ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Dublin, December 1993
Thanks Irina!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Updated Bockris Book on Keith at bn.com Return to archive
11-29-03 11:57 PM
prism bn.com (Barnes & Noble) has the new updated Bockris biography of Keith including the past decade. The cover is green, a photo of Keith during the Love You Live photo sessions where he's taking a bite out of someone. Who is he biting? Mick or Ron? I don't have the book yet, just ordered it.
11-30-03 05:18 PM
SHINE A LIGHT how much does it cost???? i have just spent soooooooo much money on keith books.....BUT, i think i really NEED this one. the first bockris book is wonderful. please inform, thanks.
12-01-03 06:38 AM
prism Its only $16. Go to bn.com and search for Keith Richards or Victor Bockris.
12-01-03 08:38 AM
SHINE A LIGHT perfect, thanks kindly!!!
12-03-03 10:35 AM
Martha Thanks for the heads up on the new addition to Victor's book, prism. I live in the sticks and would prolly never learn of this otherwise. I am on the hunt for it now!

<-----------------------Yeah, run out and get yourself a copy everyone.
12-03-03 01:36 PM
gypsy I have them both. The new one catches up on Keith's life with Patti and the girls...a lot of interesting info. The new edition also contains bigger, better, and a few different pictures. A must for every Keith fan. There is also a small Keith book by Stanley Booth that I bought less than a year ago. It is also very good, as Booth is a great writer who really admires Keith.
Try half.com before you try ebay...it's much cheaper, and usually arrives quicker.
12-03-03 01:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Borkis book was kind of good but that "family man" stuff is a bit much. Kind of a slow bio. No meat...all potatoes.
Thats okay I guess. (Its been awhile since I read it so I'd better not comment too much LOL)
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
12-03-03 09:57 PM
SHINE A LIGHT is there a REAL portrayal of keith out there? i suspect not, so i read 'em all,criss-cross and compare.
the one which is most "valuable" to me is the genesis publications one called "exile", by dominique tarle.
by value, i mean it cost a great deal and it is a collector's piece.
an added bit, stanley booth is friend of keith and his book "standing in the shadow" comes as close to the real thing as one can find.....again, i suspect?? do i believe every single word? gimme a break!!
12-03-03 10:17 PM
gypsy What the heck else do you guys want out of a Keith bio?
Oh, yeah. You probably want some kind of confession regarding Brian's mysterious death.
12-03-03 10:18 PM
stonedinaustralia as great as stanley's "true adventures" is i always felt his keith bio (here entitled "til i roll over dead" was a bit "half-baked" - there were some fresh insights but it was erratic and selective in its presentation of the story

i've heard that stanley did a fairly quick job on this (and it shows) however he apparently recieved little reward (apart from critical kudos) for "adventures" and the keith bio, 'tho quickly done and without half the effort or artistry of "adventures", resulted in a reasonable pay day

to which one could only say "fair enough"
12-04-03 01:25 AM
Sunflower I just finished reading the updated version...wasn't too bad. But I was expecting more of an actual 'update' than was written...the new section of the book was a bit condensed without much detail I thought.

Just my two cents....oh, and here in Canada the price was $28.00 plus tax.
12-04-03 01:42 AM
Diedre God, I hate the Bockris book. I don't know how anyone can like Keith Richards after reading that thing. By the time I got done, I started to think, "If the guy would have OD'd, oh, well..." That's not really a good thing, to have your biography have that kind of effect.

Outside of that, it's just badly done. A lot of junk stitched together. No cohesive overview, a lot of contradictions. Bockris swallowed a lot of garbage hook, line, and sinker, and reiterates it in breathless fashion. I'm not sure what his point was.

No, there will not be a "good" bio written about Keith. Ever. Not while the guy's alive and can sue. There's too much to hide, and it's not about drugs, either. That's fine. Keep it that way. I'd rather read about the musical part.

I paid 99 cents for the Bockris bio, used, and I feel I paid too much.
12-04-03 09:36 AM
SHINE A LIGHT to sunflower, thanks for the update. if it's not that great, i'll pypass this one. for me, these books are what mick j calls "beach reading" as my profession requires that i plug through the classics.....they are great reading.
by the by, right now i'm reading Charles Dickens' "Great Expectations"...there's a character named "jaggers" and i'm wondering if "no expectations" is the stones' response to Dickens???
12-04-03 09:43 AM
glencar Anybody ever read the Barbara Charone bio of Keith?
12-04-03 12:07 PM
SHINE A LIGHT yes, i have that book. now, it's been many years since i've read it, but if memory serves, i think it was quite good.remember, barbara carone was one of the few people allowed to see keith/speak with him during his 1977 "situation" in toronto. from what i have seen out there, the charone book is fair and truthful.
12-04-03 12:54 PM
Joey " Anybody ever read the Barbra Charone bio of Keith? "

No !
12-04-03 03:34 PM
gypsy I have the Charone book. Joey, come to me tonight, and I shall read a passage to you.
12-04-03 03:55 PM
Joey " I have the Charone book. Joey, come to me tonight, and I shall read a passage to you. "

Oh , Happy Happy Joey !!!!!!!!!

Can we invite Paris over too ................?!?!?!?!

I really do believe that the two of you will hit it off ........................................

Developing .......

For Baby : " Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacky !
12-04-03 04:50 PM
Joey

Gypsy , you are like a fine wine : Clean, ripe, flirtatious and, in the short term at least, disarmingly voluptuous -- the WonderBra of a wine. Let's stretch a bottle of Cabernet out over the weekend, alternately enjoying it as a simple aperitif, with a cashew/mushroom pate, and with cheeses.

Fresh and fruity, a little bit cheeky, very sexy, and though refreshingly unpretentious, you are indeed quality stuff......................... as they used to say on Juke Box Jury, you got a beat and you can dance to it.

-- Thank You

The Jacky !