ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Tony Franks
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Origins of YCAGWYW Return to archive
29th November 2006 04:17 AM
corgi37 Dont know if this is true or not. Seems mighty odd. Never heard this before. Got it from Wikipedia.
Several urban legends persist about the origin of this song, much like with You're So Vain. The most prominent among the stories is that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were in Muncie, Indiana for a concert at Ball State University in April 1968, (coincidentally two days before Robert F. Kennedy's appearance in Muncie on the day of Martin Luther King Jr's assassination). Mick and Keith stopped by Brown's Pharmacy and Soda Fountain in Muncie before the concert. According to legend, Mick ordered a Cherry Coke from John Birkemeier, a Ball State student employed at the counter. Birkemeier told Mick that they did not have any Cherry Coke available. Mick couldn't believe it and Birkemeier replied "you can't always get what you want" supposedly inspiring the famous song. Lending credibility to this tale is the fact that to this day, whenever The Rolling Stones appear in his area, John Birkemeier receives free tickets and a limo ride to the concert. It has also been said that this exchange occurred between Mick Jagger and a man named Jimmy in Excelsior, Minnesota when the Rolling Stones were performing at the now-defunct Excelsior Amusement Park.

29th November 2006 06:09 AM
Philip If true, even though I dont believe any of it, they must have been there to watch a concert as the stones didn't tour in 1968.
[Edited by Philip]
29th November 2006 09:21 AM
mojoman david letterman went to ball state
29th November 2006 09:32 AM
glencar What's with "Chelsea drugstore" then?
29th November 2006 09:37 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think that actually sounds like a credible story. Mick must've got his inspiration from somewhere. Why not this?
29th November 2006 09:40 AM
glencar The book I have says the song was possibly written as a taunt by Mick towards Keith in re the Mick/Anita liaison on the Performance set. And Jimmy refers to either Hendrix or Miller.
29th November 2006 10:31 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Dont know if this is true or not. Seems mighty odd. Never heard this before. Got it from Wikipedia.
Several urban legends persist about the origin of this song, much like with You're So Vain. The most prominent among the stories is that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were in Muncie, Indiana for a concert at Ball State University in April 1968, (coincidentally two days before Robert F. Kennedy's appearance in Muncie on the day of Martin Luther King Jr's assassination). Mick and Keith stopped by Brown's Pharmacy and Soda Fountain in Muncie before the concert. According to legend, Mick ordered a Cherry Coke from John Birkemeier, a Ball State student employed at the counter. Birkemeier told Mick that they did not have any Cherry Coke available. Mick couldn't believe it and Birkemeier replied "you can't always get what you want" supposedly inspiring the famous song. Lending credibility to this tale is the fact that to this day, whenever The Rolling Stones appear in his area, John Birkemeier receives free tickets and a limo ride to the concert. It has also been said that this exchange occurred between Mick Jagger and a man named Jimmy in Excelsior, Minnesota when the Rolling Stones were performing at the now-defunct Excelsior Amusement Park.

SORRY, BUT THAT IS AS STUPID AS ANYTHING IAN BILLEN HAS EVER POSTED..BALL STATE,INDIANA 1968 INDEED!!
29th November 2006 04:22 PM
Soldatti The lyrics are by Mick & Anita.
29th November 2006 04:40 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The lyrics are by Mick & Anita.

When I watch Rolling Stone Circus, he looks like he is singing it at her and not to her. Almost like he is f'ing with her or something.

Oh crap, that's Marrianne (sp?)
[Edited by TampabayStone]
29th November 2006 04:46 PM
Saint Sway I read a story in some Stones book - (so you know its probably also bullshit) - that Mick & Keith spent the afternoon drinking in a pub and came into the studio falling over each other laughing and singing the chorus
30th November 2006 10:42 AM
MidnightRambler
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
I thought I read/heard in some interview that "Mr. Jimmy" was Keith's gardener or estate hand?

Well if that's true...Keith is lucky to have such inspiring helping hands as he claims that the name "Jumpin Jack Flash" was derived from his gardener who's name was Jack.

Mick and Keith were dozing off when they heard loud footsteps. Startled by the noise, Mick asked Keith what it was. Keith said it was "Jack...just leaping about..." Jumping Jack Flash was written right then.

The story is on Four Flicks in the commentary.
30th November 2006 11:42 AM
Highwire Rob Hey, here's something interesting from Stonesdoug I found on the Web:

http://experts.about.com/q/Rolling-Stones-578/t-want-source.htm
30th November 2006 11:45 AM
glencar So it's all a lie!
30th November 2006 04:02 PM
speedfreakjive I think it was written in Brazil???
on a ranch where they wrote Honky Tonk Woman , or in a resort in Italy i forget the name of, or in the in Chelsea London.
30th November 2006 04:23 PM
glencar Are you sure?
30th November 2006 04:33 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
glencar wrote:
Are you sure?

yeah - one of the 3
30th November 2006 04:34 PM
glencar Well, I guess that's definite in some minds.
30th November 2006 06:38 PM
Soldatti
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

When I watch Rolling Stone Circus, he looks like he is singing it at her and not to her. Almost like he is f'ing with her or something.

Oh crap, that's Marrianne (sp?)
[Edited by TampabayStone]

I have read some interviews with Anita and she said that Mick and her did the lyrics one evening in Brazil.
1st December 2006 03:35 AM
Philip
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

I have read some interviews with Anita and she said that Mick and her did the lyrics one evening in Brazil.

But, the song was recorded in November 1968 or so, before they went to Brazil. And of course, they played it at the rock and roll circus which is also before they went to Brazil. :-()
1st December 2006 05:14 AM
corgi37 I thought it sounded like crap. I wonder if anyone can ring the dude who was supposed to be in the shop and gets free tix & a limo. Go on Yanks, he should be in the book.
1st December 2006 09:29 AM
glencar No sane person would travel to Minnesota at this time of year.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)