ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Why'd you have to leave us like that, you sod!
I could think of a hundred other fuckers who should have gone instead of him!
He wasn't even on my list!" - -
Keith Richards. New York City 1985

Ian "STU" Stewart b. July 18, 1938 - d. December 12, 1985

Vielen Dank Bendix!!!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Joint, Las Vegas 29/11/02 Return to archive
11-30-02 09:45 AM
Gazza Thankks to PdogSF, who posted the setlist on Gas x 3.

1.Jumpin Jack Flash

2.Live with me

3.IORR

4.dont stop

5.worried about you

6.beast of burden

7.all down the line

8.monkey man

9.cant turn you loose

10.gimme shelter

11.tumblin dice

12.slipping away

13.thru and thru

14.you got me rockin

15.when the whip comes down

16.midnight rambler

17.honky tonk women

18.start me up

19.satisfaction

20.brown sugar

11-30-02 11:35 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yeah, for $1000 a ticket, they're gonna be playing a huge amount of Warhorses in comparison to the other $50 venues. Still, a few nice surprises ("Worried About You", "When The Whip Comes Down").

Anyone here sell their firstborn and go?

-tSYX --- It's just that demon life, a-got me in it's sway...
11-30-02 01:29 PM
Moonisup I gotta agree with XY here, a lot of warhorses!!!!!
hehehe the celebs got a Arenashow in a club
11-30-02 03:36 PM
Maxmeister Warhorses, it's just a fact of life. BUT, they got Beast of Burden, Monkey Man, Worried About You and Thru and Thru. That's not too shabby.
If Keith nailed Thru and Thru like MSG, that is almost worth the price of admission right there.
I wonder how many non celebs there were in attendance. Stonesdoug had 100 from his board alone.

Rick
12-01-02 01:05 PM
CS Photos by Anthony Mathile from rollingstones.com, Alexandra and Theodora at the after party

12-01-02 07:16 PM
glencar I was there. Great show even for $1000 but last night's show at the MGM Arena was even better. What a wild weekend. Time to recoup...
12-02-02 06:42 PM
Jaxx Monday, December 02, 2002
Copyright � Las Vegas Review-Journal

JAGGER AND COMPANY: Stones shows a study in contrasts

Saturday concert trumps Friday effort

By DOUG ELFMAN
REVIEW-JOURNAL

Mick Jagger, right, proves that a 59-year-old can be more energetic on stage than a 20-year-old. In the background, guitarists Ronnie Wood, left, and Keith Richards play simple but classic riffs.
Photo by Jeff Scheid.

The Rolling Stones were supposed to play an intimate little show for 2,000 fans at the Hard Rock on Friday. But someone managed to squeeze 1 million people into the Joint. One million? Is that right? Hmm. ... Yeah, I think so. Quite a feat.

We sardines stood in place forever because the Stones started playing close to 11 p.m., about 90 minutes late.

I couldn't get five feet past the entrance. I stood pinned to the door, there in the back, where the floor slopes down and obscures the view. So, when I say I "saw" the Rolling Stones, I guess what I mean is that I watched a live feed of their concert on a TV over a bar. I did hear them, though. Bully for me.

Maybe the blind-sardine show was a blessing in disguise. It gave me a chance to judge the music without the visuals. The Rolling Stones in their twilight are all about visuals.

According to the TV feed, Mick Jagger danced, pranced, strutted and jutted his arms out, like, "Check it out, man, I'm a cat, and I know aerobics. Rowr!"

The Stones played more obscure songs, but that didn't work because the Stones are a hits band. Complex music acts, like Radiohead or the Deftones, do their best work on album cuts that aren't accepted for radio play. Simple, hook-driven acts such as the Stones and Madonna do their best work on hits because simple is as simple does. Simple either sticks in your brain, or it evaporates into nothingness. Poof.

So, "Live With Me," "You Got Me Rockin' " and "When The Whip Comes Down" were small, dull and repetitive in the same ways. They featured forgettable guitar licks and vocal blahs. Poof.

The two standout songs were the hits "Gimme Shelter" and "Midnight Rambler." Keith Richards gave "Gimme Shelter" its endearing, slurring guitar. Mick Jagger and one of three backup singers yearned out a confident ache, "War, children; it's just a shot away."

"Midnight Rambler" retained most of its old, blues-powered rock. Jagger blew a mean harmonica. And the Stones had the boldness to perform the song's raw and rambling, stop-and-go climax, even if they did add a striptease rhythm to sex it up.

But "Satisfaction," a song that helped change music, was so rote, it would have been better off in the hands of a band playing an island bar in a hotel. "Brown Sugar" wasn't much more inspired. The players gave it an extended rock cliche of a final, 25-second drum outro that led slowly to a final, ka-ka-ka-ka ... ba-da-boom.

Richards, ill-advisedly, sang. He fronted the mid-tempo void, "Slipping Away" and the dead-pulse, "Thru and Thru." Richards' voice slipped off target like bare feet on stream sludge. He sounded like Sting might on sleeping pills.

I was minding my own business, but people who had paid up to and over $1,000 per ticket kept coming up to ask me to report how upset they were.

"I got general admission tickets for $1,800, and we can't even get up front," one rich guy who flew in from Houston complained. A woman huffed, "Are you writing about this? It's ridiculous."

