ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: If Woody keels over and dies... Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 6th, 2004 02:19 AM
Booty ...on the eve of the '05 tour (which you know is gonna take place, with or without new material which they never play much of anyway, da bastids), who should replace him, at least temporarily?
And no, hacks like Clapton an Beck need not apply.
Ya kwon who'd be a lot of fun to see/hear with da boys?
Why Sugar Miami Little Steven Sylvio Van Zant, dats who!

or Slim Dunlap, he'd be a lot cheaper yup.
Disgust.
I mean discuss.
[Edited by Booty]
December 6th, 2004 02:41 AM
FotiniD Are you really for REAL? Why don't you crawl back to the hole you came out of and leave us all alone, you sick bastard?

Fuck the hell off!!

December 6th, 2004 02:41 AM
gypsy Mick Taylor
December 6th, 2004 03:16 AM
Booty
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Mick Taylor

good answer yup!
December 6th, 2004 03:17 AM
Booty
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Are you really for REAL? Why don't you crawl back to the hole you came out of and leave us all alone, you sick bastard?

Fuck the hell off!!

what?
December 6th, 2004 03:23 AM
L&A Morbid asshole.
December 6th, 2004 03:31 AM
Booty erm... the image of Ronnie dying is another way of saying that he absolutely CANT make the gig; and considering how tough he actually is,physically, it might take something like dying to keep him off the road; the POINT is: who would be a complementry guitarist with the Stones. Now answer the qestion.

Dyots.
December 6th, 2004 03:38 AM
Prodigal Son I think they might have delayed the tour because Ronnie has been a Stone for so long. Not sure a replacement could be found quick enough. I mean, who today could be a great compliment to Keith that's not half the age of the Stones?
And the way you phrased the question was kind of like it was a strong possibility that Woody would keel over and die. Almost in exuberant fashion, you detailed the process of picking Ronnie's replacement right away. This would not be the same as when Entwistle bit the bullet. You can put any bass player with Daltrey/Townshend and it would work okay. Entwistle, if he had died in the band's prime like when Moonie passed, it would've been a bigger blow. But Woody is a guitarist and Keith needs a sparring buddy. Would he accept flashy polar opposite Mick T. again? I would hope, but then again I wouldn't hope for any situation such as that to arise.
BTW, a question for you. Why did you write disgust, and then say, oops I mean discuss. You couldn't correct that using your keyboard or the editing process. You must've meant to say, disgust because you knew that's what people would react with.
December 6th, 2004 04:07 AM
Booty well at least you understood the point of the thread, PS.
Wyman was nearly replaced last minute for the '81 tour (by Busta Cherry Jones), Woody was nearly replaced for the Voodoo Lounge tour due to extreme alcohol use (by Waddy Wachtel).To say "on the eve of a tour" does not imply literally the night before. Keef is a player, he plays great with a lot of people, including Taylor (30 years ago, at least), he can do the "ancient form of weaving" thing with Woody, and he can do the more straight forward lead/rhythm deliniation as with Taylor and Waddy.I also think they'd like a cat with some personality (ala Woody- hence my recomending Van Zant. The question was a musical one only.
I have loved the Stones since 1969, own everything that has been officially released (listen to it too) (oh- haven't picked up 'Live Licks' yet), I've worked for them twice (IATSE Local 13, '97; and Motion Picture Mechanics Local 490, '94- where I met Woody (he gave me a Guiness- while I was working! Oh, and he had his dog there too!) and Keef.
Anything you may have read into my post that seemed to imply that I somehow desire or think that Ron Wood is going to die soon indicates, to me, a MORBID thought process.
As for the 'disgust/discuss' thing- that's called humor; absurdism; the tone was meant to be playful and silly, not whatever creepy shit a couple people are thinking.
Gosh, this joint seems like a lot of fun.
December 6th, 2004 04:47 AM
Booty Oh and by the way- as we all know, Charlie recently had throat cancer; I love Charlie more than any other Stone; he got me into music- I've been drumming semi-professionaly for 23 years, and most of my ideas on how to approach my instrument (as a player of r n'b derived rock n' roll music- my forte), have come from him. I admire the guy too,in a way which I can't really say I admire the other guys.
Now- if Charlie became too ill (or, God forbid, died)to work with the band, the band MIGHT not call it quits: they didn't when Brian died, they didn't when Mick Taylor quit,they didn't when Stu died ("the soul of this band", said Keith of Stu), they didn't when Wyman quit, and Bill was, arguably, as vital to the Stones sound as Charlie (God bless Daryl Jones- but that's another thread!).
So what I'm hearing, at least from Prodigal Son, who at least took the time and had the grace to elaborate on what he felt my faux pas was, is that it is somehow taboo here to consider, thoughtfully, other musicians who might be compatible with the remainder of the Rolling Stones, as a working band (i.e. I thought, at the time, that Mick Ronson, who was asked to join after Taylor quit- would have been a more interesting player than Woody, even though I loved the Faces- insomuch as I reckoned Ronsons approach would be more in line with Taylors and what the Stones had been doing guitar-wise since '69; I also felt, and still feel, that Jeff Beck , who was also considered, would have been an awful choice, no matter that he's a fine musician).
Was my initial post really that upsetting to people?
I think it was pretty straight forward: who could do the fucking gig if Woody wouldn't/couldn't? (I wouldn't hypothesize about Keith in the same fashion, because obviously the band would be over then).
So what's the problem?
December 6th, 2004 05:28 AM
FotiniD You know what, I'm sick and tired, just sick and tired of people going off at Woody: what if he drinks too much, what if he stumbles on stage, what if he keels over and dies.

Do you understand you're talking about a human here or what? Am I the one with the morbid thinking or you raising a subject that has been discussed to death (ha, the morbid theme) and putting a title like "what if he keels over and dies"? What on earth?!
December 6th, 2004 05:50 AM
Booty
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
You know what, I'm sick and tired, just sick and tired of people going off at Woody: what if he drinks too much, what if he stumbles on stage, what if he keels over and dies.

Do you understand you're talking about a human here or what? Am I the one with the morbid thinking or you raising a subject that has been discussed to death (ha, the morbid theme) and putting a title like "what if he keels over and dies"? What on earth?!

look buddy- I just fucking got here; I know fuck all about what you or any other shitheads have been saying about Woody and how much he does or doesn't drink; I've met the dude and worked with him and he's complete gent, acted like just another tech on the video set. You got a major goddamn malfunction pal, he ain't your brother or boyfriend, quit being such a precious poofer about someone you don't know, and considering what a funny fucker he is he wouldn't like you anyway.
YOU OWE ME AN APOLOGY.
December 6th, 2004 05:56 AM
Jumacfly this is the most stoopid thread ever...if my ant gots balls, must I call her uncle??

that sucks!!!
December 6th, 2004 06:05 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Booty wrote:

look buddy- I just fucking got here; I know fuck all about what you or any other shitheads have been saying about Woody and how much he does or doesn't drink; I've met the dude and worked with him and he's complete gent, acted like just another tech on the video set. You got a major goddamn malfunction pal, he ain't your brother or boyfriend, quit being such a precious poofer about someone you don't know, and considering what a funny fucker he is he wouldn't like you anyway.
YOU OWE ME AN APOLOGY.

Look Booty, trust me, it's not among my intentions to start a fight with ANYONE here, all the more so with a newbie, alright? I may have come off a little too strong - and that's the only reason I owe you an apology - but life has been treating me shit these past few days. It's not an excuse, but whatever man, whatever.

What I'm trying to say though (and why I don't get all your lecturing about "he's not your boyfriend, I know him better, he wouldn't like you" and all that shit) IS that Woody's a human, buddy, and I don't want any human dying - and certainly a damn member of the band I love. And I'm up to my neck with threads with "what if's" about Woody. They make no sense. Do you have discussions like this in your daily life? What if X or Y died?

And no, you DID NOT sound funny, trust me.

Now, you owe the whole board an apology, how about that.
December 6th, 2004 06:05 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
this is the most stoopid thread ever...if my ant gots balls, must I call her uncle??

that sucks!!!

Exactly what I was thinking Ju. Sick and tired of the "what if's".
December 6th, 2004 06:28 AM
headshrinker woody's shit. nice bloke or not. just watch four flicks. theres some moments where he's not even playing anything, and is more interested in waving at the crowd. i'd do anything to have taylor back in the band, but i wouldn't wish death on anyone.
December 6th, 2004 06:30 AM
Booty
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Look Booty, trust me, it's not among my intentions to start a fight with ANYONE here, all the more so with a newbie, alright? I may have come off a little too strong - and that's the only reason I owe you an apology - but life has been treating me shit these past few days. It's not an excuse, but whatever man, whatever.

What I'm trying to say though (and why I don't get all your lecturing about "he's not your boyfriend, I know him better, he wouldn't like you" and all that shit) IS that Woody's a human, buddy, and I don't want any human dying - and certainly a damn member of the band I love. And I'm up to my neck with threads with "what if's" about Woody. They make no sense. Do you have discussions like this in your daily life? What if X or Y died?

And no, you DID NOT sound funny, trust me.

Now, you owe the whole board an apology, how about that.

Sorry about how life is going for you, man, there's a lot a that going around, and I hear ya. The thread had NOTHING to do with anyones personal life, including Woodys- IT WAS A MUSICAL POINT-OF-VEIW HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION.
And Woody dying WASN"T THE POINT. The point was if he were replaced, which has come close to happening.
On Clash board a while back some started a thread about who could possibly replace Joe Strummer, who is dead. Replace Joe Strummer! The thread went on for like 5 pages, was mighty interesting,these were all people who dearly loved Joe and his work (as I do), and NO ONE cared in the least or thought it was disrespectful at all. A couple peeps just said 'ahh, you could never replace Joe'. True enough. But it was A MUSICAL QUESTION.
The point of bringing up my brief personal experience with him was to indicate that I've engaged him as a regular, normal HUMAN BEING (albeit a very funny and gracious one).
So: do unto others in cyber space as you would have them do unto you if they were standing in front of you.
I find your reaction to this thread peculiar, to say the least. If it upset you so, you could have PM'd me to state your feelings.
I owe no one here an apology.
December 6th, 2004 06:33 AM
FotiniD Ok, maybe I'm the weirdo here, being upset by reading a thread named "what if Woody keels over and dies". Yes, perhaps I don't have that exquisite sense of humour or I'm not in the right mental state of mind to appreciate it, whatever.

