ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Dublin, December 1993
Thanks Irina!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger Snubs Jonny Return to archive
12-02-03 08:13 AM
Honky Tonk Man By PAUL THOMPSON

ROCKER Mick Jagger has switched the date of his knighthood � to avoid being upstaged by rugby hero Jonny Wilkinson.
The Rolling Stones singer was due to receive his gong the same day as World Cup winner Wilko got his MBE.

Jagger, 60, asked the Palace for a new date - and they agreed he can become Sir Mick on December 12.

Wilko, 24, will keep his original date and get the MBE two days earlier.

A Palace insider said: �Mick asked if his date could be changed. I think the reason is obvious.�

Rugby star ... Jonny

A spokesman for Jagger confirmed the switch but added: �With Jonny at the Palace he wanted to avoid a media scrum.�

Jagger has put off his knighthood for months because of touring.

But he accepted next week�s date in an official reply to the Palace - until he learned in The Sun who he would be sharing the day with.

The rocker will receive his honour for services to music while Wilko, who kicked the last-minute drop goal against Australia to win England the World Cup, gets his for services to rugby.

Next Monday Jonny joins the England team for an audience with the Queen after an open-top bus ride through London.
12-02-03 08:40 AM
SHINE A LIGHT what do ya say to that, then??
12-02-03 09:50 AM
Monkey Woman But he's going to bring his dad along! Nice gesture.

---------

Jagger Taking Father to 'Palace Date

By PA News Reporter

Sir Mick Jagger is to take his father to Buckingham Palace for his investiture, he said today.

The Rolling Stones star officially collects his knighthood on Friday, December 12, after months of uncertainty about when he was available.

He was said today to be �delighted� that a date had now been fixed.

Sir Mick has been touring with his band for months which meant he found it difficult to find an appropriate date.

He had been pencilled in for December 10, the same date as Jonny Wilkinson, but did not want to distract attention away from the achievements of England�s Rugby World Cup hero.

A spokesman for the rock legend said today: �Mick is delighted that a date has been agreed for the investiture after spending over a year touring the world with the Rolling Stones.

�He and his family are looking forward immensely to the occasion.

�He would also like to express his gratitude to Buckingham Palace for their understanding of his other commitments over the last 18 months.�

The spokesman said the singer�s 90-year-old father Joe will be joining him for the big day.

In the past 15 months the Stones played 114 shows worldwide to three and half million people.
12-02-03 09:56 AM
SHINE A LIGHT oh, now i'm impressed and feel kindly about the entire affair. perhaps mick is doing this for his dad....i would.
12-02-03 10:04 AM
Hannalee I refuse to believe that Mick reads the Sun.
12-02-03 10:09 AM
Monkey Woman Oh, I guess Mick himself is happy to get the "gong". But it must be a buzz to be able to tell your old dad: "We're invited to the Palace! Let's go and say hello to the Queen!"

BTW, you're probably right, Hannalee. In fact, that article comes from the Sun itself. They are trying to be cute.

Here's the link. There's a less than flattering pic of Mick making a face too.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003552873,00.html
[Edited by Monkey Woman]
12-02-03 10:24 AM
Stones Fan, Gar That picture of Mick is horrrible, really, really awful. Looks like he just sipped some really sour lemonade. Why would anyone publish a picture like that of anyone? Crazy world or what. Gar
12-02-03 10:28 AM
glencar Maybe Keith just yelled at Mick again about the paltry honor & Mick is sour.
12-02-03 10:29 AM
glencar And that Wilko guy looks a bit like Roger Daltrey.
12-02-03 11:17 AM
SHINE A LIGHT how's the other guy gonna look at age 60??

that's not a happy looking mick, probably trying to avoid the media again.
12-02-03 11:24 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
oh, now i'm impressed and feel kindly about the entire affair. perhaps mick is doing this for his dad....i would.

Well, I'm sure Old Joe will enjoy himself. I wouldn't charachterize the resceduling a snub though exactly. I don't blame Mick at all. I means, there's apples and there's oranges.
12-02-03 11:25 AM
glencar Who will get more coverage of his knighting? Jagger or some local soccer hooligan?
12-02-03 11:40 AM
Scot Rocks Now Mick will get knighted on my birthday, im still not happy about it but what can you do...

Mark
12-02-03 11:42 AM
glencar Happy Birthday anyway./
12-02-03 11:50 AM
Scot Rocks Thanks mate
12-02-03 04:28 PM
Monkey Woman And as someone pointed out on Shidoobee, it means that the establishment will now have to call a Rolling Stone "Sir"!
12-02-03 04:44 PM
Gazza >Who will get more coverage of his knighting? Jagger or some local soccer hooligan?

he's actually a rugby player, who's just won England the World Cup....so the answer is pretty obvious
12-03-03 06:57 AM
corgi37 Good on him. I wonder if 6 days later he'll see keith for Keith's birthday and will wear his medal! I'd imagine Keith and all his skanky, reggae mates would tease Mick mercilessly.
12-03-03 09:00 AM
Gazza >Now Mick will get knighted on my birthday, im still not happy about it but what can you do...

its also the 18th anniversary of Ian Stewart's death

12-03-03 10:29 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I'd imagine Keith and all his skanky, reggae mates would tease Mick mercilessly.

Yeah, I'd bet they would BUT, I'm sure Mick could hold his own. He is quite clever.