ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Gypsy!!
Toyota Center - Houston, TX, December 1, 2005
© 2005 Courtesy of Wenn with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stones rocking HARD in the 70's... QUESTION Return to archive
December 2nd, 2005 11:10 AM
CraigP I'm not sure what soundboard/year/tour that this particular live performance of Street Fighting Man was recorded. It remains my favorite by far out of all of the bazillion versions I've heard over the years.

I downloaded it off Napster years ago.
Their performance of SFM, on this recording was so hard rocking and so fast it would make an audience want to "mosh" or go nuts and tear the place apart.

For example, this version sort of falls apart toward the end, with Charlie just punding on the drums while Mick Taylor's sreaming guitar solo hit a few bad notes. But at the very end, the song falls back into gear and Taylor lands the song with a nice screaming vibrato note. (one of my favorite Taylor performances as well)

Perhaps it's from a show circa '73-'75 or so.
The mp3 I have has poor sound quality yet I still crank it.

Another clue, keith plays some raw rythm chords on it....

PLEASE, if you have any ideas (or know) what show/soundboard recording i am talking about, PLEASE let me know...

Thanks alot for your help!!!!

Much Love,
CraigP

December 2nd, 2005 11:21 AM
Jumping Jack Brussels 73?
[Edited by Jumping Jack]
December 2nd, 2005 04:56 PM
star star brussels 73 first set....bummed notes from a bloody fast solo, but that beautiful screaming wah-ie vibrato laden single note at the end....heaven! deffo from brussels mate
December 4th, 2005 06:19 PM
CraigP Do they rock as hard on the rest of the show? Could somebody possibly help me out and make me a copy?
December 4th, 2005 06:49 PM
keefjunkie its on the tracker...
December 4th, 2005 07:57 PM
CraigP I don't mean to be a bitch but the 'unknown' version of SFM that inspired this topic is in fact a DIFFERENT version then the Brussels version which I just downloaded off of Lime Wire.

On this 'unknown' version, the intro is shorter and Mick kicks in with the opening lines "Everywhere, I hear the sound...") at about the 6th messure as opposed the Brussels where he delays the opening for a few more measures. In the 'unknown' version, Mick also yells the song more agressively and the band plays at a faster tempo than on Brussels, he also get's very out of breath from screaming so fast ... Maybe the fastest they've ever played on any song, or 2nd fastest)

The guitars are louder, and Keith just plays basic "power-chord" rythm instead of his usual improvisational riffing and with a very raw, mean tone.

At the very end of the 'unknown' version, Mick remains silent as Taylor screams the last note (very high-pitched with a ton vibrato) of the song with a wha-wha pedal (similar to brussels, much hotter though)... But near the end of Brussels version, mick makes some high pitched Jagger-esque "woo" "woo" "woo" as Taylor ends on a mediocre mote...

I do love this Brussels version, however. I love how that when the song speeds up, it's sounds a bit hardcore punk, head-banging rock or something.

Could this 'unknown' version possibly be from a King Buscuit Flour Hour recording?

Whether you know which version I'm inquiring about or not, I was wondering which show(s) they play the fastest/hardest version(s) of the appropriate songs for such energy. I crave that type energetic performance out of them. Prior to discovering those two versions of SFM, I had never known that they had ever played so powerfully...

I hope somebody could name some boots that the band really goes all out on. I'm wondering if the show containing the 'unknown' SFM version has a good setlist with the 'rockers' being played as powerfully.

If not, any other suggestions???

Thanks,
CraigP

[Edited by CraigP]
[Edited by CraigP]
[Edited by CraigP]
[Edited by CraigP]
December 5th, 2005 01:57 AM
Zack Because Taylor went out of tune at the Brussels show, the bootleggers of Brussels Affair substituted the version from one of the London shows. What you have may be the actual Brussels version, not the more commonly known version from London.
December 5th, 2005 04:47 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Zack wrote:
Because Taylor went out of tune at the Brussels show, the bootleggers of Brussels Affair substituted the version from one of the London shows. What you have may be the actual Brussels version, not the more commonly known version from London.

amazing, I didn't know this story!
December 5th, 2005 09:23 AM
Mathijs It's not the bootleggers who changed the Brussels SFM for the London SFM, that was Jagger himself. Both the London 9/9/73 and Brussels 17/10/73 shows were recorded by KBFH, and the songs to be broadcasted were selected by Jagger, who also remixed the recording of Brown Sugar.

Mathijs
December 5th, 2005 03:13 PM
Jumping Jack There is an excellent video of SFM from Frankfurt 73 that is great to watch. I don't remember the details of the recording, but it is certainly the best piece of film from the time. Perhaps you have the audio from it.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)