ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!
ABKCO SUCKS!!

Trying to stop thief Allen Klein from releasing unfinished Rolling Stones material.
April 16, 1984
© The Bettmann Archives
Click here to know more how ABKCO is stealing not just the Stones and many others, but also the fans!!
Please--- Add your own comments!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Led Zeppelin To Tour In 2008 -- With The Cult? Return to archive Page: 1 2
21st November 2007 08:28 PM
Nellcote Cult singer announces that band is opening tour for Zeppelin -- during club show in Cincinnati! -- reps for both bands offer no comment.

By Gil Kaufman

CINCINNATI — It was one of those moments where all you can do is look at the guy next to you and wonder, "Did he really just say that?"

Is it possible that Ian Astbury, lead singer of '80s rock powerhouse the Cult, spilled the beans on the biggest secret in rock — during a club show in Cincinnati?

"We'll be back next year," a breathless Astbury said midway through the band's gig at Bogart's nightclub Saturday night. "Because we're opening for a band you may have heard of ... the name starts with an 'L' and has a 'Z' in it." Stunned looks bounced around the room until one sweat-drenched superfan shouted out the obvious: "Led Zeppelin!" Astbury, his eyes hidden behind dark shades, nodded affirmatively and stuck his hand in the air triumphantly before plowing into one of the band's signature Zeppelinesque rockers.

When asked about Astbury's seeming confirmation of the world tour, spokespeople for the Cult and Zeppelin both declined to comment. Zeppelin's spokesperson added that no decision has been made on any Led Zeppelin tour and the band is focusing on its appearance at the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert in London on December 10; a Cult spokesperson declined to answer questions about Astbury's comment.

It's no secret that the three living members of Zeppelin — singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and long-estranged bassist John Paul Jones — will be performing together for the first time in many years at the December 10 show, which celebrates their mentor, late Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun. But so far, despite breathless speculation, the one-off gig — which was recently rescheduled from its original November 26 date after Page injured his finger — is the only official reunion show the trio has planned.

Spokespeople for the legendary group, who will perform with Jason Bonham, the son of late drummer John Bonham, have batted down rumors of a full-blown world tour — and as recently as last month, Plant said it was not in the cards. But Page suggested in an recent Guitar World magazine article that playing just one show would be foolish. "It's a bit silly not to because there is such massive demand," Page told the magazine. "It's a bit selfish to do just one show. If that's it, we probably shouldn't have taken the genie out of the bottle."

The group originally disbanded after John Bonham's death from alcohol poisoning in 1980. Plant, Page and Jones performed at Live Aid in 1985 (with Phil Collins and Chic's Tony Thompson tag-teaming on drums) and at the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary show in 1988 with Jason Bonham; they also performed at Jason's wedding. Page and Plant joined forces for two albums and a world tour in the mid-'90s and have performed together sporadically over the years.

Whether or not Astbury was speaking out of turn, the choice of the Cult as a potential opening act would make sense stylistically — given the huge debt the British band owes to Zeppelin — but perhaps less so given the band's lower profile in recent years.

It has been a hectic time in Zeppelinland lately, with a new two-disc best-of collection, Mothership, in stores last week, a recently launched all-Zeppelin XM satellite radio channel and the digital release of the band's catalog earlier this month, as well as the launch on Tuesday of the official ledzeppelin.com website.

Additionally, Page revealed in a recent Reuters interview that the group has plans to uncork a never-before-performed live song during the O2 show, though he would not specify what the "really intense" track would be. He also recently told the BBC that the group met in private for some practice sessions before committing to the reunion gig to make sure they were on the same page. "We wanted to see how well we'd be playing together, and once we played it was without doubt we wanted to do it," he said.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1574740/20071120/led_zeppelin.jhtml#

"Have you seen the bridge? Where is that confounded bridge?"
21st November 2007 09:02 PM
Riffhard I've always said that this would happen eventually. When I heard about the XM Zep station it confirmed it in my mind. You may recall that this was the same exact MO for the Stones prior to the Licks tour. They launched an all Stones station on Sirrius and the tour was announced shortly thereafter.

As is always the case the bottom line is the bottom line. The cash that this tour would generate would be insane.

Riffy
21st November 2007 10:31 PM
pdog Insane doesn't even begin to describe the money... This would be like The Stones touring right now, with no tour since 1982.

22nd November 2007 02:18 AM
aladdinstory their first u.s. tour since '77, over 30 yrs, that's a long wait for fans, a zep tour would break all ticket sales and attendance records. the cult is a curious idea for an opening act, why do i think there will be a rick rubin connection to all of this (future zep producer?). makes me wonder if this "intense" never performed song is going to be carouselambra?
22nd November 2007 04:02 AM
corgi37 I used to really, really dig the Cult.
22nd November 2007 06:56 AM
FotiniD Can't wait
22nd November 2007 07:16 AM
Gazza
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
"We'll be back next year," a breathless Astbury said midway through the band's gig at Bogart's nightclub Saturday night. "Because we're opening for a band you may have heard of ... the name starts with an 'L' and has a 'Z' in it."

Not fuckin' Limp Bizkit again!
22nd November 2007 07:30 AM
guitarman53 If they go on tour fantastic!! here is a ticket stub from '74, I don't think the prices are going be anything like this.
22nd November 2007 09:45 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
If they go on tour fantastic!! here is a ticket stub from '74, I don't think the prices are going be anything like this.

Ahhh..so many great memories entering by the Church Street Door!..Zep tour will be huge but wont break ABB gross record cause these guys wont have the stamina to keep it going long enough
22nd November 2007 12:20 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Ahhh..so many great memories entering by the Church Street Door!..Zep tour will be huge but wont break ABB gross record cause these guys wont have the stamina to keep it going long enough

If they have the stamina to play back to back nights then they won't have to go as long.
22nd November 2007 01:07 PM
mojoman isnt zep occult?
23rd November 2007 06:21 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Not fuckin' Limp Bizkit again!

Gazza, you are solid gold.

23rd November 2007 08:17 AM
Factory Girl Dates, Baby, I need Tour Dates!!!

I can't WAIT!!

P.S. I don't know too much about the Cult.
23rd November 2007 11:37 AM
TornAndFrayed
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
If they go on tour fantastic!! here is a ticket stub from '74, I don't think the prices are going be anything like this.

They didn´t tour in ´74, this ticket stub must be from 1971. Did you attend this show?
I have a great recording of this concert on CD-R. Shoot me a PM with your addy if you´re interested and I´ll mail it to you.
23rd November 2007 12:22 PM
Dan
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Dates, Baby, I need Tour Dates!!!

I can't WAIT!!

P.S. I don't know too much about the Cult.

They were good for a short time period (mid 80's to 1990)

Not sure if Page is up to a full tour, I was going to see him with the Black Crowes (and the Cult) but it was cancelled along with the rest of the tour due to a bad back.

23rd November 2007 12:58 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
TornAndFrayed wrote:

They didn´t tour in ´74, this ticket stub must be from 1971. Did you attend this show?
I have a great recording of this concert on CD-R. Shoot me a PM with your addy if you´re interested and I´ll mail it to you.

7th U.S. TOUR
19/08/1971 Vancouver, Canada
20/08/1971 Seattle, Washington
21/08/1971 The Forum, Inglewood, California
22/08/1971 The Forum, Inglewood, California
23/08/1971 Fort Worth, Texas
24/08/1971 Memorial Auditorium, Dallas, Texas
25/08/1971 Houston, Texas
26/08/1971 Municipal Auditorium, San Antonio, Texas
27/08/1971 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
28/08/1971 St. Louis, Missouri
29/08/1971 New Orleans, Louisiana
31/08/1971 Orlando, Florida
01/09/1971 Miami, Florida
02/09/1971 Hampton, Virginia (?)
02/09/1971 Pittsburg, Pennsylvania (?)
03/09/1971 Madison Square Garden, New York, New York
04/09/1971 Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Canada
05/09/1971 Chicago, Illinois
07/09/1971 Boston Gardens, Boston, Massachusetts
09/09/1971 Hampton, Virginia, Massachusetts
10/10/1971 War Memorial Auditorium, Syracuse, New York
11/10/1971 War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, New York
13/09/1971 Berkeley Community Center, Berkeley, California
14/09/1971 Berkeley Community Center, Berkeley, California
16/09/1971 Honolulu, Hawaii
17/09/1971 Honolulu, Hawaii

http://ledzeppelin.alexreisner.com/tourdates.html
23rd November 2007 02:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

As they havent toured since 1980, they can basically name their price.

What did the Stones gross - $550 million?

If they did 100 shows and grossed $5.5 million per night they can do it...especially as a high % of those gigs will probably be in the US. Thats an average ticket price of about $275 for a 20,000 seater arena or $110 for a 50,000 seater stadium (the tickets for the 02 show in 2 weeks time are all £125, which is about $260)

The demand would certainly be there, but I'm not so sure they really want to do a long tour. Plant has never appeared keen on touring with Zeppelin again AT ALL, so I'm quite surprised he's agreed to do this - if it's true.

Plus, I think he's going to tour with Alison Krauss soon anyway.
[Edited by Gazza]
23rd November 2007 02:46 PM
pdog Is it safe to say, with all the huge offers of tons of money over the years, that these guys aren't making any decisions based on that... which if true, is cool. So ,if they hit the road, it is more for art, than money... Then again, these guys have really bad luck, and I always wondered if they just are afraid... So much bad stuff has fucked up their tours.
23rd November 2007 03:33 PM
Poison Dart Page has hinted at coming up with some new music.
23rd November 2007 04:27 PM
Dan
quote:
pdog wrote:
Is it safe to say, with all the huge offers of tons of money over the years, that these guys aren't making any decisions based on that... which if true, is cool. So ,if they hit the road, it is more for art, than money... Then again, these guys have really bad luck, and I always wondered if they just are afraid... So much bad stuff has fucked up their tours.

I bet if they did it, it would be a small series of dates ala Garth Brooks or the Spice Girls and not a whole tour. Unless they are interested in smashing the record as a matter of personal ego, then it's on.

23rd November 2007 04:58 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Dan wrote:

I bet if they did it, it would be a small series of dates ala Garth Brooks or the Spice Girls and not a whole tour. Unless they are interested in smashing the record as a matter of personal ego, then it's on.

like donkey kong.
23rd November 2007 05:03 PM
MRD8 Does anybody on RO or any friends or family have tix for the O2 show?
23rd November 2007 05:13 PM
Gazza Dont know anyone who got one...but know lots of people who applied!
23rd November 2007 05:31 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Gazza wrote:
As they havent toured since 1980, they can basically name their price.

What did the Stones gross - $550 million?

If they did 100 shows and grossed $5.5 million per night they can do it...especially as a high % of those gigs will probably be in the US. Thats an average ticket price of about $275 for a 20,000 seater arena or $110 for a 50,000 seater stadium (the tickets for the 02 show in 2 weeks time are all £125, which is about $260)

The demand would certainly be there, but I'm not so sure they really want to do a long tour. Plant has never appeared keen on touring with Zeppelin again AT ALL, so I'm quite surprised he's agreed to do this - if it's true.

Plus, I think he's going to tour with Alison Krauss soon anyway.
[Edited by Gazza]

Billboard had an article about the possibility of a LZ tour earlier this year.
The numbers tossed about were impressive.

Posted on Tue, Jul. 31, 2007

Led Zeppelin tour in '08?
By Ray Waddell

It would be big. Potentially one of the biggest ever.
I'm talking, of course, about the increased chatter regarding a Led Zeppelin reunion tour for 2008 featuring founding members Robert Plant on vocals, Jimmy Page on guitar and John Paul Jones on bass, with Jason Bonham, son of the late Zep drummer John Bonham, manning the skins.

There has been no announcement that this tour is going to happen, and Plant has publicly denied it will take place. Billboard in general and myself in particular aren't usually in the rumor business. But this thing is starting to take on a certain air of reality. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

For years, a Led Zeppelin tour, or the closest thing to it in the absence of John Bonham, has been considered the holy grail of the touring world.

Plant and Page toured arenas together in the mid-'90s. With a killer backing band, the pair reported $31.4 million from 63 shows that drew 1,028,678 people. That was enough to make Plant/Page the seventh-grossing tour of the year at a time when the Rolling Stones, the Grateful Dead and the Eagles were all touring stadiums.

And remember, 1995 was the cusp of exploding ticket prices. A ticket price higher than $100 was rare; the Stones topped out most dates at $50 that year, the Dead were $33.50 tops and the Eagles had shattered the glass ceiling but were still mostly less than $100.

While the days of coast-to-coast stadium tours appear to be behind us, a Led Zeppelin tour will undoubtedly play scattered stadiums in North America and probably all stadiums in Europe. The tour would most likely be a creative "mix and match" route similar to what the Stones have done recently.

So let's be conservative and say Led Zeppelin averages $225 per ticket, with top seats at a Stones-esque $450 and a low end at $75. It's a big production, so you get an arena capacity of about 15,000 max. Say 5,000 tickets at $75, 5,000 at $200, 3,000 at $300 and 2,000 at $450, for the sake of discussion. That comes to a gross of $3.2 million for one night.

Suddenly those 1,028,678 headbangers Plant and Page played to in 1995 generate a gross of $231,452,550 in 2008. From those 63 shows the average gross is now $3.7 million, compared with slightly less than $500,000 per night then.

Given the status this tour would have and what it would take to get these guys out on the road, it's not unreasonable to assume the guarantee would be in the $3-million-per-night range. The merchandise numbers would be astronomical, $15 per head or better, so that brings in another $15.4 million minimum, with online sales bringing in plenty more. Plus, there no doubt would be some serious live DVD possibilities, not to mention there's talk of a new compilation release, and catalog sales at large would receive a terrific boost. Let's not forget VIP and fan-club packages, and a high- seven-figure sponsorship deal. And, hey, while we're at it, let's get them in the studio to record some new material under the Zep brand. Now that's big. *
24th November 2007 04:34 PM
LastChild
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Does anybody on RO or any friends or family have tix for the O2 show?

the lady i was sitting next to at the nyc ronnie book signing got 2 tickets.
[Edited by LastChild]
24th November 2007 06:02 PM
Joey " ..."We'll be back next year," a breathless Astbury said midway through the band's gig at Bogart's nightclub Saturday night. "Because we're opening for a band you may have heard of ... the name starts with an 'L' and has a 'Z' in it." Stunned looks bounced around the room until one sweat-drenched superfan shouted out the obvious: "Led Zeppelin!" Astbury, his eyes hidden behind dark shades, nodded affirmatively and stuck his hand in the air triumphantly before plowing into one of the band's signature Zeppelinesque rockers. "

I am NOW so excited that I am typing this with my penis .

24th November 2007 07:37 PM
Lethargy Led Zep kinda sucks, in my opinion. I mean they're not the worst group out there - not even close - but I wouldn't bother seeing them in 2008 that's for sure.
24th November 2007 10:37 PM
Dan
quote:
Joey wrote:
" ..."We'll be back next year," a breathless Astbury said midway through the band's gig at Bogart's nightclub Saturday night. "Because we're opening for a band you may have heard of ... the name starts with an 'L' and has a 'Z' in it." Stunned looks bounced around the room until one sweat-drenched superfan shouted out the obvious: "Led Zeppelin!" Astbury, his eyes hidden behind dark shades, nodded affirmatively and stuck his hand in the air triumphantly before plowing into one of the band's signature Zeppelinesque rockers. "

I am NOW so excited that I am typing this with my penis .

Are there any stadiums in Omaha?
24th November 2007 10:48 PM
pdog
quote:
Dan wrote:

Where do you think the Gay Pride has its Truck & Tractor Pull!!!
25th November 2007 03:50 PM
Joey
quote:
Dan wrote:

No , however Lincoln , NE has the Ninety - Thousand Seat University of Nebraska Memorial Stadium .

It is a good bet LZ will perform at the Arrowhead in Kansas City .

Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)