 is pushing. I understand you make your living from commercial radio, I mean no offense to you. But I like rock and roll music. U2's new album was billed as rock and roll. It's not. It has as much to do with rock and roll as Brittany Spears or Nelly or Usher. It's bullshit, and I don't like it.

>You may not dig the electronic sound of the Edge's sound,but that has dominated U2 shit for a long time now.<

U2 shit. Good description. I realize that this is the sound that The Edge actually wants. Good for him. Unfortunately, I like guitars to sound like guitars, not like a damn tinny synth. WHERE'S THE MOTHERFUCKIN' BEEF!?! It also explains why I haven't cared much about U2 in a very long time now.

>I think that it's one those records that tends to grow on you. I have been listening to it for well over a month and I like it much more now than I did when I got it.<

Too late, I already traded it in on something I might actually listen to again some day.

>If you are even a marginal fan of the band there is something that you will like here.<

I do not hate U2. I actually like some of their songs. Heck, I like "Vertigo". I found nothing else to like on this album though. Sorry.

>If you are a hardcore fan(which I'm not)you will love it without hesitation.<

Probably very true. Good for them.

>Bono a twat?<

Did I stutter?

>Yes,but he really does believe in the things he believes in. He has a genuine passion about what he feels is right and he really does try and change things that he feels are wrong,ie;third world debt,etc. He talks the talk,but nobody could ever accuse him of not walking the walk as well.<

Is that so? It's pretty easy for him to sit in one of his several multimillion dollar dwellings pontificating about how our banks should forgive billions of dollars in debt....when it's not his money!!! You think he walks the walk??? How many poverty stricken families has he moved into his many homes across the globe? Why hasn't he purchased some 3rd world debt and forgiven it himself??? Yeah, he talks a lot, but let's see him LIVE it. He's a fuckin' rich rock star, and doing some charity work and glad handing politicians is NOT "walking the walk". If he wants to "walk the walk" he should join the fucking Peace Corps, move to the fucking wasteland that is Africa, and get his finely manicured hands dirty. That would impress the hell out of me.

>All that social work and his oh so earnest lyrics has made him come across as a Johnny Do-Good. Which dosen't really endear him to the piss and vinegar rock and roll fans that the Stones appeal to.<

I have nothing against people who want to do good. But other than never missing a photo op and yapping about stuff that has nothing to do with him...exactly what good does the guy do? There are plenty of famous faces like him that do plenty of fund raising. I fail to see what the big deal is.

Bono is a twat.

>Whatever though,I like the Beatles too!<

Me too.

>Don't tell Josh that last part.<

Why? I like the Beatles, and I don't care who knows it. Wear your Beatle boots proudly. If Josh has a problem with that then he can go fuck himself. You got nothing to be ashamed of Riffy.

December 7th, 2004 07:02 PM
Riffhard LOL! So let me get this right. You don't like the new U2 disk right? Got it. Bono is twat right? Got it.

I hear ya SS. I'm more of a piss and vinegar rock and roller myself,but I never really expected that from U2 anyway. You know though I always thought "She's Leaving Home" by the Beatles was a brilliant song and that is by no means a piss and vinegar rock and roll song.

Different strokes I guess. No biggie.

Riffhard
December 7th, 2004 07:14 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

>It's definetly a softer album than "Vertigo" would have lead you to believe<

Agreed. One of the many reasons why I hate it.

Boy, isn't that the truth. When I first heard Vertigo I was taken aback -- I normally avoid these guys like the plague and was taken by surprise with that song -- I admit the hype and that track's initial had me wondering if they hadn't pulled out an 11th hour Who's Next like they were claiming. An actual listen through the actual album, however, has led me to feel otherwise. I don't even think it will shift the units, befriend the radio, or have the impact All That You Leave Behind did.

quote:

>I think that it's one those records that tends to grow on you. I have been listening to it for well over a month and I like it much more now than I did when I got it.<

Too late, I already traded it in on something I might actually listen to again some day.

