ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mixed Emotions Return to archive
December 3rd, 2004 12:34 PM
MikeyC613 How good is Mick's voice on that song? I get the feeling they were returning as a band and Mick was trying to out- Bono Bono on that one. He grabs it by the scruff of the neck though.
December 3rd, 2004 08:22 PM
Soldatti I still hear Dirty Work influence on Mick's voice. The song was ok in 1989, but it seems a boring 80's oldie now.
December 4th, 2004 12:42 PM
Bruno Stone The Mixed Emotions video is one of the best ones, to me. Love that studio scenes. And this song remembers me that scene in 25x5, when Keith is showing Mick how the song goes, to me that is beautiful.......
December 4th, 2004 02:57 PM
Saint Sway seems like both "Mixed Emotions" and "Dont Stop" suffer from the same thing: they got too slicked up in production

seems like the earlier versions of the songs had a more rootsy and country feel to them. And Keith gave in to Sir Mick duriing the mix and let the songs get to clean and slick sounding

both songs are catchy but they would of been better quality songs if they rocked a bit more. The band could of captured that if they just let loose a little and rocked out and let the songs get a little more juiced up and sloppy sounding

no one likes a clean sounding Stones song. It just defeats the whole purpose of why you listen to the Stones. The Stones are pub music. MIck needs to realize this and stop trying to make the songs sound VH1 friendly
December 4th, 2004 07:13 PM
Mel Belli Mick and Clifford turned "Mixed Emotions" into a "Primitive Cool" leftover, as they did elsewhere on "Steel Wheels" ("Terrifying" - bleh!). The bridge of "Hearts for Sale" ("I'm losin' my will-power...") makes me want to hurl.

I think I'm alone on this board in liking "Blinded By Love."
[Edited by Mel Belli]
December 4th, 2004 10:48 PM
iluvmickjagger07 loved his blue and yellow outfit. he looks really younge in that video compared to the other stones.
December 4th, 2004 11:08 PM
steel wls Love it. It was their comeback video. I love Mick in the sweatpants.
December 4th, 2004 11:13 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
seems like both "Mixed Emotions" and "Dont Stop" suffer from the same thing: they got too slicked up in production

that seems to be a major problem with just about everything they've done since 1983, way too slicked up in production, good rock n roll is best served raw
December 5th, 2004 08:31 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
seems like both "Mixed Emotions" and "Dont Stop" suffer from the same thing: they got too slicked up in production

It's true, but Don't Stop is most "Rolling Stones". I didn't like it at the first listen(s) but the song grown on me, Mixed Emotions not.
December 6th, 2004 12:30 AM
Booty 'Emotions' be a beautiful tune and does rock qute nicely, but yer,the mix is a little shiny; 'Don't Stop' has a perfect mix and sound,very 'Voodoo Lounge' murky (uhm,cept not as murky)
December 6th, 2004 01:25 AM
corgi37 I remember the day i bought SW. It was such a joyous day, because only a year before, it liked like there would be no more Stones. When Jagger was in Oz for his solo tour, he was really agro towards any mention of Keith or the Stones.

But, the biggest deal of all (which seems so corny and funny now) was SW was recorded in DDD. Remember that? It was an all digital process. There first. Does anyone remember the little codes on cd's back in those days? All the old albums put onto cd were of course aad (with a little disclaimer saying some imperfections were due to the analogue systems). I was so rapt that the Stones went DDD. I mean, Aerosmith were ADD. Or, was it DAD?

ANyway, i couldnt stop playing SW. Then, a tour! YEs, i was finally going to see them!

Bzzzt. Bar-bow. Nup. The fuckers didnt tour here! I mean, i was furious!

Anyway, i always felt Mixed Emotions was the wrong choice of 1st single. I always felt Rock and a hard place was a better choice. Still do. But, both songs are pretty lame. They have dated so badly. The one thing i like about Mixed Emotions is the chord progression. Sounds cool.

P.S. I just love the bit in 25 x 5 where Keith is playing the song to Mick, and humming along, and Mick goes. "YEah, we need another chord".
KEITH: "An F.
MICK: "YEah, we need an F.

I'm being mean here, but its like;
"What the fuck do you know, Jagger? Just work out your moves and outfits".

hahahahaha.

P.S. Hearts for sale is great. Well, most of it. That opening riff sounds just so dirty.
December 6th, 2004 01:25 AM
corgi37 As in dirty in a DDD kinda way.

LOL.
December 6th, 2004 01:41 AM
Booty yer I think Jagger actually is the tuneful and catchy part of the songwriting equation (the Winos were great but don't you think there was a little something missing in the 'catchy' dept.?)
The SONG sounds like it coulda come from the '69 Olympic sessions, I think the production and mix are what bug most peeps yup.
December 6th, 2004 08:42 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
P.S. I just love the bit in 25 x 5 where Keith is playing the song to Mick, and humming along, and Mick goes. "YEah, we need another chord".
KEITH: "An F.
MICK: "YEah, we need an F.

A magic moment...
I want to see that on the new album sessions and no solo songs mixed at the end of the sessions.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood