ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Joan Jett, NYC 1986
By Nick Elgar
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Forty Licks Disk 1 or Disk 2 Return to archive
11-26-02 01:44 AM
DCStonesFan I prefer disk 2! Discuss...
11-26-02 03:18 AM
gypsymofo60 Well I think considering the fact that those songs have never been together on the one disc before this is not surprising. I know the first time I listened to it all in one go it did sound somehow fresh, 70s, 80s, etc, together like that for the first time.
11-26-02 07:57 AM
John Wood Disc one has too many songs in mono and disc two has too many edited songs. So other than for the new songs I don't listen to Fourty Licks at all and never will. Very disappointed with this release!!!!
11-26-02 08:05 AM
Jumacfly Well, haven t bought it too, cause i ve bought hot rocks one month before!!
F""k!!!
marketing fucking rules!!!

also very disappointed by this release, but any news from the dvd box set??

Cheers
11-26-02 12:48 PM
gypsy Disc One depending on my mood. But, I have a cd-to-cd recorder, and made a few of my own mixed CD's of all of my favorite Stones songs.
11-26-02 12:54 PM
Maxlugar I don't own, nor will I ever own, that stinking pile of.... Nasty help me out. What did I call that thing when it first came out? Damn! I have brain damage.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...shit what the hell is my name?

Marky? Yeah, that's it.

Marky!
11-26-02 12:58 PM
Factory Girl I borrowed my friend's copy. But, I haven't listened to it yet. Too much other stuff to listen to.
11-26-02 03:13 PM
Mr T 1 - 2 kinda sucks

2 has some great songs - but for most of them there are much better choices, such as

Fool To Cry --> Memory Motel
Anybody Seen My Baby --> Saint Of Me
Emotional Rescue --> Just About Anything

Disc 2 also has the problems of cutting tracks short like Beast Of Burden. Only Problem I have with Disc one if Have You Seen You Mother Baby being there & not Time Is On My Side. As For Disc 2, if I ever get the urge to listen to those songs - I would sooner just play Exile, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls & Tattoo You entirely. Not that I'm putting the Jones era over the Taylor/Wood days, that would be pretty much the opposite
[Edited by Mr T]
11-26-02 09:50 PM
JaggaRichards Disc 1
11-29-02 01:58 AM
CousinCocaine The whole thing is quite a disapointment to me !

They should have done it in the right order. All this mix-up is terrible. H.T. Woman - than back to Lets spend the night, etc. That really sucks.
Some important singles like We love you ( great Brian playin) and 2000 Light years are missing.

CD2 is even more worse. Great tracks like Waiting on a friend and Bitch missing.
And those dreadful 4 new ones water down the whole record !!
They should have done Don't stop and Losing my touch if any at all.
In this form it just didn't deserve to get the No.1 spot !
12-04-02 06:28 PM
Street Fighting Man Disk 1 by far is an easier listen - totally classic. If I recall correctly, they hacked up several of the songs by cutting them down to fit into the "40" lick format (i.e., enough songs for 40=40 marketing spin). Otherwise, I've actually grown to like the 4 new tracks - not great, but hey, I'm a diehard Stones fan.
12-04-02 09:13 PM
doo doo doo Dude I'd much rather have had the four new songs from disc 2 on an entirely new album and keep 40 licks a pure retrospective CD. I'd lose "you got me rocking" as well and replace those 5 songs with Bitch, Ain't Too Proud To Beg, Heartbreaker, She's So Cold and Waiting On a Friend. Regardless, it still wouldn't do their catalogue justice.