ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Tony Franks
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The 'Stones' are washed up and should retire Return to archive Page: 1 2
30th November 2006 06:11 PM
stones40 Re: Rolling Stones 'beat tour record'
« Reply #2 on Today at 12:03am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strange how all you hear by posters on Shidoobe/IORR/Rocks -Off is that the 'Stones' have only played to half empty arenas/stadiums.
Does 3.5m people at 110 shows suggest that that the 'Stones' are finally washed up and should retire.
After 40 years of touring is the attendance record not quite extra ordinary
and should be applauded rather than critised.
30th November 2006 06:14 PM
jostorm I suggest you stay off any related boards, convert to Catholicism and read "War and Peace"

Wanker!

Who gives a shit?

(applause, applause, applause.........)
30th November 2006 06:21 PM
stones40 Thanks jostorm for a most constructive reply.
30th November 2006 06:21 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
jostorm wrote:
I suggest you stay off any related boards, convert to Catholicism and read "War and Peace"

Wanker!

Who gives a shit?

(applause, applause, applause.........)

Hey Jo...
How are you?...Kinda late for you to be posting, isn't it? Hope you are well.

Got lots of meaningless threads going on around here..
30th November 2006 06:30 PM
Ten Thousand Motels No, the Stones aren't all washed up....but Meatloaf is....and Katie Couric.
30th November 2006 06:38 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

Got lots of meaningless threads going on around here..

See, this is what happens when there's no tour. All hell breaks loose. Not to mention those late-night calls from Keith.
We must get a grip!
30th November 2006 06:42 PM
Soldatti The thread's title makes no sense.
30th November 2006 06:44 PM
glencar Silly season!
30th November 2006 06:45 PM
Jakeb206 Washed Up!?!?!
How can people say that! 110 shows, sold over 3.5 million tickets and not counting the 2 million people in Reo! This tour is by far the biggest tour of all time! And its not over with! Who care if they are playing to half empty stadiums. A lot of those cities they played with "half empty" stadiums were the biggest shows in that cities history, i.e. Wichita & missuola, just to name a few. Who ever says the stones are washed up and should retire are ignorant. If i was a famous musician, I could only dream of being able to sell the massive amounts of tickets at the age of 60+.

Your arguments are not soild, they are just a bad opinion. If you can even say calling the stones "washed up" an opinion!
30th November 2006 06:46 PM
glencar I think he's saying that they're NOT washed up but he's tired of people around here saying that.
30th November 2006 06:48 PM
Jakeb206
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think he's saying that they're NOT washed up but he's tired of people around here saying that.

Just agreeing with him. Somewhat sick of hearing how people can say my favorite band is washed up and should retire. I just needed a good rant.
30th November 2006 06:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I think the Stones want to carry on at least a little while longer to build up their Social Security checks. Anything less than a cushy retirement just won't work for the Stones.
30th November 2006 07:09 PM
jostorm Hey, Meg!

Yes, I know, I should be in bed, but I got a bit weak listening to this woman crying over the phone about her vomiting parrot, (never mind the fact that it had been doing it since Monday and the silly cow waits for it to become an emergency in the middle of the night, silly cow!)so I dragged myself out of bed and drove thirty minutes to the surgery,seemingly only to be sort of stood up ....

I just knew that when I got offered the much-hyped option of having a family and a career I should have run for my life and married the first stupid rich man that comes along....oh well...I'll wait another twenty minutes and that's it....

And how are you , Meg ??? Suffering with the typical withdrawal symptoms ??? You better start saving up the moolah to hop over the pond next summer TO COME TO SOME OF OUR HALF-SOLD shows....(I can't believe the amount of stupid and vacuous threads around...)

30th November 2006 07:36 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jakeb206 wrote:
A lot of those cities they played with "half empty" stadiums were the biggest shows in that cities history, i.e. Wichita & missuola, just to name a few.

Those were actually two of the shows that sold well. It was the 'virgin' markets where they had the most success.
30th November 2006 07:41 PM
Jakeb206
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Those were actually two of the shows that sold well. It was the 'virgin' markets where they had the most success.

Well, I guess I wrote that post wrong. I really meant to say that Wichita and Missula were the biggest shows in their cities history. Not that they were undersold.
30th November 2006 08:08 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
jostorm wrote:
Hey, Meg!

Yes, I know, I should be in bed, but I got a bit weak listening to this woman crying over the phone about her vomiting parrot, (never mind the fact that it had been doing it since Monday and the silly cow waits for it to become an emergency in the middle of the night, silly cow!)so I dragged myself out of bed and drove thirty minutes to the surgery,seemingly only to be sort of stood up ....

I just knew that when I got offered the much-hyped option of having a family and a career I should have run for my life and married the first stupid rich man that comes along....oh well...I'll wait another twenty minutes and that's it....

And how are you , Meg ??? Suffering with the typical withdrawal symptoms ??? You better start saving up the moolah to hop over the pond next summer TO COME TO SOME OF OUR HALF-SOLD shows....(I can't believe the amount of stupid and vacuous threads around...)

Find me an old rich Sugar Daddy to bank roll my trip and I'll come over to the half empty shows to see the has-been Stones and meet you!!

Vomiting Parrot--is that considered a "pet emergency"? Oh what a mess that would be to clean up!!

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
30th November 2006 08:37 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

See, this is what happens when there's no tour. All hell breaks loose. Not to mention those late-night calls from Keith.
We must get a grip!

Oh, I am sure you can handle it GTRM!!!

And I bet you are loving those late night calls from Keith!!!
30th November 2006 11:02 PM
GotToRollMe He's actually extremely engaging...except when he starts talking about Mick. Then he starts making these unintelligible noises and all I can make out are the odd "fucking wanker" and "arr arr arr." Wotta kidder!
30th November 2006 11:56 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Thought the entire fall tour was poorly planned with the emphasis being stictly the bottom line $$$$$. Why were the STONES playing in frigid weather conditions???? Why were 60+ year old men playing in half empty outdoor stadiums in cities across the US experiencing downpours of rain followed by frightful gusts of winds rattling their bones reminding them they are no longer young with Keith's fingers numbed with pain; Ronnie in agony; Mick's vocal chords shattered????

Again, it was all about the bottom line $$$$. What rarely get mentioned is that most of those half empty stadiums were played in cities which had already seen multiple STONES shows, including filled up stadium ones, within the space of a year. With limited concession to ticket prices, there's a limit to what people are willing to pay in oversaturated markets especially in places where many had already seen a STONES stadium show within the last year. While the hardcore may continue to come, the casual fans in oversaturated markets such as these seem to have made a bottom line decision of their own.

In contrast the so called "virgin markets" did well with a genuine sense of excitement among many of the fans at seeing the STONES live.

[Edited by time is on my side]
1st December 2006 12:34 AM
glencar I've decided I'm not attending stadium shows if they pull that crap again next year. I actually didn't care that I was freezing in Chicago. It hurt to see those guys up there shivering. I think Mick was embarrassed that they were doing the show outdoors.
1st December 2006 12:58 AM
cantturnyouloose keith hasn't called so i'm not sure
1st December 2006 10:35 AM
GotToRollMe It's ok. I talked to him last night. Me, Keith and Tony are all going out for drinks later. Tony is on chiba detail today.
1st December 2006 11:49 AM
voodoopug
quote:
time is on my side wrote:

Thought the entire fall tour was poorly planned with the emphasis being stictly the bottom line $$$$$. Why were the STONES playing in frigid weather conditions???? Why were 60+ year old men playing in half empty outdoor stadiums in cities across the US experiencing downpours of rain followed by frightful gusts of winds rattling their bones reminding them they were no longer young with Keith's fingers numbed with pain; Ronnie in agony; Mick's vocal chords shattered????

Again, it was all about the bottom line $$$$. What rarely get mentioned is that most of those half empty stadiums were played in cities which had already seen multiple STONES shows, including filled up stadium ones, within the space of a year. With limited concession to ticket prices, there's a limit to what people are willing to pay in oversaturated markets especially in places where many had already seen a STONES stadium show within the last year. While the hardcore may continue to come, the casual fans in oversaturated markets such as these seem to have made a bottom line decision of their own.

In contrast the so called "virgin markets" did well with a genuine sense of excitement among many of the fans at seeing the STONES live.

as was stated several times, the jaunt back through NA was purely for tax purposes (a part of me thinks Jagger and to a lesser extent Ronnie and Keith don't know what to do with themselves if they are not working though). The tour was a success from that standpoint and the tour gross numbers did give them another victory; this is important to some fans and Cohl and Co as it will help Cohl secure future "major tours" from established acts.

although the empty stadiums were an embarrassment to true fans, they did shake up the setlists in saturated markets and did the two Beacon shows (although they were surely not without drama). We should be thankful for what they gave us, they owe us nothing and we must remember that. On many nights though the playing was no where near the "worlds greatest Rock and Roll Band" and they really must be careful to not tarnish their legacy much further.
1st December 2006 12:04 PM
marko
although the empty stadiums were an embarrassment to true fans, they did shake up the setlists in saturated markets and did the two Beacon shows (although they were surely not without drama). We should be thankful for what they gave us, they owe us nothing and we must remember that. On many nights though the playing was no where near the "worlds greatest Rock and Roll Band" and they really must be careful to not tarnish their legacy much further.

Well,your last lines says it,i personally feel,that they
should quit.As,to be honest,Keith is not going to get ANY
better.I´m fine with others,but Keith used to be the backbone of the band,not a clown who doesn´t know how to
play his own bloody songs.Even he is the coolest cat out
there,its still VERY painfull to watch him now.
1st December 2006 12:32 PM
Dan
quote:
although the empty stadiums were an embarrassment to true fans

I am never embarrassed by empty venues. If anything I am elated I don't have to wait in long lines to grab a beer and take a piss.

Also the biggest indication they pack it in is not because the band is washed up but because most of the people attending the shows are all washed up.

And Keith isn't getting any better? He was a lot better in L.A. than reports of previous shows led me to believe.
1st December 2006 12:42 PM
marko No,keith is NOT any better what he used to be,not even close to 1994-1995.Or even to licks.
1st December 2006 01:00 PM
Dan He was great at Dodger STadium. Sorry you saw all the wrong shows this tour.
1st December 2006 02:04 PM
voodoopug
quote:
marko wrote:

Well,your last lines says it,i personally feel,that they
should quit.As,to be honest,Keith is not going to get ANY
better.I´m fine with others,but Keith used to be the backbone of the band,not a clown who doesn´t know how to
play his own bloody songs.Even he is the coolest cat out
there,its still VERY painfull to watch him now.

It can be painful to watch him at times as I tend to feel bad for him. We have to understand that there are many fans out there that will proclaim that the last dump that Keith took was the most intense dump he has ever taken and he will only get better......too many drinkers of the Cohl Cool Aid.

I did enjoy the tour though, but not as much as I enjoyed Licks.
1st December 2006 04:25 PM
Saint Sway Pug,

I do not believe you attended any meaningful shows from which you can make an honest judgement about either Keith's playing or the tour itself.

however, I will consider you an expert on shows under horrendous weather conditions and heavy tarpage (see: Chicago/Louisville). And will consult you if needed on either subject

until then, please concentrate your underwhelming efforts to other boards and not here (See: Stonesdoug, PJ, U2, Wholesale Chemicals and Wrestling Message Boards)

TIA
1st December 2006 06:32 PM
robpop Michael Richards's pug.

[Edited by robpop]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)