ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1973 Chuck Pulin
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie Wood: Gimme Some Neck Return to archive
November 29th, 2004 05:29 PM
Poplar
Someone at work just handed me a copy of this disk.
Anyone familiar with it? I can't really listen till I get home.

November 29th, 2004 05:34 PM
Gazza I think its Ronnie's best solo album.

Its the album that the New Barbarians toured behind in 1979.

Worth getting for the great intro to "We all get old" alone. A very underrated song.

Plus it was the first official release of Dylan's "Seven days" which he'd given to Ronnie in 1976.
November 29th, 2004 05:44 PM
Poplar
Cool. Looking forward to giving it a spin tonight.

November 29th, 2004 05:45 PM
gustavobala i think too is the best ronnie's album, like 1,2,3,4 from 81!

is great...
November 29th, 2004 05:56 PM
nankerphelge Yep -- FUC Her is pretty funny too!
November 29th, 2004 08:24 PM
gotdablouse Is that the one that was recorded at the same time as Some Girls at Pathe Marconi in Boulogne? If it is indeed, yes that's certainly the most inspired period of his career. What a year that was for the boys, they just couldn't stop the songs flowing...in a year they wrote more (good) stuff than in the whole ten years after that probably...
November 29th, 2004 09:26 PM
Soldatti Great album, the best Ronnie's work for me, the sound is a little weak but good songs after all. Buried Alive is my fauvorite and the Seven Day's cover is great too.
The Stones and his members were so big and massive back then, that this album reached #45 on the US chart and stayed 13 weeks there!
November 30th, 2004 01:48 AM
Bloozehound I like this album too, but it's been a long damn time since I've heard it
November 30th, 2004 07:01 AM
bez85 Another great thing about the album is it's got Charlie Watts on most of the tracks...
November 30th, 2004 07:17 AM
Jair Yep, I agree, this record is special. I bought it the
vinyl when it was released.

But, one day, too high & crazy, I broke it in thousands of pieces. Now...well, now I have it the CD, which has a very low sound quality...(If I can say "low" quality...)

Anyway, today I rather Slide on This.
And I never heard 1234...

[Edited by Jair]
November 30th, 2004 07:53 AM
gustavobala falaaaaaa jair, let's trade boy....i don't have slide on this, but i have 1,2,3,4

send me your [email protected]
November 30th, 2004 08:42 AM
Lil Brian
quote:
Jair wrote:
But, one day, too high & crazy, I broke it in thousands of pieces. Now...well, now I have it the CD, which has a very low sound quality...(If I can say "low" quality...)
[Edited by Jair]

I bought "I've Got My Own Album To Do" on CD recently and it sucks for sound quality. The LP is much better to my ears.
November 30th, 2004 08:49 AM
Factory Girl Is "Slide on this" out of print?
November 30th, 2004 09:07 AM
Nellcote Seven Days is THE cut on this disc.

Nothing, I repeat Nothing beats the fire and intensity
of....
I Can Feel The Fire off of I've Got My Own Album To Do..
One of Rock's great overlooked gems
Wicked Pissa guitar lick, peppy MAC organ throughout, and those harmonies which would go on to bring a new era into The World's Greatest Rock N Roll Band...

Put It On-Play It Loud-NOW!

November 30th, 2004 10:40 AM
Saint Sway Ronnie gets dogged on this msg board all the time. But his 1st 2 solo records - I've Got My Own Album... and Now Look - are GREAT records. I absolutely love them. Very underated.

but the one thing those 2 records lacked was a collection of more rockin songs. And Gimme Some Neck really answers the bell with the rockers. They whole album is a blitzkrieg of nasty riffs. Its a great Friday night R&R record.

Buried Alive kicks ass. Ditto Infeckshun and Breakin My Heart.
November 30th, 2004 10:51 AM
Gazza
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Is "Slide on this" out of print?

just had a peek on some mail order sites and it does seem to harder to find than some of the other Woody CD's but it IS on amazon, ok. Seems to be a different cover, though!
November 30th, 2004 09:09 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
But his 1st 2 solo records - I've Got My Own Album... and Now Look - are GREAT records. I absolutely love them. Very underated.

Agree. Slide On This is good too.
November 30th, 2004 10:48 PM
PolkSalad hmmm, used to have it, not sure if it's around anymore???
November 30th, 2004 11:08 PM
BILL PERKS MY RANK OF RW SOLO
GIMME SOME NECK
SLIDE ON THIS
IVE GOT ME OWN ALBUM
NOW LOOK
NOT FOR BEGINNERS

BOTH LIVE DISCS- SLIDE ON LIVE AND BO DIDDLEY ARE GREAT ...BETTER THAN STUDIO RECORDINGS
November 30th, 2004 11:24 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Find this and many more HERE
December 1st, 2004 02:57 PM
Saint Sway what was the chronology of Gimme Some Neck coming out? Was it recorded before/during/or after Some Girls?

and when/how did Ronnie find the time to put out solo material during this busy period?

seems like after joining in '76, he managed to put out 2 solo albums between B&B and Some Girls

can someone clarify the time line on this and help explain. thanks
December 1st, 2004 03:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
what was the chronology of Gimme Some Neck coming out? Was it recorded before/during/or after Some Girls?

and when/how did Ronnie find the time to put out solo material during this busy period?

seems like after joining in '76, he managed to put out 2 solo albums between B&B and Some Girls

can someone clarify the time line on this and help explain. thanks

The basic tracks for Gimme Some Neck (Woody's 3rd solo album) were recorded during the Jan-March 1978 Some Girls sessions in Paris, although Woody didnt finish work on it until after the Stones finished their work for the year in October, when he went to LA to do the overdubs etc. It was released in April 1979.

Woody's second album "Now Look" was recorded in April 1975, immediately after the session he'd played on for Black and Blue in Munich (for about a week) and before he joined the Stones for rehearsals for the '75 tour. It was released in July 1975.

he also released a soundtrack album with Ronnie Laine in 1976 called "Mahoneys Last Stand". However, it had been recorded a few years earlier. As far as I'm aware the film wasnt released, but they ended up eventually releasing the album anyway.

And if that wasnt enough,one month after the Stones American tour ended on 8th August 1975, Ronnie fulfilled his commitments to The Faces with an 8-week US tour!!
December 1st, 2004 06:33 PM
Soldatti
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
MY RANK OF RW SOLO
GIMME SOME NECK
SLIDE ON THIS
IVE GOT ME OWN ALBUM
NOW LOOK
NOT FOR BEGINNERS

Agree 100% with this list.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood