ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Gypsy!!
Toyota Center - Houston, TX, December 1, 2005
ฉ 2005 Courtesy of Wenn with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAัOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Toyota Center Houston, TX, December 1st - Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive
December 2nd, 2005 04:24 AM
RollingstonesUSA The Rolling Stones
Toyota Center, Houston, TX, USA
Thursday, December 1, 2005
The set list

1. Start Me Up
2. It's Only Rock'n Roll
3. She's So Cold
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Oh No Not You Again
6. Rain Fall Down
7. Dead Flowers
8. Bitch
9. Night Time Is The Right Time
--- Introductions
10. Slipping Away (Keith)
11. Infamy (Keith)
12. Miss You (to B-stage)
13. Rough Justice
14. Get Off Of My Cloud
15. Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Brown Sugar
18. Satisfaction
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore)
20. Jumping Jack Flash (encore)

Rolling Stones show time: 9:05 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
December 2nd, 2005 07:58 AM
lotsajizz I hope, knowing they have a big rest upcoming, that they stretch it out a little more on Saturday night....

what happened to 'Heartbreaker' and 'PIB' and 'Ruby Tuesday' and 'Beast of Burden' and 'All Down The Line'? at least 2 of those 5 should be in the setlist every night IN ADDITION to what was played last night! or throw in a couple of new ones from ABB, not less than 22 songs a night

IMHO

[Edited by lotsajizz]
December 2nd, 2005 08:42 AM
mac_daddy just rec'd this from one of my taping buddies...

"Reporting in from Houston, TX. Fantastic show tonight! Band was high energy with only 2 shows left before the Xmas break, Memphis 2 nights from now being the last. Highlights: Rain Will Fall, Bitch, Dead Flowers, and Get Off Of My Cloud.

I was situated on the floor, 25 rows back, directly under the right stack. Got a sick pull from there. 50 times better than my Ottawa recording. On par with the Charlottesville recording. I should have it in the Kickdown when I get back on Saturday. mac, I will be looking for pictures from this puppy. "

this is the same guy who taped albany and ottawa...
December 2nd, 2005 10:20 AM
GimmeExile I heard that people were buying $60 tickets at the box office the day of show which they were allowed to trade inside for floor tickets...$400 tickets going for $60.

[Edited by GimmeExile]
December 2nd, 2005 12:00 PM
moy Stones on autopilot for Toyota Center show

By MICHAEL D. CLARK
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

It's only rock 'n' roll, but after 43 years together the Rolling Stones don't appear to like it all that much. More than anything the band appears to just be going through the motions on stage.

And what a stage it was, featuring plenty of motion to mask what has to be the most spectacular, massive and expensive version of musical sleep-walking known to concert-goers.

No matter how opulent the bells and whistles, autopilot is still autopilot, even when its coming from the most revered and long-lasting rock 'n' roll band on the planet. For those who have never seen the Rolling Stones before the sold-out Thursday show at the Toyota Center in support of new album A Bigger Bang, they got the live version of the greatest hits album they were hoping for.

Tumbling Dice, Jumping Jack Flash, Brown Sugar and Sympathy for the Devil — classic songs that sit in the Stones set list like luggage — were all played as they have been on every other date of this tour . . . and the last tour . . . and the tour before that. The better-schooled Stones fan, hoping for a few more obscure nuggets, was left looking for shelter.

Appropriately, the show was whipped into a frenzy with Start Me Up, featuring one of the dozen or so classic, bluesy rock riffs that can be credited to the deft, funky fingers of Keith Richards.

It's Only Rock 'n' Roll, from the 1974 album of the same title, was a welcome curveball followed by the even more surprising She's So Cold with a quick-clapping Mick Jagger steering the song. At this point, between the massive stage spectacle and a brilliant opening song selection, the Stones briefly returned to the greatness of the early '70s.

It didn't last. The mood was shatteredwhen the overexposed war horse Tumbling Dice was bolted into the fourth song spot like a fire hydrant. It was exactly where any number of Stones Web sites suggested it would be based on previous shows.

Granted, even the most disappointing turns by the Rolling Stones are still superior to what most other bands dole out, but with tickets going for upwards of $400, fans have a right to something unexpected.

Things picked up a little. There was a short sampler from A Bigger Bang — Oh No Not You Again and Rain Fall Down — two songs featuring new, but instantly classic, Richards riffs. They were followed by highlights for fans: A particularly countrified rip through Dead Flowers, during which Jagger, on acoustic guitar, followed Richards' lead, and a fierce stomp through Bitch.

Amid the spectacular sights of the show, those two songs were an equally stirring musical zenith before the more obvious second-half of the show began to rear it's obvious head.

[email protected]

December 2nd, 2005 12:03 PM
moy Review: Stones have time, fans in grip

Web Posted: 12/02/2005 12:00 AM CST
Hector Salda๑a
Express-News Staff Writer

HOUSTON — Can they still make a grown man cry? Don't know about that. But the Rolling Stones can still make a grown audience stand on its feet all night, beginning with the opening song of "Start Me Up."

Mick Jagger and "the boys" played the sold-out Toyota Center on Thursday, time still on their side and swaggering without the help of mother's little helper — we think.

Jagger remains the archetype, prototype of the rock 'n' roll front man. Nemesis and aging foil Keith Richards miraculously the definition of a smiling badass.

Let's be honest. Critics have been counting this legendary band out for the count since "Their Satanic Majesties Request."

Or was that when founder Brian Jones drowned in July 1969? Remember "Undercover" and "Dirty Work"? But the Stones refuse to jump the shark.

However, this is only showbiz, too — big bucks showbiz with corporate underwriting — and they like it. Totally shameless, Jagger said at one point when donning a white cowboy hat, "The Stones just wanna have fun, too."

As in tours past, they are willing to revisit the small stage (mid-concert here) and play virtually unadorned as the club act they once were, singing such numbers as "Get Off My Cloud" and "Honky Tonk Women."

It's amazing that the Stones, who long ago exceeded the age of many of the heroes they first aped, still continue on with the energy of young kids.

That's genuine joy on Richards' face as he cops the old Chuck Berry licks for "Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)." And Charlie Watts is simply the greatest Stones-style drummer around.

Girls and women of all shapes and sizes danced and slithered to "Sympathy for the Devil."

Unlike some rock acts that never seem to know what city they're in, Jagger had done his homework and threw in a few references like the Astros, sang a line or two to Dean Martin's "Houston" and mentioned the Bushes as in the president's family — received by jeers and roll of the eyes from whippet singer.

The new album may be called "A Bigger Bang," and the Stones played some well-received cuts, but this was a stripped down, no frills oldies show.

The caveat is that the songs are great and Jagger is singing as well as he ever has in concert. Richard added a gritty harmony on "Dead Flowers," while guitarist Ronnie Wood approximates steel guitar licks on his Fender Telecaster.

Seventeen songs into the show Jagger is singing "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," and the crowd is transported back.

Overhead on the giant video screen, the band is projected and sometimes bathed in a sepia tone effect. The Rolling Stones aren't ready for that Billy the Kid style history book look but it's getting close.

Close your eyes and it doesn't matter. During the encore, the audience sang along to "You Can't Always Get What You Want," but that was a lie. They were totally satisfied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
December 2nd, 2005 12:07 PM
moy Dec. 1, 2005, 11:25PM
It's only rock 'n' roll, but they love it

By KEN HOFFMAN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Joe Escalente was in the crowd when the Rolling Stones first played Houston — at the Sam Houston Coliseum so long ago in 1966. Back then, the Stones were threatening and nasty, rockin' and rollin' and young and exciting.

That was then. This is nearly four decades later.

Tonight, Escalente came to the Rolling Stones concert at Toyota Center wearing a top hat stuck with Rolling Stones pins, a Stones T-shirt and a long flowing cape. He brought his daughter Chloe, 14, who is learning how to play Wild Horses on the guitar. This was her first rock concert.

"I've been to every concert the Stones ever played in Houston, from the Coliseum to both shows in one day at Hofheinz Pavilion in 1972 to the shows at the Astrodome and the Summit," he said. "If my daughter is going to start going to concerts, she needs to start with the Rolling Stones. She knows their music from me."

Is it cool growing up with a dad who's such a Stones fan?

"Yeah!" Chloe said. "I can't wait to see them!"

The now, well, mature Rolling Stones — Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood — packed 15,000 fans into Toyota Center, breaking the arena's record for fastest sellout (under an hour) and obliterating the box office mark with $2.7 million in tickets sales. The previous biggest gate was $2.1 million for Paul McCartney last month.

