ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Philly 7/20 & 21 '72 Return to archive
December 5th, 2004 11:32 PM
Booty
I gots 7 tracks,superb release quality,superbad playing, these shows were part of the planned live album from that tour.
Anybody got either full show?
December 6th, 2004 02:27 AM
Booty well?
December 6th, 2004 07:43 AM
Gazza they did 3 shows over those 2 days (two on the 21st)

I think I have all three and at least one is a soundboard. I'd need to check.
December 6th, 2004 04:22 PM
TornAndFrayed None of the circulating Philly 72 soundboard recordings is complete. This is what�s out there:

07-20-72
These tracks (minus Rocks Off which seems to be from a different SBD source) were prepared for the live album. This is pretty obvious since the sound is excellent and TD, SV and ADTL have vocal overdubs.
This is IMO the best performance out of the three Philly shows. Sound quality is excellent just like an official release.
- Brown Sugar
- Bitch
- Rocks Off
- Gimme Shelter
- Tumbling Dice
- Sweet Virginia
- All Down The Line
- Rip This Joint
- Bye Bye Johnny (not certain if this really is from this show)
- Uptight/Satisfaction

07-21-72 (1st)
Widely circulating SBD source but not as good sounding as the material from the 20th. The sound is distant, sterile and lacking atmosphere. Probably a dub from a monitor or FOH mix.
Average (and IMO overrated) performance. The band is warming up for the evening show.
- Brown Sugar
- Bitch
- Rocks Off
- Gimme Shelter
- Happy
- Tumbling Dice
- Love In Vain
- Sweet Virginia
- You Can�t Always Get What You Want
- All Down The Line

07-21-72 (2nd)
Another incomplete SBD source, the worst sounding out of the three Philly recordings. Sounds distant, muffled and sterile. Great performance but not as good as the 20th.
- Happy
- Tumbling Dice
- Love In Vain
- Sweet Virginia
- You Can�t Always Get What You Want
- All Down The Line
- Bye Bye Johnny
- Rip This Joint
- Jumpin� Jack Flash
- Street Fighting Man
- Uptight/Satisfaction

Get Rattlesnake�s Touring Party 7CD set and you�ll have ALL of these in the best sounding quality. Stay away from the lousy "Philadelphia Special" (Swingin�Pig) and "Unreleased Decca Live Album" (I don�t know which label this is from) CDs.

Complete audience sources for 07-20-72 and 07-21-72 (2nd) are circulating. Unfortunately both (especially the latter which is one of the worst sounding tapes I have EVER heard) sound rather poor.

TORNANDFRAYED
www.stp1972.de.vu

[Edited by TornAndFrayed]
December 7th, 2004 12:08 AM
jpenn11 Question for T&F: is Stones Touring Party also better than Dueces Still Wild?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood