ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Gypsy!!
Toyota Center - Houston, TX, December 1, 2005
© 2005 Courtesy of Wenn with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Thousands line streets to say farewell to Best Return to archive
December 3rd, 2005 10:14 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Thousands line the streets to say farewell to Best
(Filed: 03/12/2005)
Telegraph

A tearful Calum Best broke down as he read a poem written in honour of his father, the Manchester United and Northern Ireland hero George Best, at his funeral in Stormont's Great Hall.

Choking back tears, he read the lines which promised: "We won't forget our Belfast boy", and ended: "Farewell our friend, but not goodbye."

About 300 family, friends and leading figures from the worlds of sport, entertainment and politics had gathered in the Stormont Parliament Buildings to pay tribute to Calum's father, George.

Outside, emotions ran high as a 32,000-strong crowd gathered in the damp and cold grounds of Stormont to watch the ceremony relayed on giant screens.

The Northern Irish television personality Eamonn Holmes officiated at the ceremony.

He told mourners: "In a country that often cannot rise above religion and politics, George Best did more than most to bring us together as people to make us recognise that may be there is more that unites us than divides us."

There were also emotional tributes from Best's sister Barbara McNarry, his friend and Manchester United teammate Denis Law, and the medical staff who treated him in London's Cromwell Hospital as he fought his final illness.

Among the mourners were Peter Hain, the Northern Ireland Secretary, the Irish Sports Minister John O'Donoghue and many Northern Ireland politicians including Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness, the Democratic Unionist deputy leader Peter Robinson and his wife Iris, and the Progressive Unionist leader, David Ervine.

From the world of sport, Manchester United's Sir Alex Ferguson, the England manager Sven Goran Eriksson, the boxers Barry McGuigan and Dave McAuley and Alex Higgins and Dennis Taylor, both former world snooker champions, attended.

Honoured as royalty: thousands paid tribute

Earlier, Best's coffin, draped in the Northern Ireland flag, was carried out of his father's home on the Cregagh estate for the start of a three-mile long funeral procession to Stormont's Parliament Buildings.

Best's father, son Calum, four sisters and one brother accompanied the coffin for a send-off unlike any funeral Northern Ireland had ever seen.

Thousands lined the funeral route from the Best family home to Stormont.

Flags flew at half mast in Parliament Buildings - an honour only accorded to Royalty before.

Among the wreaths placed at the foot of Parliament Buildings were tributes from Tony Blair and the Government, from the Irish Taoiseach Bertie Ahern and from his former clubs Manchester United and Hibernian.

White roses were sent by the Duke of York with this tribute: "An inspirational footballer from Northern Ireland whose skills captured the imagination of fans from around the world."

However as he embarked on his last journey through Belfast to Roselawn Cemetery where he will be buried alongside his mother Ann, the focus of the ceremony switched to the Best family circle.

Calum's mother, and George's first wife, Angie, touched the coffin as it left the marble Great Hall of Parliament Buildings.

His second wife, Alex also paid her last respects.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
December 3rd, 2005 01:20 PM
Honky Tonk Man Thanks for posting this Ten Thousand Motels.

Looking at all the photos in the paper, it was obvsiously quite an event.

Gazza was there!
December 3rd, 2005 03:58 PM
charlotte Final farewell to football legend
People applaud as the coffin passes by

Northern Ireland football legend George Best has been laid to rest after an emotional funeral service at Stormont in Belfast.
Tens of thousands of mourners applauded along the route to Parliament Buildings where the service was held.

Some of the biggest names in football attended, including Best's lifelong friend Denis Law and Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Best, 59, was buried beside his mother Ann at Roselawn Cemetery.

At Stormont, the crowd threw flowers and football shirts onto the hearse.

The police said an estimated 75,000 to 100,000 were on the streets and at Stormont for the funeral.

Speaking afterwards, George's son Calum said it had been a sad, but also an amazing and unbelievable day.

A private blessing was earlier held at the family home in Cregagh.

Before a minute's silence at Stormont, a lone piper played a lament and the coffin was then carried into Parliament Buildings.

What mere mortal could do what he did on a pitch. Today we celebrate his life
Eamonn Holmes
TV presenter

Members of the Cregagh Boys' Football Club formed a guard of honour.

Former Northern Ireland manager Billy Bingham, international team-mates Derek Dougan, Peter McParland, Harry Gregg, Gerry Armstrong and Denis Law were the first to carry the coffin to the base of the Stormont steps.

At the request of the Best family, 10 members of the crowd were chosen at random to attend the ceremony.

One of those, James Potter, 69, from Dundonald, said: "I'm a Cregagh Road man and my brother played with George. This is fantastic, it's the greatest honour of my life."

Representatives of the government, sporting organisations, political parties and police were among the mourners.

Best, 59, was buried beside his mother Ann

They included England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, Chief Constable Sir Hugh Orde, Secretary of State Peter Hain, former snooker champions Denis Taylor and Alex Higgins and NI footballing great Martin O'Neill.
During the service, Calum Best, holding back tears, thanked everyone for the sympathies they had sent and read a poem he had been sent by a woman in Belfast, which he said had struck a chord with him.