Let's just agree to disagree Booty.
December 6th, 2004 06:40 AM
Booty
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Ok, maybe I'm the weirdo here, being upset by reading a thread named "what if Woody keels over and dies". Yes, perhaps I don't have that exquisite sense of humour or I'm not in the right mental state of mind to appreciate it, whatever.

Let's just agree to disagree Booty.

No problem mate; I will fuck off now.
But I reckon one could find many far more offensive thread titles than this (and this one was NOT intended to be offensive in the least).
And if the Administrator or a moderator deems it to be offensive- simple: delete it.
December 6th, 2004 08:27 AM
gimmekeef Joy to the World!.......
December 6th, 2004 08:50 AM
Monkey Woman Fotini, dear girl, don't lose any sleep over this sick-o! This "booty" person is just a jerk of a troll who comes here to rattle a few chains and then play innocent. It's so obvious: when you take him/her to task for being morbid and upsetting the fans here, he/she brushes off any responsability and tries to make it your fault for being upset. And how cute, that big baby then ask the moderators to delete the thread if they think it's offensive. Of course, it's offensive! And you, Ju and myself are perfectly within our rights to voice our discontent about it! Last time I chekced, this was not the kind of board where the posters leave their responsibilty at the door. If one post something disgusting and offensive to others, well, they'd better be prepared to receive a few high-temperature reactions across the face...
December 6th, 2004 08:55 AM
FotiniD Thanks Monkey Woman
December 6th, 2004 09:38 AM
Bruno Stone Stupid thread. If Ronnie die... If you die, if i die, rubbish.

More stupid than my idea about a Chiba Face thread.
December 6th, 2004 09:42 AM
Joey

Mick Taylor !
December 6th, 2004 12:08 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
headshrinker wrote:
woody's shit. nice bloke or not. just watch four flicks. theres some moments where he's not even playing anything, and is more interested in waving at the crowd.

You think that Ronnie's like that because that's his preference? When Ronnie plays live with the Stones, he knows his limits.

You really think that Keith would let Ronnie play the way he can every time they are on stage together? Keith would never allow it.
December 6th, 2004 12:23 PM
Monkey Woman A chiba face thread is better than a "if Woody dies" any day!
December 6th, 2004 12:25 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

You think that Ronnie's like that because that's his preference? When Ronnie plays live with the Stones, he knows his limits.

You really think that Keith would let Ronnie play the way he can every time they are on stage together? Keith would never allow it.

I wish that were the case! But I think it's highly doubtful that Keith is worried about being upstaged by Ronnie. In fact it's probably just the opposite - Keith tired of having to cover Ronnie's ass and not having the chops to do it anymore.
December 6th, 2004 12:29 PM
Booty
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Fotini, dear girl, don't lose any sleep over this sick-o! This "booty" person is just a jerk of a troll who comes here to rattle a few chains and then play innocent. It's so obvious: when you take him/her to task for being morbid and upsetting the fans here, he/she brushes off any responsability and tries to make it your fault for being upset. And how cute, that big baby then ask the moderators to delete the thread if they think it's offensive. Of course, it's offensive! And you, Ju and myself are perfectly within our rights to voice our discontent about it! Last time I chekced, this was not the kind of board where the posters leave their responsibilty at the door. If one post something disgusting and offensive to others, well, they'd better be prepared to receive a few high-temperature reactions across the face...

Please stop now...
there is nothing to be upset about, noone was trying to upset anyone, read the thread. It's good to stick up for your friends, but noone needs defending here;if you didn't like my wording or topic, that's fair; but it surely doesn't merit an attack, this is a Stones message board, people talk about Stones related stuff- I can't imagine how Rolling Stones fans can get so worked up by the idea that the band might sometime need a new guitar player; I regret having posted it, and I regret coming here, viciousness is ok here I guess.
December 6th, 2004 02:46 PM
stones-addict
quote:
Booty wrote:
...on the eve of the '05 tour (which you know is gonna take place, with or without new material which they never play much of anyway, da bastids), who should replace him, at least temporarily?
And no, hacks like Clapton an Beck need not apply.
Ya kwon who'd be a lot of fun to see/hear with da boys?
Why Sugar Miami Little Steven Sylvio Van Zant, dats who!

or Slim Dunlap, he'd be a lot cheaper yup.
Disgust.
I mean discuss.
[Edited by Booty]

I have a greater fear of Keef being unable to play due to his arthritis. Maybe we should be discussing his replacement? Oh, and Chuck Leavell is NOT an acceptable answer... They've already tried that, remember?
December 6th, 2004 04:18 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
stones-addict wrote:
I have a greater fear of Keef being unable to play due to his arthritis.

Bingo!
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood