ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Albert Golgman "The Lives of John Lennon". Bantam books. New York, 1989
Thanks Irina!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith, Ry Cooder, and the Honky Tonk Riff Return to archive
11-20-01 09:51 AM
sandrew So, I've always known about the incredible rumor that it's Ry Cooder playing the classic, open-G riff in "Honky Tonk Women." Now, in the new Stones biography "Old Gods Almost Dead" I come across Cooder's claim that Keith stole the lick from him and that he, Cooder, plays a lot of uncredited tracks on "Let it Bleed." Evidently, he came away from his experience with the Stones with a bad taste in his mouth, as he's quoted as saying that they're a "reptilian bunch of people" and "bloodsuckers."

Anyone familiar with Cooder's style can tell that he influenced Keith's playing, as Keith himself has said. But the germ of the "Keith riff," as far as I'm concerned, can be heard in songs as early as "19th Nervous Breakdown" -- even more so in "Street Fighting Man." Sounds to me like Cooder is a bit of an egomaniac. What do you all think?
11-21-01 11:24 AM
Street_Fighting_Man Ry Cooder was quoted on saying that??? The Stones actually ask Ry if he wanted to join the band, he turned them down because of the lifestyle he'll be facing, this was before they asked Taylor.
11-21-01 11:54 AM
sandrew Yeah, if memory serves, the quote was originally published in Rolling Stone. Cooder left the Stones camp feeling very bitter. He was shocked at their behavior, especially their treatment of Brian Jones. (Cooder probably wouldn't have felt so sympathetic if he knew what kind of character Jones was - an abusive paranoiac who was probably guilty of rape.) Anyway, I think Cooder was being a little paranoid himself about the Honky Tonk riff. . .
11-22-01 07:01 AM
robbluedog Ry Cooder claimed that the Stones somehow 'ripped him off' regarding the Honky Tonk Women opening guitar riff. I've also read that Brian Jones contributed to that riff as well, before Cooder joined the sessions.

What I think Ry Cooder was really saying was that Keith just generally appropriated Ry's style of open tuning slide playing. To bear this out Ry claims Keith wiped some of the parts that he played on 'Let it Bleed' and substituted them with his own playing, but copying them near note for note. One would imagine this may refer to songs like Love in Vain, where Ry is featured playing the mandolin. Maybe Ry played the original electric slide part too?

But it is important to remember that Brian Jones was the one who brought open tuning slide to the Stones and it has always been a part of their sound - in every era.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.