George's sister, Barbara, said to many her brother had been a superstar and a superhero, and to her he had been "my super-brother, my hero".

The surgeon who carried out his liver transplant, Professor Roger Williams, told those gathered in the Great Hall, George had "wanted to kick the alcohol".

SATURDAY'S EVENTS
Day began with private blessing at family home in Cregagh estate
Funeral procession headed to Parliament Buildings, Stormont, for public service at 1100 GMT
Big screens relayed service to crowds outside
Private burial followed at Roselawn Cemetery

He spoke about the ex-footballers' medical difficulties and of the affection in which he was held across the world.

Best died last Friday in London's Cromwell Hospital, several weeks after being admitted with flu-like symptoms on 1 October.

Tens of thousands lined the streets to the Stormont estate and lined the route to the cemetery in the hills above east Belfast.

Three hundred invited guests attended the special service in the Great Hall, which was led by TV presenter and Manchester United supporter Eamonn Holmes.

Best's brother Ian, agent Phil Hughes, Dr Akeel Alisa, who treated Best, and his brothers-in-law Norman McNarry and Alan McPherson, were also pallbearers.

The football magic of George Best will live on forever
Olav Grinde, Bergen, Norway

The service also featured school choirs, readings and performances from Belfast singers Brian Kennedy and Peter Corry.

Best's former wives Angie and Alex, along with his last partner, Ros Hollidge, attended.

The gates of Stormont opened to the public at about 0830 GMT and the police said 25,000 people were inside the Stormont estate.

The service in the Great Hall was relayed via big screen and loudspeakers to the crowd outside.

The PSNI thanked those who lined the streets and were in the Stormont grounds for their orderly manner during the funeral.

The crowds had cooperated fully and honoured the family's wishes, said police.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4493898.stm

Published: 2005/12/03 17:11:37 GMT

The ball from Man Utd's 8-2 win over Northampton on 7 February, 1970 - Best scored a club record six goals

[Edited by charlotte]
December 3rd, 2005 04:42 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Thanks for posting this Ten Thousand Motels.

Looking at all the photos in the paper, it was obvsiously quite an event.

Gazza was there!

An incredible day. Effectively, a state funeral for a footballer, something which is amazing in itself. Just after I'd placed a football scarf on top of the hearse, George's son Calum reached out of the limo to shake my hand as it passed where I was standing. A stunning gesture.

Everyone on this board is a huge fan of the Stones, so we all know something about having a massive appreciation for someone's talent who we admire. Its an incredibly sinking feeling to watch the funeral procession of someone who's akin to a personal (and national) hero pass within a couple of feet of you

An uplifting and heartbreaking day at the same time. I'll never forget it as long as I live.

[Edited by Gazza]
December 3rd, 2005 06:45 PM
charlotte Thanks Gazza, you were also representing Stones fans all over the world...
December 4th, 2005 03:04 AM
The Wick A very sad day, but every day has been sad for me since he passed on. I must say that I was expecting something a little bit more personal and touching from the King (Denis Law for those that don't know) because he always mentions the drinking, but it was nonetheless a lovely ceremony. Gazza a very classy act from Calum Best, showing his true appreciation and showing that he sees himself as one of you- meaning Irish.
December 4th, 2005 09:14 AM
Honky Tonk Man They showed a very brief clip of the hearse and people throwing scarf's etc, on Match Of The Day. Calum Bests eulogy was especially moving.
December 4th, 2005 12:17 PM
hotlicks Lets hope they name the new football stadium after besty.............and maybe the stones will be the first band to play the stadium..........should be built by 2010 !
December 4th, 2005 12:42 PM
Gazza problem with that is that the stadium being built is too far away (and I doubt it'll be that early anyway) and the time to make some memorial gesture is now. It'd be nice to do it while George's father is still alive.

Personally, I'd prefer the airport being renamed, which I think is the more likely scenario. I think we'll have a George Best Airport by this time next year, myself.
December 5th, 2005 03:04 AM
hotlicks Gazza they could name the new glentoran stadium after him........what you think mate??????
December 5th, 2005 07:47 AM
Gazza No..I think the "Stadium of Shite" has a nice ring to it and is more appropriate
[Edited by Gazza]
December 5th, 2005 10:45 AM
The Wick Old Trafford should have a statue for him, but it's more likely that Cantona's will go up eventually. As much as he was loved, Bestie was the most underappreciated and ignored footballer of all time.
December 5th, 2005 10:54 AM
Gazza actually I think theres been talk in the last few days of a statue at Old Trafford - possibly of Best, Charlton and Law (who incidentally looks like hotlicks) together

I'm not sure about 'underappreciated' or ignored.

Considering he last played top flight football over 30 years ago, he's still been a source of public fascination and media obsession ever since.

I certainly doubt if the death of any other sporting figure in the UK past or present could have possibly generated what we've witnessed in the last few weeks.
[Edited by Gazza]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)