ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rollins goes Hollywood (nsc) Return to archive
December 6th, 2004 09:26 PM
Bloozehound This could be interesting:

Rollins reviews movies
Rocker says every film genre will get fair shake

By JOE NEUMAIER

New York Daily News
Posted: Dec. 2, 2004

The days of the sweater-clad, thumb-ranking, warm-and-fuzzy TV film critic may be at an end: Rocker Henry Rollins is in the movie house.

The front man for 1980s punk band Black Flag, radio talker, spoken-word artist and self-proclaimed "angry man" now hosts his own movie review program, "Henry's Film Corner," airing the first Saturday of every month at 11 p.m. on the Independent Film Channel (available in the Milwaukee area on Time Warner's digital cable tier).

The first show airs Saturday.

True to his contrarian ways, Rollins - who has acted in such films as "Heat" and "Bad Boys II" - proclaims his love for art-house dramas and such foreign directors as Akira Kurosawa and Werner Herzog before rhapsodizing about "Die Hard" and "Predator."

"Every genre will get a fair shake on my show," Rollins said. "I love big blow-'em-up films. Yet I want to say to young people, 'Sure, go watch all your action films, get yer ya-yas out. But leave time for 'Cool Hand Luke' and 'The Godfather.' If it's junk into your mind, then it's junk out. If all kids do is watch 'Dumb and Dumber,' then they, too, will be dumb and dumber."

In addition to such staples of review shows as discussions of recent blockbusters and DVD choices, "Henry's Film Corner" will include an examination of political and social issues in films, and "Rollins' Revenge," a segment in which no movie is safe from the host's pent-up wrath.

Rollins, wearing a black T-shirt, also will discuss cinema with celebrity guests and everyday folks. In the first show, he talks with his mailman, Raoul, about the similarities between the Tom Cruise epic "The Last Samurai" and Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai."

"Hollywood wants guys like Raoul to shut up and consume, so they can feed him another turgid, overdone, CGI-filled piece of junk. But I want to hear Raoul's thoughts," said Rollins, who cites "Apocalypse Now" as his favorite movie.

"Reviewing can be an art, and if Hollywood listens to the right critics, maybe their films can be better. I'm approaching my show as a guy who loves movies," he said. "As a fan, I'll respect a film enough to care when it's bad. But if a film angers me, I'll torch it."
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood