ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Tony Franks
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Muddy Waters vs. Howlin' Wolf Return to archive
29th November 2006 12:19 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Me...Howlin' Wolf. The Wolf tends to get me up and rocking while Muddy tends to put me sleep.
29th November 2006 12:23 PM
Riffhard Two sides of the same coin. There is no way I'm gonna pick either one over the other. I'd add John Lee Hooker to that list as well. Those are my favorites of the old Blues masters. There are many others on the list though.

Riffy
29th November 2006 12:25 PM
gimmekeef Close call....depends on mood....but I think the Wolf has an edge about him....Hubert Sumlins guitar perhaps?
29th November 2006 12:28 PM
gustavobala i choose: BOTH

thanxs !
29th November 2006 12:35 PM
Nellcote Muddy, however, it is tough.
Only got to see Muddy, so that's my line in the sand.
I sing Wolf around the house, my kids howl!
29th November 2006 12:36 PM
steel driving hammer Wolf, only because he had more character, well maybe his music too.

How about Maul PcCartney vs Elton John, lol.
29th November 2006 12:37 PM
playguitar Muddy is a direct musical descendant of Robert Johnson... electrified delta music, the origins of Chicago Blues. The Wolf is pure Chicago Blues, especially with the urban guitar of Hubert. I love them both.
29th November 2006 12:50 PM
Saint Sway Cant go wrong with either. But if I had to choose I'd go with Wolf. Oh those pipes!
29th November 2006 12:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Cant go wrong with either. But if I had to choose I'd go with Wolf. Oh those pipes!

Agree with all of that.
29th November 2006 01:04 PM
jpenn11
quote:
playguitar wrote:
Muddy is a direct musical descendant of Robert Johnson... electrified delta music

Interesting--the reports are that Wolf played with Robert Johnson though "musical descendancy" may come in other ways . . . Certainly fun and all that can be found from both.

Is that Veronica Lake??
29th November 2006 02:27 PM
playguitar
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

Interesting--the reports are that Wolf played with Robert Johnson though "musical descendancy" may come in other ways . . . Certainly fun and all that can be found from both.

Is that Veronica Lake??

Who's afraid of Veronica Lake?... Don't know her mate.
I don't think either Wolf or Muddy played with Robert Johnson. I could be wrong. I know Johnny Shines and Honeyboy Edwards did. Wish I had been a guitar player in the Chicago of the 50's. That was quite the era of coolness !!
29th November 2006 04:03 PM
mrhipfl I like them both, too. Wolf's got the voice, but man, Waters is a beast on the guitar. His slide guitar playing is so awesome. And I agree that Hooker should be added to the list. He's badass. And B.B. King, too! He's amazing with Lucille.
29th November 2006 04:19 PM
playguitar
How do you "John Lee Hooker" someone ?

Why, you just play some 13 bar blues !
30th November 2006 12:13 AM
jpenn11
quote:
playguitar wrote:

Who's afraid of Veronica Lake?... Don't know her mate.

I don't think either Wolf or Muddy played with Robert Johnson. I could be wrong.

Lake is the 30s/40s actress in steel driving hammer's pix.

Howlin Wolf seems to have gotten his "voice" from Charlie Patton, but there are various reports of his having played with R Johnson. The wikipedia.org is an easily accessible resource for this. Other sources abound . . .
30th November 2006 12:48 AM
playguitar
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

Howlin Wolf seems to have gotten his "voice" from Charlie Patton, but there are various reports of his having played with R Johnson. The wikipedia.org is an easily accessible resource for this. Other sources abound . . .

Now you've got me all excited ! I will definitely have to research this. It would be interesting to see where they met up. I heard Johnny Shines say that he,[Shines] travelled with Johnson to New York and the North. And yeah Muddy could sure shake that slide.
30th November 2006 01:20 AM
glencar
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

Lake is the 30s/40s actress in steel driving hammer's pix.

I remember when she died back in the late 70's. Alcoholic, I think. She was famed for her peekabo haircut & her promiscuity.
30th November 2006 01:21 AM
glencar Oh & I choose Muddy.
30th November 2006 05:18 AM
Mathijs Muddy Waters by a mile. Waters always had a far better bvand behind him (especially the harp players) and he had way better songs, and more of them.

Wolf is great, but has limited output of high quality. And Muddy had a true comeback, with one of the best albums of his entire carreer (Hard Again with the mind blowing James Cotton and I'm Ready with Jimmy Rogers).

Wolf is great, but Muddy Waters is king.

Mathijs
30th November 2006 06:08 AM
Zack
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Muddy Waters by a mile. Waters always had a far better bvand behind him (especially the harp players) and he had way better songs, and more of them.

Wolf is great, but has limited output of high quality. And Muddy had a true comeback, with one of the best albums of his entire carreer (Hard Again with the mind blowing James Cotton and I'm Ready with Jimmy Rogers).

Mathijs

You are 100% correct, sir.
30th November 2006 07:38 AM
nappyrags 'nuff said...
30th November 2006 07:44 AM
Nellcote Muddy Sings Wolf...

30th November 2006 03:48 PM
prodigalson the wolf was from the delta...charlie patton taught him things on the guitar, tommy johnson also showed him some things, he played with robert johnson and willie brown in his youth he then later went to chicago...i pick the wolf.
30th November 2006 10:44 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Muddy Waters by a mile. Waters always had a far better band behind him (especially the harp players) and he had way better songs, and more of them.

Mathijs

Always been a huge Muddy Waters fan. He'll always be the king of the blues for me. Though I wouldn't necessarily use the word mile, the rest is a fairly accruate description of the two at least from my own perspective.
1st December 2006 10:56 AM
kovach Met "Little Howlin' Wolf" in Memphis this fall, one of his kids, sounds just like his old man, has a good band.
2nd December 2006 12:48 AM
Bitch Muddy Waters. Saw him play a long time ago, the man's got the blues deep down to his heart and soul!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)