Yeah, I sold my promo. If it turns out I need it again copies will be cheap and plentiful. The last one I actually didn't bother with for months until that track "Elevation" snuck up on me because one of the members of She Bang was so obsessed with it. Definitely learned to respect that album eventually, although it never really "mattered" to me. So who knows, it might be a grower, but the nice thing about U2 albums is that since they're shoved down your throat, if you initial impression is wrong, what's the big deal?

quote:

Why? I like the Beatles, and I don't care who knows it. Wear your Beatle boots proudly. If Josh has a problem with that then he can go fuck himself. You got nothing to be ashamed of Riffy.

As the year ends I am reminded of the first official song I heard in 2004. We were at a party that was dj'd by one of those guys that just plays electronica and grooves for hours on end, really boring. We were there because it was a post-Rebelles performance "celebration", and it had turned out to be a really weird gig (opening for Southern Culture, beezare!). Anyway, Rebelles parties always have really good mushroom candy around, but one can only stomach dull music for so long, so Trixie and I headed home. We got to the car and the station I dj for, which at the time was using computer automation exclusively, welcomed us into 2004 with "Tomorrow Never Knows". Riding a very gentle mushroom buzz but otherwise fairly exhausted, TNK sounded like a massive, wonderful blessing and its strange wisdom spoke loud and clear. It's been a weird year, but I haven't forgot that it started with the Beatles.

Anyway, don't know why I felt the need to tell that story at this moment, but this thread reminded me of it for some reason.

Hey SS, have you heard that A-Bones double CD yet? Daddy Wants a Cold Beer and other million sellers? Holy shit, dude, that thing is an absolute joy.

Daddy wants a cold beer NOW!

December 7th, 2004 07:18 PM
Poplar
quote:
TomL wrote:
Thanks SS, almost picked up. Now thats 3 more drinks at a stones show.

Ya can't listen to it for yourself, and make up your own mind? Geez, your music collection must be AWESOME!

December 7th, 2004 07:49 PM
glencar I must admit that I bought this & I've made a copy for one of our esteemed posters (it's coming!) but I haven't listened myself yet. Part of it is making the time & part is hearing that it's mostly balladeering. Where's that good ol' R&R?
December 7th, 2004 08:03 PM
not bound to please

Haven't heard it yet - but I like Bono...in spite of himself...

Fuck you!
December 7th, 2004 08:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Hey SS, have you heard that A-Bones double CD yet? Daddy Wants a Cold Beer and other million sellers? Holy shit, dude, that thing is an absolute joy.<

Oooooooooo I love the A-Bones......no I don't have that one....yet. Maybe I'll get someone to get it for me for xmas. You stockin' it?

I was gonna reply to Riffy, but you pretty much summed it up for me. I too read the claims of a return to rock n roll form, heard those claims sunstantiated by Vertigo, and was let down when I heard with my own ears how lame the rest of the album was.

NBTP....that's the spirit.
December 7th, 2004 09:01 PM
gypsy I bet your wife likes the entire album, huh, SS?
December 7th, 2004 09:03 PM
Nasty Habits I'm out of it at the moment -- for some reason it is doing well this season. I'll have some more soon. Just tell that special whoever to buy it direct from NortonRecords.com, though -- Screw the middle man no matter who he may be.

It's a singles collection and the A-Bones have always been at their best (recorded) on singles -- their over the top high/low concept rock and roll ridiculousness has always worked better in the 7" medium than on full length, but assembling all of their 7" in one place is nothing but a freakin' blast blast blast from beginning to end - sheer unadulterated rock and roll stupidity reeking of love for the form that makes U2 look like a bunch of no fun ass jacks. That's my real problem with most U2. Just no damn fun to listen to. When was the last time a U2 album made you laugh? I know one thing -- if I ain't laughin' much during an album it's probably not good rock and roll. For the A-Bones it doesn't matter too much if it's Bo Diddley or Link Wray or the Velvet Underground or freakin' Rock the Boat by freakin' Hues Corporation - there is a way to reduce it down to its essential rock and roll wham and that is what the A-Bones have a direct connection to.

There's also a bunch of their classic cuts backing up forgotten rock "pioneers" like Sun Rockabilly also ran Johnny Powers and Flamin Groovie front man Roy Loney. Unfortunately their version of "Fuckin' Andrew" they released earlier this year is not included. Ah well, vinyl people still come out on top.

December 7th, 2004 09:49 PM
Soldatti I like the album, but is far from his best (Atchung Baby)
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood