ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1973 Chuck Pulin
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: No Surprise - U2 Bombs Billboard Charts Return to archive
December 1st, 2004 07:42 PM
Poplar U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb blew Em's Encore out of the top slot the latter had occupied for two straight weeks. Atomic Bomb, the Irish quartet's 11th student album, exploded with 840,000 in sales for the week ended Sunday, according to Nielsen SoundScan data, to debut on top of the Billboard 200.

U2's first-week numbers mark a career best for the band and the third highest open for 2004, trailing only Usher's Confessions (1.1 million) and Norah Jones (news)' Feels Like Home (1.02 million). Eminem's Encore, rush-released to stores, sold a whopping 871,000 second-week copies, giving Atomic Bomb takes the fourth best week overall for the year. U2 benefited from huge radio play for the lead single "Vertigo," a multimillion-dollar Apple iPod/iTunes campaign and a carefully orchestrated marketing strategy.

December 1st, 2004 07:57 PM
Some Guy Still have yet to buy it. I'm just not moved.
December 1st, 2004 08:08 PM
Nellcote Of course we all know what the resident Billboard representative will have to say on this topic.
Thanks loads Poplar!
December 1st, 2004 09:03 PM
Soldatti Nothing to say for an album that is #1 in 24 countries and that sold 2.5 millions worldwide, only the first week.
Only the Beatles' "1" did something similar.

It's interesting that they are so big since 2000, Pop sold a little more than Bridges To Babylon but both albums and bands were at the same level in 1997, now the competition is uneven.
[Edited by Soldatti]
December 1st, 2004 09:39 PM
Poplar
"Bomb" has grown on me, big time. It's awesome. There are some classic U2 moments on there.

and how true about the level of competition between the two bands.
December 1st, 2004 11:41 PM
corgi37 #1 in Oz. First week in. Sold over 70,000.

Live Licks - virtually unavailable at any store i have been to. Most didnt even bother to order it. More than 1 person didnt know they had product out.

1 girl didnt know who they were!

Another bloke didnt and even know they were still together!

An older guy at a cd/dvd shop near my house (an old "traditional heavy metal" guy who wears the best Iron Maiden and Alice Coooper t-shirts, shook his head and said it was so sad. He saw them last year here in Oz and cant believe they would release another live cd. And, no, he didnt even bother to order it.

And, no, no one has even asked for it. I rang him 2 hours ago!! He sold 22 of the new U2 cd this morning.

It's all over. Shall we dance on the grave yet?

Or (drums beating, sort of like in Moonlight Mile, increasing in tempo and voulume) is it just a new beginning! The (orchestra comes in) quiet before the storm! Is the (music swells!!!!!!) renaiisance yet to come?
December 1st, 2004 11:45 PM
glencar Stunning news. Do the Stones even care?
December 2nd, 2004 09:16 AM
gimmekeef This is U2'S version of Some Girls.A strong album in mid career after a couple of misses.I think its positive that folks will buy a decent rock and roll album rather than this hip hop Poop Dog/Piss Diddy/Enema crap.The Stones dont care about competing anymore so why should we lose sleep over it.I'd almost rather have them pack it in than bring out something lame (ie Dont Stop Part 2)that will further damage what is still by far the greatest legacy in R&R history!
December 2nd, 2004 09:20 AM
glencar But the last one wasn't a "Black & Blue." It was also fairly strong. Perhaps this is more of a "Tattoo You" & their next one will be an "Undercover."
December 2nd, 2004 09:27 AM
jb The fact it failed to sell a million copies it's first week in the US is a major disappointemnt. It will end up with around 3 million USA, which is good, but not phenomenal.
December 2nd, 2004 09:41 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
The fact it failed to sell a million copies it's first week in the US is a major disappointemnt. It will end up with around 3 million USA, which is good, but not phenomenal.

Its pretty good when you consider they're not on tour and the ticket sales for it havent even started yet. So, their profile and hype over a new release COULD have been higher. It'll be a steady seller for months. A new Stones album sells well for a shorter period.

The Stones always release their albums to tie in with a tour. U2 place as much if not more emphasis to their new music than the tour. Thats the difference
December 2nd, 2004 09:45 AM
jb Agreed..but it ain't going to sell like 10 million copies here..,maybe worldwide around 8 million(for christs sake, VL sold 5 million worldwide)!!!!
December 2nd, 2004 09:59 AM
Gazza I dont know..how often does any act sell ten million copies of an album in the US alone? Very rarely, I would imagine.

I wouldnt think that aside from the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, theres been more than about 20 albums that have sold that many. (No doubt someone will correct me..lol)

December 2nd, 2004 10:48 AM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Still have yet to buy it. I'm just not moved.

A Buddy of mine burned it for me over the Holiday Weekend !

It truly is the " BEST U2 YET !!! "

Oh , and I have a Smelly Ass already and it is just 9:37 AM CDT !

{{{{{{{{{ WTF ?!?! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
December 2nd, 2004 10:51 AM
West 8 My local cd store diden't have Live Licks either on the day it came out. The guy behind the counter did not seem aware of it and had to look it up in the book. Three days later there was ONE & only One copy of it, which was mixed in with all the other Stones cd's,not in the front with all the New releases . However the soudtrack for Alfie was in stock from day 1. Go figure
December 2nd, 2004 10:53 AM
glencar Did ya buy it?
December 2nd, 2004 11:08 AM
West 8 Yea I did now they have none in stock. I have to laugh abot the post above about the guy shaking his head saying how sad for the Stones to put out another live album, while he's wearing a Iron Maiden shirt . What a joke and some girl never heard of the Stones????
December 2nd, 2004 11:09 AM
glencar I would guess that 25% of those under 18 haven't heard of the Stones. That's why I have enormous respect for the young'uns here who love the Stones.
December 2nd, 2004 11:55 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I would guess that 25% of those under 18 haven't heard of the Stones. That's why I have enormous respect for the young'uns here who love the Stones.

Yes , teenagers who love the Stones and The Who represent hope for the future .

....they shall propogate and lead .

December 2nd, 2004 01:38 PM
69 Chevy I had no problem finding "Live Licks". In fact the store I usually frequent had both the American and English(topless) versions. Alfie was a harder find. One store had one copy, but they wanted 17 bucks which I refused to pay. Four or five other stores(big chains) weren't stocking it. I finally found a copy at an independent store for 14 dollars.

U2 has benefited from aggressive marketing and stores selling it at reduced cost. I have seen it advertised for as low as $7.99 in the Houston area. It is a great CD!
December 2nd, 2004 08:45 PM
corgi37 West 8 - Why do you think it a joke that a guy who has owned a record/cd store for over 22 years thinks its sad that the Stones have released YET A-FUCKING-GAIN a live cd? He is a fan! He's seen them way more times than i have. He wears Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper t's because he likes them. He has a few Stones ones too!

My point was about the whole lack of any publicity, and how Live Licks has completely, totally, utterly, been a disaster. I mean, there are tv ads for Jump Back!! Not for Live LIcks.

And, there are people right up in their 20's who dont know who the Stones are. Mostly women, i might add. I might add Britney didnt know who the Beatles were!

And, didnt Hillary Duff, when asked why she was wearing a CB-GB's t-shirt reply, "I really like them!".

Just remember 1 thing. In most trendy record stores, the staff are like 18-20 years old. They were 12 or so when the Stones last had new product out. Why would they know who they are?

That is why i still go to old Doug's place. He is a little more expensive, but he knows what he's talking about. I bought my 1st heavy metal type cd off him in the 80's. It was Maiden's "7th son of a 7th son. On, beautiful, black vinyl!
December 2nd, 2004 09:36 PM
Soldatti In US, Jump Back spend his week 14 at #152 this week selling 12,600 copies and 194,000 so far. Live Licks is out of the map in US but the album is still Top 50 in Europe.
December 3rd, 2004 12:50 AM
West 8 No offense corgi37 I never got into the whole Iron Maiden/heavy metal thing. I took it as some Iron Maiden fan saying "the stones sucked for years, why don't they just hang it up?" I agree with the promo thing,speaking of which I read on Stonesdoug that there was a Live Licks listening party at some club in NYC yesterday. Talk about bad timeing?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood