ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1973 Chuck Pulin
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brown Sugar Lyrics... Return to archive
December 1st, 2004 02:18 AM
rockstarbrian I read in a guitar magazine that the lyrics that Mick Jagger wrote for Brown Sugar are some recycled lyrics from a Chuck Berry song. Or if not recycled, at least inspired by/influenced. I was wondering if anyone knew what Chuck Berry song this was. Kuz I know both keith and mick were HUGE chucky berry fans, I'm just interested to read the original lyrics or the lyrics that inspired brown sugar and hear the song.
December 1st, 2004 03:43 AM
Zack Chuck Berry? Except for the "sweet sixteen" I don't think so. It's vintage Jagger all the way. The riff, now that's recycled Chuck. Sort of.

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doing alright
Hear him whip the women just around midnight

Drums beating, cold English blood runs hot
Lady of the house wonderin' where it's gonna stop
House boy knows that he's doing alright
You shoulda heard him just around midnight

Now I bet your mama was a tent show queen
And all here boyfriends were sweet sixteen
I'm no schoolboy but I know what I like
You shoulda heard me just around midnight

December 1st, 2004 10:57 AM
jpenn11 Maybe the melody of the lyrics comes from a Berry song. Don't recall any similar lyrics in a Berry tune.

As for the "riff", I thought those were a bunch of suspended fourths in there (very KR, and not Berry). Also, the "riff" sounds to me as if it was inspired by the whistled tune from Dock of the Bay and doesn't remind me of Berry.
December 1st, 2004 11:08 AM
Saint Sway Its true. the lyrics and basic theme of "Brown Sugar" were stolen/borrowed from an unreleased Chuck Berry tune called "Rim Job"
December 1st, 2004 11:51 AM
Mel Belli Lordy. I thought it was "Tossed Salad." ... Seriously, it could be "Satisfaction" you're talking about. Mick told Jan Wenner in that marathon '95 interview that Keith may have subconciously lifted from the line "I don't get no satisfaction from the judge" in the song "30 Days."
[Edited by Mel Belli]
December 1st, 2004 12:14 PM
Baby Steelie "The wheels on my driver were gettin' rough.
Keepin' my gears from grindin' was gettin' tough.
Gettin' so I couldn't just turn my own knob.
Decided I needed a professional rim job.

Drove it up to downtown in the middle of the night
stopped when I got to the . . . red light
saw a mad mechanic looked like she could do it right
We ne-go-ti-at-ed and I told her my plight

She said that she could fix it easier
than boiling corn on the cob
Next thing you know I had that rim job . . ."

From Chuck's Hot Nuts Vol. 1, Unreleased Berrys and Other Dingle Lings . . .

December 1st, 2004 02:44 PM
J.J.Flash Baby?!?!?! My baby!?!?!? Baby Steel Magnolia?!?! Is that really you!?!?!!? Only God knows how mint fresh you used to sound......Where have you been????
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
December 1st, 2004 02:48 PM
J.J.Flash Hey, ugly avatar of your btw......
December 1st, 2004 06:30 PM
Soldatti Rolling Stone interview:

JW: Why does "Brown Sugar" work like mad?

MJ: That's a bit of a mystery, isn't it? I wrote that song in Australia in the middle of a field. They were really odd circumstances. I was doing this movie, Ned Kelly, and my hand had got really damaged in this action sequence. So stupid. I was trying to rehabilitate my hand and had this new kind of electric guitar, and I was playing in the middle of the outback and wrote this tune.
But why it works? I mean, it's a good groove and all that. I mean, the groove is slightly similar to Freddy Cannon, this rather obscure '50s rock performer -- "Tallahassee Lassie" or something. Do you remember this? 'She's down in F-L-A." Anyway, the groove of that - boom-boom-boom-boom-boom -- is "going to a go-go" or whatever, but that's the groove.
December 1st, 2004 11:51 PM
glencar They've done Tallahassee Lassie in some studio warm-ups.
December 2nd, 2004 01:39 AM
Zack How could Jagger be playing an electric guitar in the middle of a field?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood