ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Joan Jett, NYC 1986
By Nick Elgar
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Taylor to play Christmas gig at the Diss Corn Hall Return to archive
12-03-02 01:59 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Ex-Stone gathers for Christmas gig

CELIA WIGG

December 3, 2002

He once played in front of thousands of screaming fans at some of the most prestigious venues across the globe.

Crowds packed Hyde Park for his first live appearance with Britain's 'greatest ever rock band' in July 1969, and adoring fans shouted for more as the talented guitarist with the film-star looks stole their hearts at sellout international concerts.

But now the forgotten man of the Rolling Stones, Mick Taylor, is to play before 300 people at his latest gig � at Diss Corn Hall.

The ex-Stone, now gathering moss at his rural retreat, near Eye, will be starring alongside old friends and musicians: Denny Newman, landlord of the Railway Tavern at Mellis, Zoot Money and Max Middleton.

By coincidence, Mick announced his Diss gig on the same day that ex-Stones pals Mick Jagger and Co geared up for their 40th anniversary Licks tour. They plan three UK dates for next summer: Twickenham stadium on August 23, when 60,000 fans are expected, the Astoria in London on August 27 and Wembley Arena on August 29. They will also trek through 22 European cities and play 50 North American concerts.

It is a far cry from Mick Taylor's Christmas Jam at the former corn exchange in Diss � maximum capacity 300 standing, 400 seated � at 7.30pm on Saturday December 14.

Mick was brought in to replace lead guitarist Brian Jones in June 1969 when he was just 21, having already made his name with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Brian, who left to form his own band, was found dead in his swimming pool less than a month later.

Mick contributed to such Stones classics as Angie, Brown Sugar and Can't You Hear Me Knocking, in what is widely regarded as the group's golden era.

He quit on December 13, 1974, to pursue his own musical projects while the Stones went on to even greater fame and fortune.

Over the years he has worked with leading artists, including Bob Dylan, and continues to make guest appearances and tour with his own band.

The Diss gig came about by chance after Mick learned Denny had bought a pub a few miles from his home, and popped in for a pint.

Denny said: �It came as something of a surprise to come back from walking the dog and discover Mick Taylor in the bar. We'd worked together about eight years ago and he stayed for a beer, and a chat about old times and mutual friends. I knew he'd moved to the next village but Mick is so reclusive it took him a couple of years to get in touch.

�I was having a little do at the Tavern the following Saturday and he turned up and offered to play. He said he would love to do another gig together if I could arrange it.�

A songwriter and guitarist with pop groups Manfred Mann, and the Pirates, Denny also had a blues band and good contacts in the industry. After a few phone calls, he got together a group including his son Scott Newman on bass to join in the Christmas Jam.

�We haven't really done any advertising. I just put up fliers in the pub and a few handouts, and the tickets are going really well. People are hearing about it by word of mouth and phoning up,� he said. �It should be a great audience as it will be people who are right into the music.�

Tickets cost �12.50, in advance from the Railway Tavern, Mellis, or the Guitar Shop, Ipswich. For more details, phone Denny Newman on 01379 783416.

12-03-02 02:05 PM
jb This is very sad.
12-03-02 02:11 PM
beer I agree JB, it is indeed sad. Poor Mick Taylor. He should dress up as Santa Claus for the Christmas gig. Bill Wyman could dress up as one of Santa's elfs.
12-03-02 02:14 PM
jb Why, for gods sake, won't they allow him the dignity of finishing his career on stage with them. He is still the greatest guitarist we ever had...he made Keith the guitar player he is today. Mick taylor is responsible for making the greatest albums and performing in the greatest concerts in Stone history.
12-03-02 02:36 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:
Why, for gods sake, won't they allow him the dignity of finishing his career on stage with them. He is still the greatest guitarist we ever had...he made Keith the guitar player he is today. Mick taylor is responsible for making the greatest albums and performing in the greatest concerts in Stone history.

12-03-02 02:41 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
jb wrote:
Why, for gods sake, won't they allow him the dignity of finishing his career on stage with them. He is still the greatest guitarist we ever had...he made Keith the guitar player he is today. Mick taylor is responsible for making the greatest albums and performing in the greatest concerts in Stone history.

Has he put out one of those sniveling-prevaricating-"If they contact me, I may play with them"-read-between-the-lines-"Will suck dick for playing time"-pleas like Wyman did? That may be why there are no plans for a Taylor cameo in the offing.

Thoughts anyone? Could that be the case?

"I HEAR ya knocking, Ronnie!"
12-03-02 02:55 PM
jb Moonie, a simple invitation to play a few gigs, or even the HBO special(which I will be attending) is all that is needed. I trust MT would graciously accept.
12-03-02 02:58 PM
FPM C10 Oops! Gotta knock off the 5 martini lunches. Sorry for the above. What I MEANT to say was:

quote:
jb wrote:
Why, for gods sake, won't they allow him the dignity of finishing his career on stage with them.
[quote]

Um, because he QUIT? Because he left them high and dry with millions on the line, between already-scheduled blocks of studio time and a major world tour in the pipeline?

[quote]jb wrote:
He is still the greatest guitarist we ever had...
[quote]

What you mean WE, kemosabe? Are we now at the delusional point where we think Mick Taylor is not only the greatest guitarist in the Stones history, but the greatest guitarist EVER? Yikes!

Mick is and was a NOODLER. He NOODLES. He would fit into what's left of the Grateful Dead, except for his history of no-shows.

[quote]jb wrote:
he made Keith the guitar player he is today.
[quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA! I thought Ry Cooder did that! Seriously, though, maybe YOU need to knock off the mid-day drinking. Keith and Li'l Mick mixed like oil and water.

[quote]jb wrote:
Mick taylor is responsible for making the greatest albums and performing in the greatest concerts in Stone history.

Responsible? He was THERE when SOME of their greatest albums were made. He was perhaps RESPONSIBLE for GHS and IORR, which are not considered the greatest anything. As a live act, the band certainly did ROCK when he was with them, but as I am fond of pointing out, the shows of that era were an hour shorter than they are now and usually featured no encores.

Mick Taylor is scheduled to play his Xmas gig at a beer joint (I say "scheduled" because I smell a cancellation already) because he QUIT the ROLLING STONES on the advice of his wife, who I believe is long gone at this point. Unlike US, he had no faith in the longevity and enduring greatness of the world's greatest rock & roll band. Did I mention that he's FAT?

In closing, let me pose a question:

WHO THE FUCK IS MICK TAYLOR?
12-03-02 03:05 PM
Staffan This shows that he isn't the capitalist Mick and Keith seem to be........................
12-03-02 03:09 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Has he put out one of those sniveling-prevaricating-"If they contact me, I may play with them"-read-between-the-lines-"Will suck dick for playing time"-pleas like Wyman did? That may be why there are no plans for a Taylor cameo in the offing.

Yyyyyep. He has indeed.

And you know what? He can keep it. I agree that he was the best technical player the boys ever had, and he certainly deserves better than what he's playing now. If he ever needed a band I'd be there in a heartbeat. The guy is a guitar god, no denying that.

But he is *not* a Rolling Stone anymore. He gave that up *willingly*. He may have been a killer player live, but comparing 72 to 75 is comparing apples & oranges: The Stones were on fire in two completely different ways those tours. And right now we've got Ronnie, a rejuvinated, happy-go-lucky damn-good-guitar-god-playing Ronnie Wood. The guy cleaned up his act just so we could have a kick-ass tour and there's *still* all this bitching about Taylor?

Mick Taylor will *never play with the Stones again*. At least not live. I agree, a man his talent deserves much more than what he's got now. But he's not a Rolling Stone anymore. His job belongs in the capable hands of Ronnie Wood.

Actually, why don't they bring back Taylor on bass? His lines were always top-notch, and while Darryl's been pretty good this tour, Taylor'd be decidedly kickass.

But then there'd be all the pressure on the guitars and so forth and blah blah blah...

Sorry Taylor. You do deserve a real band and international superstardum. But you ain't in the Stones anymore.

-tSYX --- "Yeah, but you didn't write "Time Waits For No One", Ronnie!"
12-03-02 03:12 PM
jb Oil and Water...yes, as far as personalities, bit it is beyond cavil that Mick T. elevated Keith's playing to a level we can only listen to on pre75 boots. And have we not all put on a little weight over the years? He is still a gifted musician who must be respected by all Stone's fans...
[Edited by jb]
12-03-02 03:28 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Staffan wrote:
This shows that he isn't the capitalist Mick and Keith seem to be........................

Oh he's a capitalist allright. Its just that his demand curve hits his supply curve at damn near the intersection of the X and Y axes. Cartesionally speaking that is.

"(0,0) me, Ronnie!"
12-03-02 03:43 PM
stonedinaustralia sirmoonie, entirely off topic but in re your avatar - a great quote of churchill's crosssed my mind yesterday:

some english Lady (i.e. upper-class nobility type) told him he was a horrible man and that "if i were your wife i'd put poison in your coffee" - to which churchill replied "and madam, if you were my wife - i'd drink it!!" (rootp)

n.b. quote is not, perhaps, verbatim but the integrity of the exchange has been maintained - what a dude - now, there was a heavy hitter
12-03-02 04:00 PM
mattb "He is still a gifted musician who must be respected by all Stone's fans..."

No, I don't need a lecture from you on what I must do. I have not heard anything new by Mick Taylor in over thirty years. I really don't keep up with the thousands of people the current Stones have worked with and it is idiotic to suggest they owe anybody anything, let alone to someone who voluntarily left thirty years ago.

[Edited by mattb]
12-03-02 04:03 PM
sasca Bring back Brian.
12-03-02 04:03 PM
nankerphelge "No, I don't need a lecture from you on what I must do"

Like stay away from club gigs if someone doesn't have a ticket???

12-03-02 04:04 PM
jb I'm not lecturing you MBoston...just stating the obvious...all stones's fans (sans you) owe a bit of gratitude to MT....why people can't acknowledge his contributions is quite puzzling to me.
12-03-02 04:21 PM
Nellcote Sherman, turn the way back machine, to an earlier thread...
This Taylor bit is moldy!

Speaking of Xmas, I've got Keith on now...

"Santa's in a hurry, tell 'em he can take the freeway down!"

12-03-02 07:51 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
sirmoonie, entirely off topic but in re your avatar - a great quote of churchill's crosssed my mind yesterday:

some english Lady (i.e. upper-class nobility type) told him he was a horrible man and that "if i were your wife i'd put poison in your coffee" - to which churchill replied "and madam, if you were my wife - i'd drink it!!" (rootp)

n.b. quote is not, perhaps, verbatim but the integrity of the exchange has been maintained - what a dude - now, there was a heavy hitter

Yep, good one. Up there with "And you're ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober."

Anyway, hope none of you guys flip out down there tomorrow and start sacrificing virgins or diving into volcanoes or stuff like that. Its a perfectly normal event. Stay calm and it will pass.
12-03-02 07:55 PM
sasca Churchill�s writing on Edmund Ironside and Edward the Confessor is beautiful.