ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Dublin, December 1993
Thanks Irina!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keiths solo style Return to archive
12-01-03 11:26 AM
headshrinker I have noticed from listening to the bootlegs and DVD's that I have that keith plays very similar solos to Satisfatcion, Star Star and Sympathy for the devil.

i was wondering if anyone knew whether another artist has influenced him into playing this style as Chuck Berry did for songs like Its only Rock n Roll.
12-01-03 11:32 AM
SHINE A LIGHT i'd add jimmy reed,muddy waters....BUT, i'd also say keith IS a style in his own right...keith IS the tunes you've named.
12-01-03 11:34 AM
padre Yeah, it's mr. Art Hritis.
12-01-03 11:43 AM
SHINE A LIGHT well said, i noticed his cute pronounciation as well on 4 flix. what a beautiful man
12-02-03 05:40 AM
headshrinker ok cheers guys, i'll listen to some jimmy and muddy
12-02-03 06:14 PM
Wheel of Fortune
12-03-03 07:56 PM
Scottfree Keef can't play his way out of a wet paper bag (at least a solo).....Course with those friggin knubs on his hands he has an excuse.....
12-03-03 09:17 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Scottfree wrote:
Keef can't play his way out of a wet paper bag (at least a solo).....Course with those friggin knubs on his hands he has an excuse.....

You obviously did not hear him *tear apart* "Sympathy" at the FleetCenter this January.

-tSYX --- Wooo woooo!
12-03-03 10:31 PM
Boomy I've always liked the version of "Sympathy" from "Flashpoint".

The solo on it is tremendous..but it's probably a typical overdub. But it still rocks.
12-04-03 03:32 AM
MidnightRambler I think only with the help of Four Flicks is it so obvious that Keith is struggling with solos. They practically all sound alike--he hits the same notes and bends the same strings. You get to see A LOT of Keith solos throughout the 4 DVDs and really have to admit that when Keith is NOT slashing chords--he's so-so (don't give me that Keith was never a great soloist shit--his fingers were fast as hell for solos--ESPECIALLY during Steel Wheels).

The ONLY lick that really impressed me was a couple seconds on Sympathy on Twickenham--he's on the left wing of the stage and he plays this small lick during a solo. Then later in Satisfaction. It was great---later I heard that riff on the live album "Still Life" on "Let Me Go"...I've NEVER heard Keith play that lick before. Aside from that...his solos were alike just in different keys.
12-04-03 05:13 AM
Moonisup yeah that's true, but I think somebody stated that already some months ago. He just plays the same things over and over, he can't really play a solo anymore, I don't know exactly why
12-04-03 05:24 AM
padre It's a pity that there isn't much help from Ronnie either on solos nowadays. I've just been through the whole 4F in two days and there isn't one good solo that comes to mind. They both dribble around some riff (many times at the same time)and the weaving thing they sometimes had has become more "the ancient form of stumbling through the song". They really could use a solo guitar player. A temptation to mention again certain mr. Taylor...
And yes, Keef was on fire with the solos during Steel Wheels tour!