ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1973 Chuck Pulin
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How The Stones hooked you up? Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 29th, 2004 06:42 AM
Jair The Black and Blue cover, and then Hey Negrita.
November 29th, 2004 06:57 AM
FotiniD My uncle and aunt took me to a Stones gig in '98. My very first gig

The rest is history...
November 29th, 2004 08:58 AM
throbby The Honky Tonk 45, then the zipper cover on SF.
November 29th, 2004 09:12 AM
luxury1 Always one to go both ways, huh, throbby?

Goats Head Soup and the Angie video.
November 29th, 2004 09:16 AM
Jumacfly the intro of Still Life...and the vinyl edition of Hot Rocks, disc 2 with JJF as the opener...
November 29th, 2004 09:20 AM
LadyJane The Angie performance from the debut of Don Kirschner's Rock Concert. Life changed then and there.

LJ.

November 29th, 2004 09:22 AM
Zeeta I heard Gimmie Shelter on a mate's Best of, I knew at that point this was a very special band and I had to own EVERYTHING by them and see them live...and the rest is history!
November 29th, 2004 09:22 AM
Angiegirl Yeah, I just have that effect on people.

I really can't remember anything specific, I just know my mother played a lot of Stones (Thru the past darkly, Some Girls, Hot Rocks etc) around the home in the eighties and I picked up on it.
November 29th, 2004 09:25 AM
Nellcote Singing Live w/Me for my family sometime in '71
I'd just left parochial school for public school
Oh the horror on my parent's face when I screamed
"The cook she is a whore"....
November 29th, 2004 09:29 AM
throbby Always one to go both ways, huh, throbby?

Well, I do like Corgi in drag. I'm thinking of posting a similar shot of myself. Know any good photographers?
November 29th, 2004 09:56 AM
M.O.W.A.T. When I was eleven my cousin had a copy of Emotional Rescue. Listened to it and like ER as well as She's So Cold (thought to myself: "Wow did he just say goddamned?!?"). Wasn't til a couple of years later that I went down to my local library and picked up Hot Rocks LP (wanted to tape Satisfaction off of it) but when I got home, I listened to the whole album and thought "Wow! I love all these songs!!!").

First store-bought album: On tape -- Dirty Work (ok start laughing now) CD -- Still Life
November 29th, 2004 09:58 AM
luxury1 Ha--dont steal Corgi's thunder, throbby--you just might be a tad too pretty in drag.

And LJ--that was it--I couldnt remember where the video was from, cus they sure as hell didnt have MTV way back then (christ, we're old). Same effect on me. It was instant obsession,--raided the older brother's records for their earlier stuff, pics all over the orange bedroom walls, Creem magazine. HOw bout when you first saw a pic of Mick in that white jumpsuit with the little silver holes in it, and the glitter near his eye? Damn.
November 29th, 2004 10:12 AM
Lazy Bones I grew up with my dad listening to the Stones. Emotional Rescue was a gift from my parents when it was released. I can't remeber if it was for my birthday or Christmas...

My first record!
November 29th, 2004 10:31 AM
LadyJane Lux...we are NOT old...Was that 1973? I remember the first magazine purchased was The Star (in those days it was a newspaper). Three part series "What Makes Mick Tick?" Grabbed that, every paperback I could find, Creem, Rock Scene, posters from the record store in the Mall.

My PINK bedroom...soon became the Shrine. HUGE poster of Mick in the white jumpsuit. Oh yes...and the music. First album Goat's Head Soup. natch.

Ahhh...the memories of youth. Only took 2 years to actually see them live in '75.

LJ.
November 29th, 2004 10:53 AM
Nasty Habits Video for Undercover. They were so much more real and scary than any other group I'd ever seen. Then I got Dirty Work from Columbia House and it was all over. All those crappy hair bands like Ratt and Twisted Sister and Quiet Riot ran for cover when Dirty Work entered the room. The solo on One Hit, the rhythm spray on Fight, the atonal riffage of Hold Back, the headlong rush of Dirty Work itself and most of all the feral scary nastiness of Had It With You . . . THESE were guitars, that was a singer, and those were some words, now. My mom caught me listening to Had It With You and I was in such big trouble because she thought it was about incest. That was the first time I'd ever brought anything into my house my parents hated. That was COOL.

November 29th, 2004 11:09 AM
shakedhandswithkeith The Rocks Off Movie - at this day nothing was like the day before
November 29th, 2004 11:43 AM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
The Angie performance from the debut of Don Kirschner's Rock Concert. Life changed then and there.

LJ.

Oddly enough, that same clip was my first exposure to the Stones as well, LJ (except it was shown on a different show on TV here - I think it was called "Lift Off"). Seems, you, Luxy and me all got 'exposed' at the same time (although my interests may have been a bit more wholesome)

I'd HEARD of the Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger but knew nothing about them apart from the fact they'd been around for quite a while, and was watching TV with my cousin - whose name was Angie, ironically enough - who told me who it was.
[Edited by Gazza]
November 29th, 2004 12:00 PM
Joey

Two Words ( from my teenage years ) ! :

Tattoo You

Jacky !
November 29th, 2004 12:12 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Joey wrote:

Two Words ( from my teenage years ) ! :

Tattoo You

aint dat da truth. a few years ealier we'd check Some Girls out from the library, but all hell broke loose w/Tattoo You. come to think of it, I was not yet a teen...
November 29th, 2004 12:16 PM
charlotte Ed Sullivan Show-October 25, 1964
"Around and Around"
"Time is on My Side"

also:

The Red Skelton Comedy Hour-Novemeber 10, 1964
"Tell Me"
"Carol"
"It's All Over Now"
November 29th, 2004 01:39 PM
Joey
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:

aint dat da truth. a few years ealier we'd check Some Girls out from the library, but all hell broke loose w/Tattoo You. come to think of it, I was not yet a teen...

I was a senior in high school when " Tattoo You " hit the airwaves ....... it wasn't until years later that I found out Mick Taylor quit the band in '74 !

{{{{{{{{{ WTF ?!?! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Sassy !
November 29th, 2004 04:43 PM
nankerphelge First caught my attention circa 1975 -- over at a friend's house playing pool and listening to his older brother's Hot Rocks album(s).

Knew nothing about them at all.

Soon realized that they had a whole lot more records in the bin at the local record store than just about anyone.

Then I bought a new stereo/turntable/speakers in 1977 and needed a new record to play on -- Love You Live got the nod.

Then Some Girls hit a few months later and that was the beginning of the end for me!
[Edited by nankerphelge]
November 29th, 2004 04:49 PM
gypsy
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
First caught my attention circa 1975 -- over at a friend's house playing pool and listening to his older brother's Hot Rocks album(s).

Knew nothing about them at all.

Soon realized that they had a whole lot more records in the bin at the local record store than just about anyone.

Then I bought a new stereo/turntable/speakers in 1977 and needed a new record to play on -- Love You Live got the nod.

Then Some Girls hit a few months later and that was the beginning of the end for me!
[Edited by nankerphelge]

That's all very interesting, Mr. nankerphelge. How did you feel when you found out Mick Taylor had quit the band?
November 29th, 2004 06:32 PM
Navin By both hook and crook after falling for it hook, line, and sinker
November 29th, 2004 06:37 PM
Mel Belli I realize we're talkin' about meaning lost in translation, but my defintion of being "hooked up" implies the hooker-upper did me a favor. All the money I've spent on Stones CDs, tix and paraphernalia - I'd say I, and we all, hooked *them* up!
November 29th, 2004 06:41 PM
Madafaka The first thing that I listened to the Stones was Dirty Work. And the worst thing of everything is that I liked it! I was just a child... And from this day never stop listening to them! Really ironic...
November 29th, 2004 08:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl My attention started after listening some singles 45 RPM, but became addict when I listened Aftermath, when it was a fresh album.

Sad to say that during those days I also was a fan of the Beatles but "sadder" to say of the Monkees too LOL but let me tell you I was a kid

Spanke me Ronnie!

Since Beggars Banquet I have bought all the albums as soon as they were released, including Live Licks (I ordered the Japanese version and in the meantime I'm listening to it via Real Rhapsody)
November 29th, 2004 09:48 PM
Soldatti My dad bought Steel Wheels in Christmas of 1989, I was only 7 years old but Sad Sad Sad and Mixed Emotions were a shock for me, he also got Hot Rocks on tape from years ago but I never liked at the time.
Then for 2-3 years I was into Queen because his Greatest Hits album were big here but when Voodoo Lounge come out THAT was the REAL shock.
I didn't go to the '95 concerts here, I was only 11 years still but I saw the shows on TV and were amazing.
A real fan since then.
November 29th, 2004 10:12 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
My dad bought Steel Wheels in Christmas of 1989, I was only 7 years old but Sad Sad Sad and Mixed Emotions were a shock for me, he also got Hot Rocks on tape from years ago but I never liked at the time.
Then for 2-3 years I was into Queen because his Greatest Hits album were big here but when Voodoo Lounge come out THAT was the REAL shock.
I didn't go to the '95 concerts here, I was only 11 years still but I saw the shows on TV and were amazing.
A real fan since then.

Soldatti, you're 22? Wow. I always 'pictured' you older. I guess your dedication seems beyond your years if that makes sense without offending.

November 29th, 2004 10:31 PM
gypsy >>How The Stones hooked you up?<<

They haven't...I'm still waiting for my dope.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood