ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Worst Acts Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
December 2nd, 2004 02:42 PM
Jair
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
WORST ACTS: ALL RAP ACTS!!!

Gimme, you should exclude at least two rap names:
De La Soul
A Tribe Called Quest.

Both are between the finest music ever made in USA.
Believe me, if you start to listen them, you'll dont stop anymore.

Now, Dr Dre, Eminem and Snoop...WTF, every time they
appears more and more in Hollywood movies!!!

December 2nd, 2004 03:32 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Hey NBTP: Oooh, baby baby, I loves it when you post on topic!

I will grant you Honky Chateau and Madman Across the Water without any need for litigation . . .

I don't know what came over me!

Joey - what did you have for lunch? I had warmed up Trader Joe's Athenian pizza...

December 2nd, 2004 04:06 PM
Joey
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

I don't know what came over me!

Joey - what did you have for lunch? I had warmed up Trader Joe's Athenian pizza...

Pasta my Lambies ! .....................Pasta !

...are we still on for " Ruth's Chris " Saturday Evening in the Plaza Area of Kansas City ?!?! -- What Say ya 7:00 PM CDT ( meet you in the bar ) ?!?! They have got a filet mignon just a " sizzling " for ya's --

W- W- W- W- What ?!?! ..............Oh , sure ! :

http://www.imgag.com/product/full/ap/3067907/graphic1.swf

Cassie ! �
December 2nd, 2004 04:17 PM
F505 hi Joey and Lambchop!
December 2nd, 2004 04:17 PM
Back Street Girl Back Street Girl wrote:

1. Beatles
2. Paul McCartney
3. Elton John
4. Kiss
5. Cliff Richard
6. Bon Jovi
7. Willie Nelson
8. David Coverdale
9. Celine Dion
10.Bruce Springsteen

quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
Don't worry, rockstarbrian, just 'cause one fukkin idiot thinks Willie sucks doesn't mean we all agree with her.

If you are refering to me you cuntry loving halfwit,then go and shove your fiddle up your fucking arse.

miss angry UK.

[Edited by Back Street Girl]
December 2nd, 2004 04:21 PM
Gazza Bloody hell...

and I was going to give you shit about your no.10 choice...

on second thoughts, I'll say nowt...
[Edited by Gazza]
December 2nd, 2004 04:27 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
hi Joey and Lambchop!

F505 .....................................

I am very tired !

I awakened at four in the morning farting like crazy and have had severe diarrhea throughout the morning / afternoon . I have been wiping myself with wet, balled up pieces of toilet paper and am STILL all messy back there today. I even ended up burning my ass a little because the water I used to wet the toilet paper was too hot! I constantly give thanks to all the pictures of naked women that I post on the back of the bathroom door whilst dumping .

Hasbro ! �

JJJJJJJJJJACKY ! �
[Edited by Joey]
December 2nd, 2004 04:29 PM
Back Street Girl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Bloody hell...

and I was going to give you shit about your no.10 choice...

on second thoughts, I'll say nowt...
[Edited by Gazza]

LOL.....Hi Gazza,Im not always like that,I just don't like being called a fucking idiot.
December 2nd, 2004 05:11 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

>See what I mean?

yeah nasty i know exactly what you mean

>Hey NBTP: Oooh, baby baby, I loves it when you post on topic!

again, yeah, it's pretty sexy isn't it?? - and i take a vouyeristic pleasure in watching you two "get it on" as it were

btw - great post above re keith as critic - love that word "ossified" - it's so...SASSY!!

December 2nd, 2004 06:05 PM
F505
quote:
Joey wrote:

F505 .....................................

I am very tired !

I awakened at four in the morning farting like crazy and have had severe diarrhea throughout the morning / afternoon . I have been wiping myself with wet, balled up pieces of toilet paper and am STILL all messy back there today. I even ended up burning my ass a little because the water I used to wet the toilet paper was too hot! I constantly give thanks to all the pictures of naked women that I post on the back of the bathroom door whilst dumping .

Hasbro ! �

JJJJJJJJJJACKY ! �
[Edited by Joey]

December 2nd, 2004 08:26 PM
corgi37 Oh, and you know who else was pretty lame?

The Bee Gees!

Though, i gotta admit, and i dont know why i feel this way, i really like Stayin Alive.

And, they were not Aussie. Just lived here. Except, of course, when they did a rare tour here, then it was "Good to be back home!".

hahahaha. Man, we Aussies are fucked. We claimed Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe and even Olivia Newton-John. We are so insecure! Mind you, to be fair, Crowe is naturelised, and so is "Our Livvy", and she will belt anyone who says she aint Aussie. BTW, she was on This is your life last week. Still looks pretty foxy.

Oh, and she sucks too. So lame.
December 2nd, 2004 09:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels At 70, singer Pat Boone is in career overdrive

By Gioia Patton � December 2, 2004
Special to The Courier-Journal

Pat Boone has had 63 records on the charts, and with several CDs in the works, he's not easing up.

Pat Boone has had 63 records on the charts, scoring hits in the music categories of rock 'n' roll, rhythm and blues, adult contemporary, country, gospel and Christian.

He sold more records in the 1950s than any other artist besides Elvis Presley, had starring roles in numerous films in the '50s and '60s and has written more than 15 books, including the nonfiction best seller "Twixt Twelve and Twenty," a book of advice for teens.

So it's not a complete surprise when he says he's not the type of person to rest on his laurels.

Case in point: Several years ago, when he came to the realization that some of his favorite musical artists weren't signed to record labels, Boone didn't just get angry � he did something about it.

"I was very angry when I thought about the fact that (the musical) tastes of the 70 million baby boomers had been basically written off by music marketing executives," Boone said in a phone interview from his Southern California home.

"So three years ago I created Gold Label Records, signing gold-selling artists who still perform today, like Glen Campbell, Jack Jones, Patty Paige and Cleo Laine."

Boone and his Grammy Award-winning daughter, Debby Boone ("You Light Up My Life"), will give a holiday concert with the Louisville Orchestra Saturday at the Louisville Palace.

Lest Boone's fans think this will be one of their last chances to hear the 70-year-old Nashville native perform, Boone declared: "When it comes to my career, I have no intention of fading away!"

Boone said that although Saturday's concert has a holiday theme, he will include some of his better-known ballads, such as "April Love" and "Love Letters in the Sand."

And he has big plans for the coming year.

"In 2005, the year I celebrate 50 years in the music industry, I hope to also make music history when I release not just one, but five albums ... each one in a different music category."

Actually, the first CD is in stores now. "American Glory" consists of patriotic and military anthems. It will be followed by "Hopeless Romantic," a CD of adult contemporary love songs that Boone said are "the type (of music) Rod Stewart has done recently."

The third recording is rhythm and blues, with Boone doing duets on some R&B classics with the original performers, such as Smokey Robinson's "Tears of a Clown" and a rendition of "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" with James Brown.

Boone's fourth and fifth CDs will be country and gospel music.

The performer said that if there was a downside to having undertaken five back-to-back CDs at this stage of his life, it came in the form of disappointing his wife, Shirley, who had hoped that her husband of 50 years would begin to slow down, "and my career would kind of grind to a halt," he said.

"She wanted us to have a few years together in anonymity ... but instead I stepped up the pace with the explanation that I wanted to go out with a bang instead of a whimper."

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
December 2nd, 2004 09:34 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
At 70, singer Pat Boone is in career overdrive

The third recording is rhythm and blues, with Boone doing duets on some R&B classics with the original performers, such as Smokey Robinson's "Tears of a Clown" and a rendition of "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" with James Brown.

forget out dated sex laws - it's issues such as these which US legislators should be addressing
December 2nd, 2004 09:40 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Jair wrote:
Both are between the finest music ever made in USA.
Believe me, if you start to listen them, you'll dont stop anymore.

I stopped at the 0:05 seconds...
December 3rd, 2004 08:32 AM
Jair Ohhhhh
December 3rd, 2004 08:40 AM
Gazza
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

forget out dated sex laws - it's issues such as these which US legislators should be addressing

didnt Pat try and "go punk" or something a few years back?
December 3rd, 2004 10:30 AM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Oh, and you know who else was pretty lame?

The Bee Gees!

Though, i gotta admit, and i dont know why i feel this way, i really like Stayin Alive.

And, they were not Aussie. Just lived here. Except, of course, when they did a rare tour here, then it was "Good to be back home!".

hahahaha. Man, we Aussies are fucked. We claimed Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe and even Olivia Newton-John. We are so insecure! Mind you, to be fair, Crowe is naturelised, and so is "Our Livvy", and she will belt anyone who says she aint Aussie. BTW, she was on This is your life last week. Still looks pretty foxy.

Oh, and she sucks too. So lame.

King Corgi !

I just checked pollstar.com and I see THE EAGLES are STILL over there in Australia ( been there since August )!

{{{{ *** WTF ?!?! *** }}}}}

I swear , once a band gets over there it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to leave ( see Stones " LICKS TOUR " -- eighty five shows in Aussie alone )

Why ?!?!

WHY ?!?!

Bercee ! �
December 3rd, 2004 10:48 AM
rockstarbrian The funny part I find about this forum is that everyone on this forum thinks they're the end-all conniseurs of musical-taste and what they say goes, beyond people who have the ability to write great music. I don't think you know about great music unless you can write good music. I think it's possible to know about great music, and not be able to write it, but to show that you do write good music proves you know what great music is. And for everyone on this site, they all just have giant egos and say blanket statements like so-and-so SUCKS or whatever when really, they're not anybody to say that anyone sucks. They're just a consumer, and to think that they're some huge experts on music is just ignorant. Sure, if you buy a record and you like it or dislike it, doesn't mean you know anything about music. 12 year old kids listen to motzart and say it SUCKS. That's just hilarious. The people on this forum defend their opinions based on the assumption that whatever somebody hears that they like is necessarily good. It's hard to talk about whether music is good or bad because it's all relative to each and every individual, but to say that somebody sucks who's gained millions of fans and respect from other top musicians and song-writers is just plain ignorant. To say they sucks is just plain ignoring the facts and saying, "No, Keith Richards is wrong! I'm right!" Who are you to say that you know better than Keith Richards, let alone anyone? I just find it extremely ignorant and childish to just spout off that people suck and just ignore the tremendous amount of talent that people have.

Personally, I hate Nirvana. I can't stand them. It doesn't mean that they SUCK! LOL. I know that he was a fantastic song-writer to changed music but really I mean, I think his guitar tones and his solo on teen spirit weren't done very well and I hate Nirvana's music. It doesn't mean I go tell everybody that Nirvana SUCKS. I'm not ignorant, I see his talent and how he changed the face of music. The same thing with rap, I don't like it, but I know what a great lyricist and music buff Chuck D is, and I don't like his stuff, but I don't say he's one of the worst artists ever.
December 3rd, 2004 10:49 AM
rockstarbrian Just because you have ears, doesn't mean you're qualified to tell ANYONE they're wrong. Especially keith richards.
December 3rd, 2004 10:51 AM
Joey
quote:
rockstarbrian wrote:
Just because you have ears, doesn't mean you're qualified to tell ANYONE they're wrong. Especially keith richards.

I masturbate ..................is THAT wrong ?!?!

It's TRUE !!!!!!!!!! .... I DO !!!!

Frisky ! �
December 3rd, 2004 11:06 AM
not bound to please
quote:
Joey wrote:

No - every time you masturbate - no chance of The Joey reproducing....
December 3rd, 2004 11:08 AM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

It's TRUE !!!!!!!!!! .... I DO !!!!

Frisky ! �

I masturbated Wednesday night. It's TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 3rd, 2004 11:12 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
December 3rd, 2004 08:20 PM
Soldatti This topis is about WORST HABITS now!
December 4th, 2004 11:40 AM
glencar A U2 fan goes off the deep end:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/4845/u2page.html
December 4th, 2004 06:54 PM
fabfour To those of you who listed The Beatles and Paul Maccartney as some of the worst acts and even put them as number one,I just wanted to let you know that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have alwas been big Beatles fans and they were infact good friends with them!I have an excellent important book called,The Beatles recording sessions by Mark Lewisohn that is a very impressive detailed musical diary of the 8 years of The Beatles recording sessions which shows how truly brialliant John and Paul were. In one very interesting picture Mick is sitting right next to John Lennon and Paul MacCartney is next to John in the console room and this was taken at The Beatles remix for their great Revolver album.

Also,in The Beatles Anthology video series it shows the TV show Our World from June 1967 where The Beatles performed the song All You Need is Love and Mick is clearly seen sitting in the front row singing and clapping his hands to the song,and Eric Clapton was there,and Keith Richards was there as well as many of their other friends.Also there is a film of The Beatles party for the recording of the song A Day in The Life and Mic and Keith are shown walking in!

Mick Jagger's name is also on the tape box for the recording of The Beatles song,Baby You're A Rich Man in May of 1967 because he came there just to watch them record it and may have song in the verses at the end of the song. That's how much of a fan he was that here he was the front man of his own successful group and yet he cme there just to watch and listen to them record!He was also with them in August of 1967 when they went to Bangor to study meditation and when they got the call that their manager Brian Epstein was dead.

Also Mariane Faithful who was Mick's girlfriend in mid 1960's says in The Paul biography,Many Years From Now that Mick would often visit Paul MacCartney in his music room in his house and that Paul never visited them but they went to see him because he was Paul MacCartney.I also found an interesting online interview three years ago from a 1973 magazine called Zig Zag with Charlie Watts and he said that what made The Beatles so great is that they put out one great single and one great album after the next. Brian Jones was also a good friend of thires too.

I just thought you should know all of this.And there are plenty of people who actually like The Rolling Stones *and* The Beatles! Ozzy Ozborne is a huge Beatles fan he says not loving them is like not loving oxogen and David Lee Roth is a fan too Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys was interviwed along with Steve Winwood and many others(including black and white opera and jazz and classical violinist Isac(not sure of the spelling of his first name) Pearlman about how great The Beatles were on Nightline in 1995 after the second night of The Beatles Anthology TV series and Brian Wilson said that St. Peppers is the single greatest album he's ever heard.

And he said John Lennon and Paul MacCartney were the two greatest song writers of the 20th century and he said The Beatles Rubber Soul Album blew him away,he said all of the songs flowed together and that it was pop music but folk rock at the same time and that that's what he couldn't believe and this is what motivated him to do his Pet Sounds album.

Mick Jagger also hung out with John Lennon in the 1970's and there is three pitcures of him with John. One was taken in 1974 and the other I saw online was taken in 1973 at a recording studio where Mick sits right next to John and Yoko,and the other from 197 of him sitting right behind John and Yoko at a circus with their son Sean.Paul and Linda were also at Mick and Bianca's wedding in 1971.
December 4th, 2004 07:07 PM
fabfour I just noticed I made a few typing mistakes and I didn't see where there is an edit option.
December 4th, 2004 07:19 PM
fabfour P.S. Frank Zappa was also a friend of John Lennon's and he played on one of John and Yoko's albums in the early 1970's.
December 4th, 2004 07:21 PM
Mel Belli They were friendly rivals, I guess, but the Beatles never had anyone to *fear*. Competition-wise, the Beatles blew everyone away. And still do.

I know Mick was sort of friendly with John up until he died, but I think their relationship can be summed up in that scene from "Rock and Roll Circus," right before the Dirty Mac come on.

John was subtly dissing Mick there (acerbically calling him "Michael" and all that), and Mick knew it. But all he could do was helplessly shrug it off by smiling and playing along.
December 4th, 2004 09:51 PM
Gazza
quote:
rockstarbrian wrote:
The funny part I find about this forum is that everyone on this forum thinks they're the end-all conniseurs of musical-taste and what they say goes, beyond people who have the ability to write great music. I don't think you know about great music unless you can write good music. I think it's possible to know about great music, and not be able to write it, but to show that you do write good music proves you know what great music is. And for everyone on this site, they all just have giant egos and say blanket statements like so-and-so SUCKS or whatever when really, they're not anybody to say that anyone sucks. They're just a consumer, and to think that they're some huge experts on music is just ignorant. Sure, if you buy a record and you like it or dislike it, doesn't mean you know anything about music. 12 year old kids listen to motzart and say it SUCKS. That's just hilarious. The people on this forum defend their opinions based on the assumption that whatever somebody hears that they like is necessarily good. It's hard to talk about whether music is good or bad because it's all relative to each and every individual, but to say that somebody sucks who's gained millions of fans and respect from other top musicians and song-writers is just plain ignorant. To say they sucks is just plain ignoring the facts and saying, "No, Keith Richards is wrong! I'm right!" Who are you to say that you know better than Keith Richards, let alone anyone? I just find it extremely ignorant and childish to just spout off that people suck and just ignore the tremendous amount of talent that people have.

Personally, I hate Nirvana. I can't stand them. It doesn't mean that they SUCK! LOL. I know that he was a fantastic song-writer to changed music but really I mean, I think his guitar tones and his solo on teen spirit weren't done very well and I hate Nirvana's music. It doesn't mean I go tell everybody that Nirvana SUCKS. I'm not ignorant, I see his talent and how he changed the face of music. The same thing with rap, I don't like it, but I know what a great lyricist and music buff Chuck D is, and I don't like his stuff, but I don't say he's one of the worst artists ever.

I could say over and over that you're completely missing the point of the entire thread, but I think its obvious that I'd be wasting my time.

You seem obsessed that Keith Richards has better taste than anyone on the planet (including his musical peers) because hes written good songs...(you still havent explained why Keith's taste is necessarily better than Mick's - who has probably written as many if not more great songs and whose musical taste is often at odds with Keith's)

Do you buy and enjoy records just because they're by artists that HE likes? Similarly, do you dismiss as rubbish any act that HE doesnt rate?

Keith does indeed have greater talent than any of the rest of us put together - but as a listener of music he has his own prejudices just like you or I have. Keith is also guilty of rubbishing credible acts who have received praise from their contemporaries (eg calling Prince "a talentless midget" - quite a statement made about someone who can play over 20 instruments, and who has been writing, producing and playing most of the instruments on all of his albums since he was 18 years old)

the whole point of the thread was concerned with people's musical tastes. If I dont like Bon Jovi or if you dont like Nirvana, then as far as our individual tastes are concerned, those acts do in fact "suck" ...we sure as hell dont need to pay lip service to the taste of some musician just because we admire his art. Jon Bon Jovi has undoubtedly more musical talent than I have and has accomplished something - however as his music means nothing to me personally and I in fact find it personally annoying, I think I've a right to dismiss it artistically as lightweight, compared to the work of artists I DO happen to admire..

Similarly, I dont think theres anyone in this thread who would claim to be more talented than the artists they are slagging off - but those artists dont become more talented or their work more listenable just because someone else whose work we DO admire finds something good in them.

I dont think anyone is seriously worked up about having a "giant ego". Its personal opinion and personal taste - and if they cant make a connection with someone's 'art' it may not just be because theyre not qualified to appreciate it - it may be that they are qualified to discern good music from bad.... and theyve decided it simply isnt that good.

I think I'm capable of recognising quality, thank you very much. Ive listened to a lot of music of varying styles and can both play and read music since I was 9 years of age. So, I think I've certainly more of a concept of what quality is than a 12 year old. However, if someone disagrees with me and doesnt find Bob Dylan enjoyable for example, thats their prerogative to do that and I'll defend their right to think that, even if I also think they're full of shit.

Theres no "right" and "wrong" in an argument where the only thing that matters is what you hear with your own ears and whether the music in question moves you or not. Your own opinion on what is good and what isnt is the only barometer of taste you need.

[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2 3 4
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood