ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Gypsy!!
In memory of Ian "Stu" Stewart
b. July 18, 1938 - d. December 12, 1985
© Unknown author with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stevie Wonder Joins Rolling Stones At Superbowl Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 6th, 2005 09:15 AM
moy Stevie Wonder Joins Rolling Stones At Superbowl
Performing before the match...

by Scott Colothan on 12/6/2005 More News...

Stevie WonderStevie Wonder is joining The Rolling Stones on the bill for next year’s Superbowl.

The legendary singer will perform three or four songs before the match at Ford Field, Detroit on February 5.

As previously announced, The Rolling Stones have got the prestigious half time slot – a slot previously filled by Stevie Wonder back in 1999.

More pre-match acts are set to be announced so
December 6th, 2005 09:18 AM
lotsajizz the joint 'Satisfaction/Uptight' jam beckons!!
December 6th, 2005 09:40 AM
Moonisup
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
the joint 'Satisfaction/Uptight' jam beckons!!

that would be nice!
December 6th, 2005 09:56 AM
Nellcote Now, we are talking....
The possibilities are endless...
Queen of Soul Aretha, Keith & Ron's buddy from the 80's..
Could the addition of Smokey Robinson be on the horizon?
How about Diana Ross for "Going to a Go Go"?

December 6th, 2005 10:12 AM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Now, we are talking....

Nellcote ..............................

There are NO Football games Sunday , January 29th , 2006

W- W- W- What ?!?! ..... Oh , Sure ! :

www.omahameca.com

December 6th, 2005 10:18 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

oh yes!!!
December 6th, 2005 10:24 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Now, we are talking....

this has the potential to humiliate the band into retirement
December 6th, 2005 10:43 AM
Nellcote Just please, no Kid Rock.
December 6th, 2005 10:55 AM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Just please, no Kid Rock.

How's abouts Kenye( sic ) West ?!?!?!

" Gold Digger Ronnie ! "

www.U2Tours.com

[Edited by Joey]
December 6th, 2005 10:56 AM
Nellcote Kanye West got the opening slot at Qwest Center.
Joey gives us his best technocolored yawn....
December 6th, 2005 11:06 AM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Joey gives us his best technocolored yawn....

W- W- W- What ?!?!

www.kcchiefs.com

YES !!!!!!!

December 6th, 2005 11:14 AM
Nellcote The test of the mettle of the reigning Super Bowl Champions
is upon all of New England. We are now at the hallowed time of year for football.
The Chiefs have brought forward great effort which should
propel them to the January tournament.
I feel bad for SS after last nights pummeling of the Eagles.
NFL & The Stones, how sweet it is!
December 6th, 2005 11:47 AM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
The Chiefs have brought forward great effort which should
propel them to the January tournament.

NFL & The Stones, how sweet it is!

I would like to caress your kneecaps .

For My Baby :

http://www.omahameca.com/

" The Rolling Stones "
" The Rolling Stones will once again showcase their diversity as musicians and bring fans electrifying performances and state-of-the art stage production while performing in both stadiums and arenas throughout North America.

When:
Sunday, January 29, 2006
7:30PM

Where:
Qwest Center Arena

Ticket Information:
$62.00-$97.00-$162.00-$352.00 Tickets are on sale at all ticketmaster retail ticket center locations, Ticketmaster charge-by-phone in Omaha at (402)422-1212 and Lincoln (402)475-1212, online at Ticketmaster.com or at Qwest Center Omaha Box Office.

Additional Information:
No glass bottles, cans, hard plastic containers or other potential projectiles are allowed at any time, this includes sales within the venue. NO CAMERAS (professional, digital or otherwise), video cameras, audio recording equipment, laser pointers, flash lights, etc. shall be allowed at any time. No weapons or fireworks of any description are to be allowed at any time. All large bags, backpacks, large jackets will be searched upon entering the building. The use of cell phones will be prohibited inside the inner arena during the show. All flags and banners must have been detached from sticks/poles, etc. before entering the building if allowed. No inflatable, i.e. beach balls, hammers and seats etc. to be allowed inside the inner arena at anytime (before, during or after the show). "

[Edited by Joey]
December 6th, 2005 06:07 PM
Soldatti I smell a whole circus in the half time: the Stones, Stevie, Bono, Justin, Sheryl, Joss Stone and more Mick friends.
December 6th, 2005 06:20 PM
Some Guy I'm liking my Falcons chances less and less.
December 6th, 2005 09:00 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

beat me to it (again)

how sweet would that be..?

is that crazy horn player of stevie's still around..? he could run around snapping amyls under everyone's nose, just like in '72. what a scene that would be...
December 6th, 2005 09:04 PM
mac_daddy i am curious - do any of you non-US folks even watch the super bowl...? i confess, i sure as hell dont wake up in the middle of the night to watch the soccer games, or the olympics. i was just curious if anybody, other than the US fanbase, even cares that they were doing the halftime gig...

