ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Dublin, December 1993
Thanks Irina!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Attn jb: Stones Tour Numbers. Wow. Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-01-03 10:27 AM
telecaster jb, not bad for the boys. Why do they still do it? Let me count the ways

From BILLBOARD:

Stones Lick Up $300 Million In Milestone Tour

The Rolling Stones' 2002-03 Licks world tour posted the second-highest gross ever, Billboard Bulletin reports. The tour grossed nearly $300 million and played to more than 3.4 million people, putting it behind only the Stones' marathon Voodoo Lounge stadium tour, which grossed $320 million in 1994-95.
12-01-03 10:34 AM
jb My source indicated to me that even before the first ticket is sold, Cohl guarantees the boys $$$$. Thereafter, Cohl keeps everything , including merchandise sales. If a certain # thereafter is exceeded, they all share in the profits.
[Edited by jb]
12-01-03 11:13 AM
Joey " Thereafter, Cohl keeps everything , including merchandise sales. If a certain # thereafter is exceeded, they all share in the profits. "

Hello Josh .........................

Michael Cohl sure is one smart Canadian Jew ...........agreed ?!?!?!?!

By the way , could you please give me your opinion of THIS :

www.zairgit.com/filez/parishilton.wmv

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacky Hilton !
12-01-03 11:14 AM
jb It won't play for me..just keeps buffering and I hear a few groans...
12-01-03 11:15 AM
Sir Stonesalot Uhhhhh, yeah jb, and your point?

I think we are all smart enough to understand what the word "gross" means. You don't need to explain it to us.

But what does that have to do with what you claimed were "poor attendance figures". Springsteen and Macca kicked the Stones ass...remember. Remember how you said that? You sound like a republican. Can't debate an undebatable point so you try to change the subject.

Just admit you were wrong and be done with it. People would respect that.
12-01-03 11:18 AM
telecaster The article also said 99% of tickets were sold
12-01-03 11:23 AM
Joey

Truly , this is THE BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!!!!

I say , Let the Fun continue into 2004 .................................agreed ?!?!?!?!

For Baby : " Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacky Hilton !
12-01-03 11:25 AM
Sir Stonesalot 99%?!? Only 99%?!?

Oh the horror....the SHAME! It's obvious that the Stones have lost it...they couldn't even sell all of their obstructed view tickets!! Doooooom! Gloooooooom! And it's all the fault of the British! They hate the Stones so much that they wouldn't buy that last 1%! Those monarchist pricks!!!
12-01-03 11:25 AM
jb They did not have the highest grossing tour in 03 or 04..those are the facts. Obviously, combining 03 and 04 , as well as merchandise sales, etc, resulted in the 300 million gross figure....Cohl waited until the end and used some creative accounting to come up with this figure. The reality is, that less people attended than in 94 and 97, but the increase in ticket prices made up for the difference. There were very few absolutely sold out venues, and shows that had 14-16k were often classified as sold out despite the fact that the arenas could hold upwards of 18-20 even with the design of the B-stage. For example, in 99, the Ft.Lauderdale show had over 21k with the same stage set up, yet this time only 15k, but it was sold out.
The 99% of tickets sold is very telling and misleading..if you make only 15k tickets available in a 20k seat areana, technically it's sold out, but obviously if the demand was greater more tickets would have benn made available...

[Edited by jb]
12-01-03 11:31 AM
Joey " The 99% of tickets sold is very telling misleading..if you make only 15k tickets available in a 20k seat areana, technically it's sold out, but obviously if the demand was greater more tickets would have benn made available... "

Jacky Cohl !

12-01-03 11:35 AM
jb Frank Solich had to go, he could not win the big one.
12-01-03 11:37 AM
nankerphelge Well, we can all quibble on the numbers. But it was clearly a successful tour and will result in:

More touring!

That's all I care about.

12-01-03 11:41 AM
jb Agreed...
[Edited by jb]
12-01-03 11:42 AM
egon i wanna talk ticket numbers, not money.
3.4 milion people? how much tickets did they sell last time? and how do these figures compare to other acts?

i mean of course they made a shitload of money with the ticket prices being double from last tour.

anyone??

[Edited by egon]
12-01-03 11:43 AM
Joey " Frank Solich had to go, he could not win the big one "

Damn Straight My Brother ........................

A " 9-3 " Regular season is absolutely BATHETIC around these parts ...................................

Look for the Defensive Coach , Bo Pelini , to take over permanently next year .

GO CHIEFS !!!!!!!!

" Stones Rule Bastards ! "

Jacky Vermeil !
12-01-03 11:50 AM
nankerphelge jb, the arrangement you mentioned -- band gets set amount, Cohl gets excess to certain point, then they share -- is a classic hedge. The band must have been concerned that a straight percentage might not have been worth their time. They must have known that the high ticket prices might not get the attendance they wanted. So go for a set amount with the risk on Cohl if attendance is poor, and if attendance is better than expected, both the band and Cohl get something.

I don't think that is the way they did Voodoo Lounge. Wonder when they struck that deal!

And I'm sure Jagger needed the tour after his solo flopped!!!!
12-01-03 11:55 AM
jb I will talk to you about it privately, but you are absolutely correct...
[Edited by jb]
12-01-03 12:00 PM
Joey " I will talk to you about privately, but you are absolutely correct... "

Yes , you both posit some very lucid , vital , compelling , illuminating and coherent points and I will talk to each of you privately about said matter at a later juncture ..........................................

For now : " Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jercee Sea Scroll !

12-01-03 12:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot >They did not have the highest grossing tour in 03 or 04..<

I agree. They did not have the highest grossing tour in 04. In fact no one had the highest grossing tour of 04....because it ISN'T 04 YET!!!

jb the tour spanned 2 years, 2002, and 2003. You must combine the sales figures from both years to include the entire tour. That is how things are done. That is just common practice. ALL bands that do tours over 2 years combine sales figures. ALL bands include merchandising in the tour gross. That is what "gross" means...all money generated from the tour. Duh!

And as for how many seats are sold at a particular venue...THAT is up to the venue itself...not the band. I'm sure the Stones were trying to get some venues to open up more seating...you know why??? So they could have sold more tickets, and made more money!!!

This is the second largest grossing tour of all time. They only trail....themselves. I think that is amazing considering all the arena and theatre shows they did.

I'm gonna give you some advice jb...pro bono. It is better to keep one's mouth shut and appear to be retarded, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
12-01-03 12:06 PM
jb Obviously I meant 02 and 03.....and if I was even the slightest bit concerned of what you, or anyone else thought of me, I would have left here a long time ago.
12-01-03 12:07 PM
Joey " and if I was even the slightest bit concerned of what you, or anyone else thought of me, I would have left here a long time ago. "

Jacky Cohl !

12-01-03 12:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
It is better to keep one's mouth shut and appear to be retarded, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Ain't that the truth!
12-01-03 12:31 PM
SHINE A LIGHT NUMBERS,NUMBERS,NUMBERS.....let's just let the stones play their numbers for us and be grateful!!
12-01-03 12:46 PM
Ten Thousand Motels yeah. NEW NUMBERS. Keith needs to prick his antennas. The Universe is filled with new Stones songs that haven't been written yet.
12-01-03 12:52 PM
glencar What an amazing set of numbers! But let's not think about it! Let's all be airheads!
12-01-03 12:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
What an amazing set of numbers! But let's not think about it! Let's all be airheads!

300 Million Dollars is a big number. Incomprehensibe to my airhead.
12-01-03 01:03 PM
glencar That was NOT in reference to your post.
12-01-03 01:06 PM
Boomy Who cares??

Next tour, the Stones will make more. They'll raise ticket prices so that only people 30+ will be able to afford them.

When they make the dvd for it, they'll put a couple of young people in the front row to make it look like 16 year olds are going to the shows. Just like they do now...
12-01-03 01:11 PM
SHINE A LIGHT yes, it's an amazingly, huge amount of money.i am able to comprehend that, but i'm in this thing for the music....and if perchance that brings in a bit of money for the stones, great.as for mr. cohl and his "deals"....well, he did bring them together after the bill graham bit.
12-01-03 01:19 PM
glencar The Stones should charge top dollar for the small theater shows.
Page: 1 2