ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Dublin, December 1993
Thanks Irina!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: CL - not bad on backup vocals Return to archive
11-25-03 11:25 AM
T&A on several songs on b-stage his b/u vocals are quite noticeable in the mix on FF. He actually does a very nice job - particularly on starfucker. Anyone else notice? Hey, I realize I'll probably get lynched for saying anything good about the much maligned Chuckster. I realize many of you need a whipping boy....
11-25-03 11:30 AM
KeithRichards210 Chuck can sing all he wants-but TURN DOWN THAT DAMN PIANO!!!!
11-25-03 11:51 AM
jb CL seemingly permeates every aspect of the music...I know it's b/c they "need" him, but it is quite sad to see how incapable they have become.
[Edited by jb]
11-25-03 12:14 PM
KeithRichards210 I have to disagree, Josh. The Stones do NOT need Chuck. They just need to turn UP the guitars and shitcan the side acts. They'd be fine.
11-25-03 12:27 PM
jb They just need Mick Taylor.
11-25-03 12:29 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
jb wrote:
They just need Mick Taylor.

Now THAT I'd go for...
11-25-03 12:56 PM
glencar He's the guy choosing the set lists, right? Keep him. Just treat him like Fonzie & let him think he's "really" playing!
11-25-03 02:45 PM
marko he don�t choose the set list,he works it out with Mick,he
has to sing the songs.They do show the list for keith&ronnie.
But chuck looks like a fucking poodle.
11-25-03 03:13 PM
Monkey Woman Wrong board for you, Mr Yun. Try and find a G'n'R board, you'll be more than wellcome there!
11-25-03 03:15 PM
glencar No more Mick Taylor. He couldn't even show up for sound check on time.
11-25-03 03:15 PM
stewed & Keefed Yes Yun go there now
11-25-03 03:19 PM
Moonisup T&A

you got it

chuck will take over mick too,
11-25-03 03:24 PM
Monkey Woman Welcome Chuck Leavell and his Rolling Stones? LOL
But I agree with TTM: a kick in the ass once in a while is good to put them on their toes.

"Butterflies on their toes, I like!" (Keith in Tip Of The Tongue)
11-25-03 05:19 PM
UGot2Rollme I only wish there was an option on FF to do a "viewer mixing board" because I would have Chuck so low that even my dog couldn't hear him.
11-25-03 05:46 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
I only wish there was an option on FF to do a "viewer mixing board" because I would have Chuck so low that even my dog couldn't hear him.

I'd like to take that a step further and turn him OFF on the main mixing board to begin with.
11-26-03 12:26 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
KeithRichards210 wrote:
I have to disagree, Josh. The Stones do NOT need Chuck. They just need to turn UP the guitars and shitcan the side acts. They'd be fine.

although i'd prefer you were right KR210 i must agree with jb - sadly, it seems, they do "need" him - his ascendancy to power followed from the dirty work era(aka WWIII)and is, imho, due to the fact that neither keith nor mick will allow the other the "complete control" of the band - so cl is there as a living compromise between the two

a good example of his role is the question of tempos - i'm sure you've heard the anecdote about mick always trying to speed numbers up while keith would attempt to slow them down - solution have a third party count them in

this also applies to those things that keith used to handle like cueing the move to a bridge/middle eight or bringing a vamped ending to a conclusion - now, it appears, these things are all part of chuck's "job description"

having said that I agree with your sentiments but unfortunately i don't think they square away with the "reality" of the band today

this post was done in a hurry so i hope you get my drift....

11-26-03 02:39 AM
Moonisup
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

this also applies to those things that keith used to handle like cueing the move to a bridge/middle eight or bringing a vamped ending to a conclusion - now, it appears, these things are all part of chuck's "job description"

that's true, if you look at older setlists from the VL or BTB tour, some songs mention at tempo: KR, wich means keith controls the tempo, ending, etc. now he does only his own songs, that's a good example of what Chuck does. HE also makes the first setlist, and then mick adjusts it!

Rik
11-28-03 06:22 PM
gotdablouse The real problem with CL is his TASTELESS plink/plonking on the piano, he's got the most pedestrian, elevator style playing I've ever heard. Nicky Hopkins on the other hand cut put piano all over the place and make it sound great. Too bad he's dead :-(

I was absolutely HORRIFIED the other day when I heard Chukster's piano all over Jumping Jack Flash on MSG. A good thing they don't have When the Whip (heard it in Oakland), because that's got to be the absolute nadir of his production. A disgrace to the keys. On the other hand his organ playing is much less annoying, wouldn't that be enough to fill the gaps?
11-29-03 01:59 AM
souldoggie I've ALWAYS liked piano in my rock 'n roll. Even more so the last year or two. Sometimes it's my favorite part.
11-29-03 06:44 AM
gotdablouse "in my rock n roll" ? You mean in IORR? Yeah it's ok in there, it just doesn't F$#$#($ beling on JJF or on WWTWCDown!

Doesn't change the fact that Nicky's piano playing was thrillingly tasteful and Chuck is pathetically tasteless! Again though Chuck has the rather significant advantage of not being dead...
11-30-03 12:26 PM
T&A Well - I actually really like Chuck's playing. So sue me...
11-30-03 01:49 PM
Moonisup
quote:
T&A wrote:
Well - I actually really like Chuck's playing. So sue me...

done
11-30-03 02:57 PM
T&A ...and obviously Mick & Keith do too, and their taste is better than yours or mine...so sue them, too...
11-30-03 04:23 PM
Moonisup
quote:
T&A wrote:
...and obviously Mick & Keith do too, and their taste is better than yours or mine...so sue them, too...

done

Rakker!
12-02-03 04:07 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
T&A wrote:
and their taste is better than yours or mine...so sue them, too...

Their taste in what?

Alex
12-02-03 10:58 AM
T&A uh...music?

Stu, Nicky, Billy, Mac. All great, right? Well, what are we insinuating, that suddenly they lost their hearing when they hired Chuck? I don't theeeeenk sooo....
12-02-03 10:59 AM
glencar I have to play JJF from MSG again. That's the second negative description of it I've seen in 2 days.
12-04-03 11:51 AM
Pattie
Mac, bring him back!
12-04-03 09:06 PM
gotdablouse Chuck's got something on Mick and Keith, what it is I don't know, but to get away with the tasteless s*(# he plays on stage, there's gotta be something.

It's impossible that Mick and Keith can't hear that putting honky tonk piano on JJF or When the Whip is a disgrace to these songs and music in general.

One one of the biggest mysteries in recent history, throw me a bone, give me a clue!
12-04-03 09:48 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
T&A wrote:

Stu, Nicky, Billy, Mac. All great, right? Well, what are we insinuating, that suddenly they lost their hearing when they hired Chuck? I don't theeeeenk sooo....

no i don't think so either - and i don't dislike all of chuck's playing myself - he has his moments

but T&A, 'tho they didn't lose their hearing - as i said above - chuck is a walking compromise - i'd say (and of course i'm only speculating) that if keith or mick had the say on their own it's quite possible CL wouldn't get the gig

i mean, keith (and again i speculate) may have said "i want mac back" or "let's give the gig to ivan neville"...mick would have his preferences too i'm sure...but as i said it seems neither keith or mick wanted to give the other the satisfaction of calling that shot...hence a compromise is the only solution...

hell, i don't know...

also it's not just "playing" ability that seems to count here but also the abilty to act as "musical director"

sad we mention all this with the anniversary of stu's passing coming up...