ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Joan Jett, NYC 1986
By Nick Elgar
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Any News On Upcoming Stones DVD's? Return to archive
12-01-02 03:20 AM
no_cole_porter Hey All,
With the upcoming Madison Square Garden show in January, A DVD is certainly slotted to follow, But will there be any other releases from the boys? Does anyone know anything about the big 5 DVD set? Is it official? Is it worth the money?
12-01-02 03:55 PM
Gazza >With the upcoming Madison Square Garden show in January, A DVD is certainly slotted to follow

I wouldnt bet on it..certainly not until the tour's over anyway IMO
12-01-02 04:41 PM
Boomhauer Well, I'd like for them to release a 3-set DVD of shows (stadium, arena, and small venue), but that seems highly unlikely because of the fact the Stones don't take advantage of things like that. Perhaps they can make a "greatest hits" live video, where they chooose there favorite performances of certain songs on the tour.
12-01-02 06:42 PM
Mr T nah - that's not happening. there's hope for the 3 DVD set - but as for that best of, don't count on it. the reason: it takes prior planning to set up a single filmed concert & it's too expensive to have all that pro A/V equiptment for a DVD for several stops on the tour so they can pick & choose from it later. At least it's more money than they probably want to spend. I'm 99% sure that the HBO concert will be on DVD around the end of the tour - but who knows - they could intend to film some overseas concerts. I've heard the China concert mentioned enough times that I wouldn't be overly surprised if they chose to comemorate it. I just hope we get to see some club shows released
12-01-02 06:50 PM
steel driving hammer Boomhauer, just gotta say I love your avatar.

Roll on my brother.
12-02-02 12:44 PM
mikecooper Circuit City has the 81 show on dvd on 12/10 of this year. I know its not "new" but it has been oop for ever! Also if you have not gotten the Imax show that is going to be put out soon as well.

As for the Jan 18th show on DVD? I would say that it will be out as soon as they can make them, just like the st louis show from 1997 they were on VHS really soon. It took a while to get on DVD only beacuse 5 years ago DVD wasnt as big as it is today. I would think by end of FEB IF it will be out on dvd it we will see it then or first of march
12-02-02 01:43 PM
mikecooper here is all the info from Circuit City

out on 12/10 from the 81 tour

The Rolling Stones: Let's Spend the Night Together

movie info | DVD info | cast | credits | related movies

Starring: The Rolling Stones

DVD $34.99

MPAA Rating: PG
Genre: Concert Film , Music
Theatrical Date: 1981
Run Time: 94 Minutes
Flags: Adult Language
Label: EMI Int'l
Release date: 12/10/02

Hal Ashby culled footage from three live Rolling Stones concerts from their 1981American tour to create this surprisingly ho-hum documentary. ~ Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide

this i am not sure of but.......

Rolling Stones: Just for the Record [5 Discs]

DVD (5 PK) $39.99

Release date: 03/18/03

do a search from circuit city .com

12-02-02 02:15 PM
sandrew I honestly wouldn't care if they didn't release a DVD of this tour; in fact, I might prefer it. I don't think any of their concert videos -- with the exception of Gimme Shelter and the unreleased Ladies and Gentleman -- are worth a crap.

Let's Spend the Night Together is fairly good until it switches to the indoor footage. Live at the Max does not translate well to the small screen -- the "fake" parts look even faker. The Voodoo Lounge and B2B DVDs are nothing special at all. The sound isn't that great, the performances were so-so, and there isn't anything that makes them visually interesting.

I think U2's Elevation DVD is phenomenal -- I've never seen a concert video better than that. If the Stones can produce something like that -- something that's photographically distinct -- I'm all for a concert video. Otherwise, I'm content with I remember in my mind's eye.
12-02-02 02:38 PM
justforyou Well Sandrew, glad you enjoy the U2 DVD. As for Lets Spend The Night Together I really like the '81 movie after they went inside, especially YCAGWYW.

Live At The Max, Voodoo Lounge and B2B videos are great for reliving the feel of those tours, don't tell me there aren't songs you didn't like on them...and questioning wether or not a DVD(s) should be released for the current tour is pathetic to say the least.
12-02-02 02:59 PM
sandrew Nope, can't say I like any of the indoor footage from LSTNT. I guess the Voodoo Lounge and B2B DVDs were more anticlimactic than anything, having already seen the pay-per-views.

To make the point another way: If I'm going to get milked for something I've already seen -- whether it's a pay-per-view or an HBO special -- give me something special on the DVD. Don't give me incomplete concerts, as Live at the Max, Voodoo Lounge and B2B do.

(For example, when Bruce converted his HBO special into a DVD, he put several bonus songs on it -- more even than the CD.)

What's pathetic is paying to see Live at the Max and then having to pay once again to see the band sound like Enya on "2000 Light Years."
12-02-02 03:00 PM
steel driving hammer Here's what the IORR message board is saying but the link is dead here in ILL.

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?f=2&i=7595&t=7595
12-02-02 03:04 PM
steel driving hammer But here's something else their saying so don't believe everything you read...

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?f=1&i=26866&t=26866
12-02-02 03:16 PM
mikecooper I guess the Voodoo Lounge and B2B DVDs were more anticlimactic than anything, having already seen the pay-per-views.

they were the pay-per-views!
12-02-02 03:25 PM
sandrew Yes, that was the point I was making. Isn't it anticlimactic to watch the DVD when you've already seen the pay-per-views. Was that not clear?
[Edited by sandrew]
12-02-02 03:50 PM
mikecooper I thought in your last negative post you were making them out to sounding as two different items.

If you dont like dont buy them!
As for me I plan on getting what ever they put out on DVD as long as I feel it is decent.

I was so happy the other night I found the Voodoo DVD at Barnes in Rockford and go it was only 9.99! Amazing!

I really look forward to the 81 show on DVD I just have no clue why it is listed for so much!
12-02-02 03:55 PM
sandrew I can't resist buying the damn things myself. I just wish they'd put more "value-added" things on them instead of recycling things.
12-02-02 04:13 PM
mikecooper I got the rock and roll circus on VHS years ago and I know I iwll be blasted for this but I thought it sucked! The stones were great, but almost everyoe else sucked!! The cool thing was seeing Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath play with Jethro Tull for the 2 weeks he left Sabbath!

To be honest making a DVD is not that hard mastering to 5.1 takes forever! and if you look back the sound on the past stones dvd's arent amazing but better than VHS.

I would love to see some of the old VHS titles or the Voodoo on Halloween show up and the giant stadium show from 94 show up and atlantic city from 89 and so on. Not on bootleg unless they are in 5.1 and I really doubt a bootleger has the ability or would spend the time for 5.1!

I have a feeling in the next year or so we will see more and more DVD's from the stones!!!
12-02-02 06:21 PM
Martha My VHS of The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus is the most prized possession in our ever-growing collection of music.

Circus gets better each time I view it...and everyone is brilliant on it (IMHO)..not to mention the soundtrack is unbelievable..sounds like they are in the room with us. We've been turning our friends on to it recently after dinners together, and they are really impressed......the WHO kick bloody ass....I'm so glad to have found this gem!

Gypsy, if you're reading this one your copy is going out in this weeks mail!

12-03-02 07:42 AM
corgi37 must i say it again!! the stones are bastards when it comes video/dvd. the doors have more titles available. a band that made only 7 real records, were commercially successful for 4 years and who effectively finished 31 years ago! i mean, where is ladies and gentlemen on dvd? why no 75 stuff? did the 78 tour actually happen? your lucky if any book even mentions it. if your lucky, 2 sentences. what about a full 69 show, without hells angels? there is no way a greatest hits dvd can be made, as many songs dont have promo clips (honky tonk women, brown sugar, tumbling dice to name 3) and most would have licensing hassles. like ed sullivan, top od the pops, old grey whistle test. of course, we could get previously unreleased live versions of songs without official clips, but hey, this is the stones. They give nothing. Here's a thought. Being such top, shrewd business men, you'd think they'd work out a deal with Robert Frank after 31 fucking years to release Cocksucker Blues. Oh, and remember when the 81 movie came out? here in Oz it was titled "Time is on our side" and promised "incredible backstage scenes". yeah, Ronnie getting his make up done, Mick showing Ronnie the time, and Mick walking with the "honky tonk women". Riveting stuff eh? But, i do like the voodoo lounge and b2b vids. To see these flicks is great, particularly for us poor bastards who didnt get to see the tours! Now, people, dont forget. There is a movie being made about this tour by Michale APted. And, if you recall, there was a comp on RS.com to win front row seats and be featured in the official tour dvd. Remember? So, what do i want? I want them to get off their bony asses, and in this, their 40th year, release ALL clips of EVERY song on dvd. single dvd, box set, i dont give a fuck. they wont though. Oh, and 1 more thing. The Stones would have perfect sound and picture of EVERY show since 81 i'd say. Every show is taped. For perusal and possible usage. Yep, EVERY show. Or, how about this: Bill Wyman is enlisted to go through all the old shit from the 60's on and release, say, a 4 box set dedicated to vids and interviews and odd and ends from every decade. 1 dvd per decade. Now, that i would love to see. And, that wont happen until they retire. Which wont happen until they are all dead.
12-03-02 07:49 AM
corgi37 Oh, yeah, one more thing. Why the hell wasnt a clip for DONT STOP actually released when the cd came out? Dont tell me a clip being made now is going to boost that song up the charts. Not that you will see it on any of the rap/teeny music channels anyway. They really ballsed up the whole single i reckon. And, do i have this right, is it not even released yet? Not that i'd know, i aint buying 40 licks, and i wont. I have all the songs. And i aint spending $30 Aussie Peso's for 4 songs. But, lucky me, I'm getting let it bleed and beggars banquet sacd for xmas. Should also have aussie tour tickets by then. I have been a good boy for santa.
12-03-02 11:10 PM
JaggaRichards I went to a record convention recently, and saw the following Stones stuff for sale on bootleg DVD. I didn't buy any:

R&R Circus
Hyde Park '69
Ed Sullivan shows
Rewind
Ready Steady Go!
A Stones Video compilation
Keith/Winos at Hollywood Palladium 1988
Ladies And Gentleman
Charlie Is My Darling

I did the old 'buyer beware' routine seeing that none of the sellers GUARANTEED that they would work right (the region thing) on my DVD player.

[Edited by JaggaRichards]
12-04-02 05:58 AM
The_Cure For The Dutch People,

does someone know were I can buy the VOODOO-LOUNGE DVD????
online store,, DUTCH shop???? anyone?

Thnx alot
Cure
12-04-02 11:51 AM
mikecooper To be honest I am not sure if the Keith DVD is a bootleg.
I know ozzy has speak of the devil out only in south america and it came with a magazine, so it is possiable the keith one is legit only from there. does anyone have it??
12-04-02 01:41 PM
justforyou The Winos Palladium DVD is definitely genuine, saw them onsale at Virgin Paris.