ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Joan Jett, NYC 1986
By Nick Elgar
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SirStonesalot/Hillside Blues Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12-04-02 09:45 AM
jb Hello...Can you please explain these boots to me....Finally heard them last night and they were awesome! Also, please explain MickBoy-Let it Bleed..it seemed to be a copy of the album...why is this considered a boot?
[Edited by jb]
12-04-02 10:35 AM
nankerphelge It's a boot because it is not authorized by the copyright holders. If you sell your authorized copy of LIB, it is not copyright infringement because of the first sale doctrine. The copyright owner's rights are exhausted for that particular CD.

However, if you take your authorized copy of LIB and make multiple copies -- whether straight or in a "remastered" form -- you have made unauthorized reproductions of the original copyrighted work.

12-04-02 10:43 AM
jb I understand "legally" why it is a boot, although your explanation is appreciated and shall be kept for future reference. What I meant is the fact that the recording appears to be no different from the album...
12-04-02 10:56 AM
sirmoonie I don't have Mickboy's LIB, but on his other remasters, he throws in alternate takes, and also some songs from the respective era that didn't make album. More importantly, he works some voodoo on the original songs, cleans them up, etc., and they usually sound better or at least different enough to be interesting.

His remaster of Exile is dope! That Mickbooyiieee must have a set of freakin' ears coming out the back of his ass!!

"Dem goons try to blassss me, Ronnie!"
12-04-02 10:57 AM
jb Please expalin Hillside Blues...is this Mick's solo material?
12-04-02 10:57 AM
nankerphelge What has he remastered other than Exile and LIB -- I haven't heard any of them, but everyone seems to agree that they are damn fine!
12-04-02 11:03 AM
jb To me, it sounded very clear and crisp..but not dramatically different from my cd version.
12-04-02 11:07 AM
Maxlugar Your Persian ears are not as finely tuned as the rest of the brothers and sisters you live amoungst here in the Western World, Josh.

The Persians never really developed a great sense of hearing throughout the ages.

And why should they have?

They can smell each other coming miles away.

{{{CA-RACK!!!}}}

IT IS HIGH!

IT IS FAR!!

IT'S.....OUT OF HERE!

HOMERUN!!!

INTO THE BLACK IN YANKEE STADIUM!!

"Oh boy Costas, that's two in a row for this guy. That 100 Million dollar contract is sure paying off for this young superstar, heh?"

"You got that right, Vince. Flashy he is, but he's good for the game and the kids are just FLOCKING to the ball park to watch him swat 'em out."

"Well, you might be Greek Costas but you'd never know it by the intelligence you show me every day at the ball park!"

"Thanks Vince!"

STONES!!
12-04-02 11:08 AM
sirmoonie I have Mickboy's IORR and Black and Blue.

I think I have his Aftermath and GHS too. Not sure.

I know he also did TSMR also, but don't have.

He probably has done most of them.

Josh, Hillside Blues is just session material from Exile era. Its the best boot I have heard yet as far as quality of sound and whats on it. I play it so much, I forget sometimes that it isn't the real deal. A treasured gift from my bro Maxmeister and my first boot.

The acoustic All Down the Line and Good Time Women blow my goddam mind. BCI boiling, re-stuccoing the ceiling, shampooing the buffalo type sitch. FYI - Good Time Women morphed into Tumbling, although thats not as easy to determine as some say.

All kinds of stuff for Taylorites to drool over too.
12-04-02 11:14 AM
jb It is great....a lot of instrumentals... Thanks Moonie.
12-04-02 11:35 AM
nankerphelge Shampooing the buffalo!?!

Oh that's good!
12-04-02 11:52 AM
steel driving hammer STONES!!!
12-04-02 11:56 AM
justinkurian Can anyone tell me what the tracklisting is and say which ones aren't instrumentals? I wanna pick this one up now...
12-04-02 12:04 PM
steel driving hammer Could of sworn Hillside Blues was a comp by Maxmeister as a gift for the C-10.

What a fool I was, now she the boss...
12-04-02 12:06 PM
100 Years Ago I have the Tropical Disease boot, which I've always liked alot, rough sounding though it is. Does Hillside Blues contain better sounding outtakes than Tropical Disease, if so it sounds like something I'd like to hear.

I have the Mickboy IORR re-master, like it alot, the Stones should hire him to master their next album!
12-04-02 12:07 PM
jb It's over 18 songs and I have it on 2 discs courtesy of SS...
12-04-02 12:40 PM
beer Here's the art and info for Mickboys Goats Head Soup

http://members.lycos.nl/coo/dancing.html

And Mickboys Let it Bleed:

http://members.lycos.nl/coo/get.html

12-04-02 12:51 PM
steel driving hammer Thank you beer!
12-04-02 12:55 PM
Maxlugar Ronnie looks like he's working out.

Ronnie and me are getting into shape.
12-04-02 01:13 PM
steel driving hammer I love Ronnie's new cute hair cut!

Spikey but short in the back.

Him and Rod Stewart still look cute together.

Sweet Little 16 forever...

Oh, did I forget he's playing better than Keith on this tour...Mmm.

Maybe Baby? Able Maybel...
12-04-02 02:03 PM
jb You know SDH, I have listened to many boots this week from 69-2002...Keith has never really been completely on..even the 69-78 boots have a lot of off keys...My point is that Keith has not really changed that much..maybe it's just Ronnie is playing much better this tour...
[Edited by jb]
12-04-02 02:11 PM
Fiji Joe Yes SS is a cool dude...Speaking of, I am trying to reciprocate his kindness by forwarding him the Atlanta show but cannot seem to copy the discs without skips...Any recommendations for software that will allow this...I am using Adaptec "disc at once" but that is not doing the trick...
12-04-02 02:15 PM
jb Tumbvling Dice told me he has a killer Atlanta disc...maybe he can help you.
12-04-02 02:23 PM
Staffan Yeah, Hillside Blues is of higher quality than tropical disease...
Moreover, many songs on Hillside are on Mickboys Exile too, in even better quality!
12-04-02 02:24 PM
jb I still don't get the Mickboy thing...is there really a difference?
12-04-02 02:25 PM
Fiji Joe Yeah JB...TD sent me the Atlanta show which is seamless...I cannot seem to copy with out time in between tracks, however...it's pissing me off...and it does sound great
12-04-02 02:29 PM
jb Well..I'm sure he will burn another one as he is the generous type...
12-04-02 02:59 PM
steel driving hammer STONES!
12-04-02 04:19 PM
beer
quote:
jb wrote:
I still don't get the Mickboy thing...is there really a difference?

I really noticed a big difference with the Goats Head Soup one. It sounds really great. But then again, I only had GHS on old vinyl before I got the Mickboy remaster on CDR. I don't know why Criss Cross never made it onto the original album, it's a cool song. One of the best things about Mickboys are the bonus tracks.
12-04-02 05:43 PM
beer
quote:
justinkurian wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the tracklisting is and say which ones aren't instrumentals? I wanna pick this one up now...

I'm not positive, but I think this is the tracklisting for Hillside Blues, they're mostly outtakes and alternate versions:
DISC 1

1.- JIVING SISTER FANNY

2.- I�M GOING DOWN

3.- I DON�T KNOW WHY

4.- HAMBURGER TO GO

5.- DOWNTOWN SUZIE

6.- BLOOD RED WINE

7.- TRAVELLIN MAN

8.- FAMILY

9.- STILL A FOOL

10.- FAMILY (Retake)

11.- LEATHER JACKET