ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Dublin, December 1993
Thanks Irina!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Elvis Pix (nsc) Return to archive
12-02-03 12:02 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Elvis Pictures Go on Display for First Time

LONDON (Reuters) - Candid photographs of 1950s rock pioneers Elvis Presley , Buddy Holly and Bobby Darin , snapped by a high school photographer and boxed away for 40 years, went on display for the first time on Tuesday.

The collection includes pictures of Elvis taken in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1956 when local newspapers were on strike and teenage photographer Lew Allen showed up with a camera. The then 17-year-old was the only photographer at the concerts.

"I was the only guy in my high school who knew how to handle a camera so I went along. It was a wonderful experience to take pictures of Elvis at the start of his career," Allen told Reuters.

Other rock legends captured by Allen's lens include the Everly Brothers, Dion -- of 1950s band Dion and the Belmonts -- and Buddy Holly.

One picture of Holly -- Allen's favorite in the exhibition -- shows the singer sitting dejectedly on a bus in 1958 after a four-hour ride through a whirling snowstorm.

"I just stood next to the driver and took a picture of Buddy looking so dejected," Allen said. "He was killed only a year later."

A small number of the pictures have been displayed at Graceland in Memphis, but most haven't been seen in more than 40 years, boxed away in Allen's basement.

They are now being displayed at the "Fingerprints of Elvis" exhibition at Liverpool's Albert Dock and will move to London next year.

"The striking thing about these pictures is the innocence they capture," Allen said. "They were big stars but they didn't act like big stars when I was taking pictures of them."

The display also includes an array of Elvis artifacts, including some of his stage suits and instruments and a unique set of his actual fingerprints.

12-02-03 12:04 PM
glencar How cool is that?
12-02-03 12:20 PM
SHINE A LIGHT set away for 40 years, and then....very cool indeed.