The Stones are in the middle of a world tour in support of their latest CD, A Bigger Bang, and the veteran rockers certainly are getting a much bigger bang for their buck. Top tickets for the Stones were $400, another high-water mark for Toyota Center. Lines at souvenir counters were deeper than the lines in Richards' face. The cheapest T-shirt went for $35, up to $275 for a Stones baseball jacket and $400 for a leather coat.

There were no empty seats, and no generation gaps, in Toyota Center. Parents and their kids agreed on one thing; as advertised, the Rolling Stones are the "world's greatest rock 'n' roll band." And no one seemed to mind that the opening act, Los Lonely Boys, never took the stage because the lead singer had a fever. Everybody was there for the headline act.

Denise White and her son Jonathan, 16, go to concerts together all the time. They've seen Aerosmith, Creed, Tim McGraw and Toby Keith. But this was the one they've been waiting for.

"I've been a Stones fan forever, but I've never seen them in concert," Denise White said. "It's great to be able to say I took my son to both of our first Stones concerts."

Jonathan said Mom has been taking him to concerts for a "really long time, since I was 12." Having the same taste in music eliminates one problem, he said. "When we're driving around, we don't have to fight over what radio station we play," he said.

Don Orin had different expectations than many in the arena. Sure, he loves the moldy oldies, but he was looking forward to hearing new songs — which usually bring groans and sprints to the restrooms at classic rock concerts.

"The new album is pretty cool, there's some good stuff on there," he said. "Hey, it's Mick and Keith, anything they do is great with me. I want to hear Gimme Shelter, and the songs I heard when I first saw them in 1978 at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. But people should give the news songs a listen, too."

Raymond Stoughton has been going to Stones concerts for 30 years, but Thursday night's had special meaning.

"My wife, LaNelle, has third-stage liver cancer. She's an even bigger Stones fan than I am. Her doctors gave us tickets for the concert. We always have hope, but she and I both know that this could be her last dance. Tonight will make her happy."

[email protected]

December 2nd, 2005 12:10 PM
moy Stones roll on
By Austin Powell

Wearing his second jacket of the evening, jet black over a maroon button-down shirt, and with a lit cigarette dangling from his lips, legendary guitarist Keith Richards took center stage at the American Airlines Center in Dallas midway through the Rolling Stones' performance.

"This one is called 'Infamy,'" Richards said dully. "It's off that new thing ... 'A Bigger Bang.'"

The Stones' 25th record, which was released in September, debuted at No. 2 in the U.K. After just one week, the album disappeared from the top ten.

The Rolling Stones do not need a new album to tour behind to sell out arenas. Since their last release, "Bridges to Babylon" in 1997, which failed to make its way into Tuesday night's set list, the Stones have been on the road consistently through the release of their 2002 career-spanning compilation "Forty Licks" and 2004's "Live Licks."

"A Bigger Bang" is not just another album attempting to rehash their '60s rock roots and it should be remembered for more than just a few years. It may very well be the best record the group has released in at least 20.

"Oh No, Not You Again," one of the more guitar-heavy, rollicking tracks on the album, and "Rain Fall Down," a groovy throwback track with disco flair, sounded like the latest installments in a greatest-hits compilation next to classics like the opening number "Start Me Up" and "Tumbling Dice."

"Rough Justice," their current single and only other album track performed that evening, sounded fierce and raw, like music for a 21st-century street-fighting man.

But in all honesty, it didn't matter. The night was not about judging whether or not the Stones could still create great music, but simply experiencing a part of rock 'n' roll history.

Larger than life, the Rolling Stones bellowed through their best upon an enormous, bare stage. Mick Jagger strutted down the built-in catwalk, proudly shook his hips with his legendary androgyny and belted out "Wild Horses" and a much appreciated, soulful rendition of Ray Charles' "Night Time Is The Right Time," backed by a four-piece brass outfit.

As if raising the rock gods toward the heavens, the stage levitated at the end of the night and drove itself to the other end of the arena. Up close and personal, the Stones delivered their most engaging songs of the evening with the whooping "Miss You" and "Get Off of My Cloud," retreating back with "Honky Tonk Woman."

Immersed in sinister red lighting, the Stones gave their "Sympathy for the Devil" and swooned the crowd with "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

Confetti poured over the audience and the Rolling Stones went out with a bang as the night came to a close with "Satisfaction." Was it a bigger bang than what's come to be expected of the legends? Probably not, but the audience most certainly got licked.
December 3rd, 2005 07:16 AM
gypsy Photos from the show courtesy of WENN:

December 3rd, 2005 07:35 AM
corgi37 Bit of a mixed bag there. They've obviously had enough of America. They need the warmer climes and colder beer of Australia.

December 3rd, 2005 07:42 AM
NHStonesfan Did the reviewers all see the same show?
December 3rd, 2005 01:11 PM
69 Chevy Michael Clark of the Chronicle had written an article prior to the Houston show about the lack of "hidden gems" in the Stones set list this tour. When the band delivered the usual greatest hits show I figured he would rip them a new one and he did. The comments from readers, myself included, to his review have all been the exact opposite. Energy level was great even if the song selection lacked imagination. The only Stones songs you hear on Houston radio are all contained on "40 Licks". Last tour when they launched into CYHMK the lady next to me asked "What song is this?" as others headed for the rest rooms and concession stands. There are some great rock fans in this city, but by and large Houston got the show it wanted and deserved! Following the show a Stones crazed kid of about 15 was running thru the parking garage high fiving everyone and screaming about what a great concert it was. I agree with him, not some critic that probably hasn't paid for a ticket in 20 years.

As great as the Stones show was the highlight of the evening for me was Ronnie dropping in on Ian McLagan's show at the Continental Club in midtown Houston. He did 5 or so songs with Bernard Fowler and Blondie helping out on vocals. Also spotted Chuck Leavell sitting in the corner. Even Mr. Clark had a positive review of that show!
[Edited by 69 Chevy]
December 4th, 2005 09:58 PM
Maxmeister We had a very good show, with Dead Flowers and Bitch obviously being the highlight.
The only other gig I've been to on this tour so far is Hershey. They were on fire that night which is only going to happen a handfull of times during a tour. I didn't expect that to happen here in H-Town but the gig was special as they all are. Attending the 7th show with my niece since '89 was the highlight for me. Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to do it again. If not, we'll have a ton of great memories together.

We were told it was a done deal the Woody would show at the Continental Club. My niece and I and some friends from Shidoobee waited patiently and it was certainlty worth it. Mac sounded great and his band are superb musicians.
As I said below, we were at the front of the stage when Woody and his body guards excused themselves from behind us while working their way to the stage. My niece got a huge thrill and to be truthful it was too cool for me also.
Woody played and sang with Mac for a bit and then Bernard and Blondie joined in for a while. It was over too quick, but a better ending to a great evening could not have been written. Starting with the meet and greet at the Hilton, carrying on to the Jack Daniels Club in Toyota Center, the Stones in all their glory and finally the Continetal Club. It just couldn't have been better.

Rick
December 5th, 2005 08:54 PM
mac_daddy my buddy says he is uploading his recording of this gig tonight!!! so keep an eye out for it...
December 5th, 2005 09:02 PM
BoNeZ
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
my buddy says he is uploading his recording of this gig tonight!!! so keep an eye out for it...

Thank you!!!

Where should I check? This tracker or somewhere like Dime A Dozen?
December 5th, 2005 09:21 PM
mac_daddy welcome bonez...

i thik he will likely post it at dad (though i would LOVE to see him post it here), but i am sure it will get seeded here in a day or two, for all of the folks who cannot access the dad tracker...

(edited for spelling)
[Edited by mac_daddy]
December 5th, 2005 09:57 PM
BoNeZ
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
welcome bonez...

i thik he will likely post it at dad (though i would LOVE to see him post it here), but i am sure it will get seeded here in a day or two, for all of the folks who cannot access the dad tracker...

(edited for spelling)
[Edited by mac_daddy]

Thanks for the welcome!

DaD is no problem. I've had an account there for more than a year now and don't take it for granted, trust me. Seeing a lot of people really wanting one helps me see that.

As for the show, I'm really looking forward to it. My bro was at the show and would be cool if he had a copy I think. He's not really into the whole live bootleg collecting but at least I'll have a copy just in case. ;-)
December 6th, 2005 07:46 PM
mac_daddy
well, it took him an extra day...

it is here:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=72172
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)