I asked a guy following the Stones tour whether all of the other small shows have been this packed. He said they were even fuller in New York and Los Angeles.

After the show, I walked to the nearby Double Down Saloon, where I listened to an all-woman tribute band to Cheap Trick called Cheap Chick. They were rough. They hurt my ears. And their first song was more fun and interesting than anything in the Stones' two-hour set.

The next night, the Stones played the MGM Grand Garden Arena and did what they do best. They staged a visual spectacle built for a hits parade.

Giant video monitors behind the stage showed live close-ups in which the cigarette dangling from Richards' lips appeared larger than any person in the building.

Fans bought and wore lapel pins shaped like the Stones' trademark lips logo. The pins blinked red and blue in the dark. That made the arena a starry night. Pretty cool.

Jagger pranced and danced, but looked less catty and more like a food-starved runway model because he had room to strut across a wide stage and up a catwalk that led through the center of the arena.

The Stones performed a shade less tightly than they did just five years ago. Richards dropped some lead lines, even if he looked more energetic than in the past, which is to say he wasn't slumped in one spot all night.

Jagger didn't say much to the crowd beyond applause lines like, "Are you feeling good?" And on "Jumpin' Jack Flash," he talked the phrase, "It's a gas, gas, gas," as if he were out of gas. That was the encore finale after two hours of hard work for the 59-year-old singer. It was quite forgivable.

There were only two basic flaws at the MGM show, a bargain at up to $350 a ticket. The lesser flaw was that there was a break in between each song. Maybe that gave the Brits time to drink water (we hope) and for Jagger to change shirts. But it made the show a trifle choppy.

A bit more annoying was that the Stones extended a lot of songs with one trick. "Brown Sugar" clocked in at just over two minutes, but then the band played basically the exact same last four bars of the song, over and over, for three minutes. They did that at the Hard Rock, too.

That grew tiresome. And the addition of four horn players on "Jumpin' Jack Flash," and on other songs that didn't need horns, puffed out the air of a Vegas showroom.

But despite quirks, like Richards' singing again at the MGM, the imperfections seemed minor, compared with the Stones' boilerplate-solid performance.

The set list was indeed smarter than it was at the Hard Rock. Who wouldn't prefer the MGM performance of the relentlessly brooding "Wild Horses" to the Hard Rock coma of "Worried About You?" Who wouldn't prefer the solo-fest, fan favorite of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" to the Hard Rock's silly "Monkey Man?"

The Stones played a handful of songs at both shows. "Start Me Up" and "Tumbling Dice" certainly sounded bigger at the MGM. Why? Because the Stones played most songs as echoey, arena arrangements at both venues. And echoes had more room to reverberate in the cavern of the arena.

At the MGM, there seemed to be only two minutes of free-form fun. Jagger introduced guitarist Ron Wood as, "On the cigarette: Ronnie Wood." Funny. And stepping up to the mike, Richards saw Wood joking around and playfully flicked his cigarette into Wood's chest. They laughed.

The MGM concert was a reminder that the Stones wrote some amazing songs, once upon a time. But try as they might, they cannot control the past. They can control only the presentation of the past.

And the presentation was a control-freak's dream. Every moment had a place in a schedule, no differently than at a Cher show. That's what the Rolling Stones excel at now: routines.

12-03-02 02:42 AM
glencar Good Lord, that jerk has no idea what he's talking about. Whip was awesome. Thru & Thru was the best Keith song I've seen since the last tour. I wasn't packed like a sardine (I wouldn't accept that!) so I actually got the visuals which obviously enhanced my enjoyment of the show. I was somewhat disappointed in the setlist but the performance was still quite good. As I said above, the show at the MGM was better.
12-03-02 12:35 PM
kc152 WOW, That review was so bad,I don't know which part was the funniest. I guess the part about the Cheap Trick cover band being more interesting than the Stones has to be the topper. What was the crowd like at Roseland? As far as being too many people in one place & pushing. I saw pictures and it did not seem like it was a problem. I can't beleive this was the setlist for a club gig with such a high price tag.
12-03-02 02:31 PM
jb Vegas sucks as a venue.
12-03-02 02:47 PM
littleredrooster Las Vegas is a great venue!
JB, you should try it on for size in February!

This journalist jerk was probably pissed that HRH didn't comp him an upgrade to the GA ticket that his cheap rag newspaper bought for him!!
He failed to report that the buffet was great!

Now that's Las Vegas!

Roostah
12-03-02 02:51 PM
jb Vegas has too many vices for me...booze, woman, gambling...last time I was there in 93, cost me about 10k for a weekend of entertainment.
12-03-02 03:01 PM
littleredrooster JB,
You should attend at MGM in FEB!
I would volunteer to hold your wallet in order to keep you out of trouble!!!

Prince Roostah
12-03-02 03:52 PM
throbby You guys think the arse paid for a ticket? Sounds by the tone of the article that he went to find the faults. Hey I guess that's what "critics" do. What a bunch of cheap shots. You know, I never met this guy but I bet his life sucks, and he probably doesn't get laid very often. Come to think of it I'll bet you a hundred to one that he asked to suck off the band and they refused.
12-03-02 04:06 PM
jb Throbby,I like your name...
12-06-02 05:44 PM
CS The verified setlist is now up at IORR http://www.iorr.org/tour02/lv1.htm