December 6th, 2005 10:15 PM
texile i don't think the stones and stevie are friends....
they didn't really hit it off on the 72 tour and jagger looked annoyned when stevie dominated the stage during thier "duet"
it was still cool as shit though....
but they never mingled after that - which was always strange to me - because the stones are fans.
December 7th, 2005 04:10 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
i am curious - do any of you non-US folks even watch the super bowl...? i confess, i sure as hell dont wake up in the middle of the night to watch the soccer games, or the olympics. i was just curious if anybody, other than the US fanbase, even cares that they were doing the halftime gig...

to be honest no.
we got enough to do with Champions League
just kidding mac,in Europe we don ' t really care about the us football or world series.
We find the half time interesting only when we can see free boobs...
Nba is different cuz it s a a sport...we can understand LOL
December 7th, 2005 06:08 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
to be honest no.
we got enough to do with Champions League
just kidding mac,in Europe we don ' t really care about the us football or world series.
We find the half time interesting only when we can see free boobs...
Nba is different cuz it s a a sport...we can understand LOL

I'm in agreement with Jumacfly. Personally, I pay no interest in the Superbowl whatsoever. American football gets little to no coverage over here in the UK.

As Jumacfly stated, we have the Champions League to think about! Manchester United vs. Benfica tonight!

Where as Soccer is a global sport, I think most across Europe view American Football as well, purely American and it just wouldn't be right if it was big over here. That’s my view anyway.

In all honesty, I'd actually say that soccer is BIGGER in the States than American football is across Europe.

December 7th, 2005 08:43 AM
mmdog
I don't think the Stones will have any guests at halftime. Stevie Wonder is playing the pregame show, not halftime. Both U2 and McCartney played the Superbowl halftime without other acts.
December 7th, 2005 09:10 AM
lotsajizz we can dream can't we?
December 7th, 2005 11:45 AM
Saint Sway they need to back out of this one. The embarrassment risk factor is way too high on this gig.

God knows what kind of cheesy production we are in for..... Mick in a gold glitter jacket playing Rain Fall Down and Start Me Up on a tacky stage in the middle of a half-filled football field, surrouned by fake, over-excited hired audience members holding signs that read "Super Stones" and choreographed dancers and cheerleaders on side stages.... not to mention another Justin cameo. Its an NFL rule that he performs at all half-time shows.

nothing good can come of this. Only total humiliation. They must back out.

hopefully Mick hasnt gotten his flu shot yet...
December 7th, 2005 06:59 PM
texile
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
they need to back out of this one. The embarrassment risk factor is way too high on this gig.

God knows what kind of cheesy production we are in for..... Mick in a gold glitter jacket playing Rain Fall Down and Start Me Up on a tacky stage in the middle of a half-filled football field, surrouned by fake, over-excited hired audience members holding signs that read "Super Stones" and choreographed dancers and cheerleaders on side stages.... not to mention another Justin cameo. Its an NFL rule that he performs at all half-time shows.

nothing good can come of this. Only total humiliation.

They must back out.

hopefully Mick hasnt gotten his flu shot yet...

and the sad thing is - as i was reading you post, saint - i could visualize every detail - like a bad premonition.
December 7th, 2005 08:48 PM
glencar Honky, I myself only watch the Superbowl because we usually have parties & the damned thing is on. I have little interest. As for those hoping Stevie does "UptighT" I'm afraid he's more likely to do crap from the "Secret Life Of Plants" album.
December 7th, 2005 09:21 PM
corgi37 U.S. football was tried here in Oz years ago, but quickly faded. It's just too boring for us lovers of non-stop Aussie Rules.

The Superbowl gets televised here, but now that i think of it, i think last year it wasnt. Not even on cable. Hopefully this year it will.

I'm sort of dreading it though. Is this match at night? Or daytime? I cant imagine seeing the Stones in daylight.

Keith might burst into flames!

P.S. Joey - I hope the Stones do the new, state of the art Qwest Center justice. I hope they dont just "phone" the set in for you.
December 7th, 2005 10:37 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

No inflatable, i.e. beach balls, hammers and seats etc. to be allowed inside the inner arena at anytime (before, during or after the show). "

[Edited by Joey]

who the hell is bringing hammers and their own seats to the Quest Center (brand spanking new!) to facilitate mentioning this in the rules??
December 8th, 2005 06:07 AM
Jumping Jack HUMILIATION, I can can it like the back of my hand!!!
December 8th, 2005 06:12 AM
glencar There is danger of that happening but the AMA's hopefully served as a warning.
December 8th, 2005 07:19 PM
moy Start it up
Here are songs Stones should do at Super Bowl XL
Posted: Thursday December 8, 2005 5:09PM; Updated: Thursday December 8, 2005 5:09PM

No need to worry about anything like this happening with the Stones performing at halftime of Super Bowl XL.
Frank Micelotta/Getty Images

If I were programming the Super Bowl halftime show, I'd go old school. I'd show the finals of the national punt-pass-and kick competition. Either that, or do one of those deals where a guy throws a football through a hoop for $1 million. It's simple, it's fun and it stays in the flow of the day.

But the NFL has chosen to continue on the musical route, going with the Rolling Stones -- which yes, is one of the top five (three? two?) rock bands of all time. But they'll come on stage, look completely out of context, do three songs, and it will be over before it gets going.

And what three songs will the Stones do? I'd like an all-Beggars Banquet set -- say, Sympathy for the Devil, No Expectations and Salt of the Earth. Or maybe Far Away Eyes or Dead Flowers, songs for which I have soft spots. Although the odds of them breaking out such non-obvious numbers at the Super Bowl are quite slim. Start Me Up is a prohibitive favorite to make the set list.

If the Rolling Stones really wanted to give a memorable halftime show, here's what their set list should be:

• What Have You Done for Me Lately
• Nasty
• That's the Way Love Goes

In short, they should do all Janet Jackson covers.

This would work for several reasons.

1) It would be a genuine rock-and roll-gesture. Just because it is the last thing the people who hired them would want.

2) It would offend no convictions that are worth respecting. Unlike the Timberlake-Jackson tearaway -- which arguably was also a rock-and-roll gesture, albeit one that failed aesthetically, conceptually and in terms of conviction, after everyone retreated to the "wardrobe malfunction" bunker -- the Stones' performance would contain no actual unsuitable content. Freeze-frames of the show could be replayed without any need for pixialation.

3) It would be good music. The Rolling Stones could do great versions of Janet Jackson's songs. It's right in their wheelhouse. It would take the band back to its repackaged R&B roots. I remember a university professor who grew up in the early 1960s telling me why he would listen to black radio when he was growing up in Pittsburgh. "Why would I listen to the Rolling Stones on a white station when I could tune to a black station and hear all the stuff they were ripping off?"

4) It would help the Stones, who lost a little something right around the time Start Me Up became a Microsoft jingle, get back some credibility. If they want to regain some rebel status again, what better place than the Super Bowl. The best answer to the question "what are you rebelling against" will always be "whatta ya got?" And the Super Bowl -- a secular holiday celebrated around a television and noted for its advertising -- is as What We've Got as it gets.

Of course the people who run the show would never let the Stones perform Janet Jackson. Last year the GoDaddy.com commercial that included a reference to wardrobe malfunction wasn't allowed to air a second time.

Which is why the Rolling Stones would have to disguise their set list.

Not that I'm telling anyone to lie. The 1990s taught us all that suborning perjury is a high crime.

But the Stones could just find a way to stumble to it. Keith Richards could pull a Pentangeli move from Godfather II. "Look, these guys offered us a deal. They said, 'We want you to play this, we want you to play that, maybe Honky Tonk Woman, It's Only Rock and Roll.' So we said, 'Yeah, sure.' Because that's what they wanted to hear. But it was all lies. We were going to play Janet Jackson all along." Then maybe -- just maybe -- next year they'll bring back the punt-pass-and-kick.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)